click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 2 Problems & Issues

Old 06-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #41
REDFAZER03

If yours grenaded then you have pieces of magnet in your oil pan. A couple of oil changes along with filter should take care of it. It’s nonferrous so should not create a lot of grinding action.

The shield is titanium or some other nonferrous metal otherwise it could not produce current.
07 Raven. Ivanized Stage 4, Motodynamic Screen, Pirelli Diablo Corsa, R1 shock, Sargent Seat, Arrow/Graves All Ti, NGK Iridium, Evotech hanger, PC5, Rizoma Rearsets, LED Integrated Tailight, Valter Moto LED signals, Copperdawg Radiator Guard, Ivan's Flash, Lars, AIS delete. Graves EXUP delete, S/W Mototech mirror extensions. CRG Levers. Motovation USA Sliders & Bar End Weights. Lowered w/ PSR lowering link & PSR adjustable side stand. Dyno tuned tweaked map. 146 HP. ,35 MPG
REDFAZER03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:04 AM   #42
REDFAZER03

You can do me a huge favor by not miss quoting me. I never said there was anything wrong with Yamaha‘s manufacturing. I am an engineer and I understand that sometimes one design is replaced by a better one. What I am saying is that once you know you have a problem and customers are coming to you with very expensive repairs a decent company like maybe Apple, would offer to replace the part at no cost. If it’s bad enough you issue a recall. But Yamaha as a crappy company is dodging responsibility. I have had both the bad rotor and the cracked frame so in future I’ll be buying Kawasaki bikes, like the Ninja 1000 which is very similar to our FZ1. Thank you for playing what’s my gripe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
EVERY company has their faults, and bad designs. Simply saying Yamaha sucks and has crappy manufacturing is quite obtuse.
07 Raven. Ivanized Stage 4, Motodynamic Screen, Pirelli Diablo Corsa, R1 shock, Sargent Seat, Arrow/Graves All Ti, NGK Iridium, Evotech hanger, PC5, Rizoma Rearsets, LED Integrated Tailight, Valter Moto LED signals, Copperdawg Radiator Guard, Ivan's Flash, Lars, AIS delete. Graves EXUP delete, S/W Mototech mirror extensions. CRG Levers. Motovation USA Sliders & Bar End Weights. Lowered w/ PSR lowering link & PSR adjustable side stand. Dyno tuned tweaked map. 146 HP. ,35 MPG
REDFAZER03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #43
Marquis
FZ1S

What are your thoughts on the £20-£50 stator, I've seen on e-bay I'm thinking of buying a cheap stator to get me back on the road, until i have enough money to pay for an oem rotor. Or until it explodes. whichever comes first.
Has anybody bought the stator from RMStator?
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:31 PM   #44
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Here's a thought, don't waste your time or money on a cheap yet critical part. The situation from Yamaha sucks bollocks, but do yourself a favor and use the correct new part from Yamaha. If you plan to ride the thing til the wheels fall off, this is the only way to go. But, good luck.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:46 PM   #45
rdcusmc

I understand saving a couple bucks as much as the next guy. This is not a time to go cheap. Get the right part and pay. You are not just purchasing the stator - you are buying insurance against future repair. Do it right one time and forget about it. Peace of mind is worth the extra scratch.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:33 PM   #46
MyYammi

Hello all, I have a 2009 FZ1 with a bit over 17K on it. Well I took the plunge & picked up the " revised " Rotor & a new gasket.
I thought about buying it on Fleabay. A vender in Florida had 1 left ( he claimed ) for $348.00. I'm in California & I decided to just go with a known reputable company just in case anything were to go wrong. I got the part & gasket from Partzilla. It was $371 from them. Free shipping.
I got the case cover off & my stock rotor looked factory fresh. It pains me to pull out a perfectly good looking/working part. But, too many stories about the thing eating itself alive & I just can't take the chance. It's a pricey fix. But, I have peace of mind. Installation went pretty smooth. Made sure to check the volts output. 14.2 at idle. I have to agree with the other guys. Spend the money. Buy the revised one. It's good peace of mind.
MyYammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:37 AM   #47
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Great first post. Welcome and congrats on the upgrade.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:10 AM   #48
Squisher

I am a new owner of a 08 fz1 te. Today I just pulled the sidecover and checked my stator rotor with fingers crossed it may have been changed. But no dice so now I'm upgrading it. Curious if other Canadians read this where they have purchased this part from. Cheapest I can find online is partzilla but after exchange and shipping it's pretty pricey. I'm going to call the dealer on Monday but I'm not hopeful they'll be any cheaper. Also curious if anyone here has run the rmstator replacement rotor. It's no longer available on their website but I may call them too just to see if they're going to make another run or not.

Regardless I'd rather pay now then get stranded or risk schrapnel in the motor. My bike is bone stock and I'd sure rather be spending on upgrades but it is what it is. Worst part has been explaining to the wife why this is 'nescessary' after just purchasing the bike less than a month ago.

Sure appreciate all of the info here on the stator rotor problem. I've been reading and reading lots of great info here. One heck of a resource.
Squisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #49
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Here is an excellent video, which helped me recently complete the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoQ5ROywKto

Holding the rotor in place while removing the cover and installing the cover through the port hole in the cover with a long implement (phillips screwdriver worked well for me) is key, as is holding the cover with fingertips while going back together. The magnets are strong, the poor bloke in the video pinched his finger pretty good, for the benefit of mankind. I made sure to avoid that scenario while doing my bike's rotor, which looked perfect by the way, as were the bearings.

The peace of mind is worth the cash.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:35 PM   #50
Squisher

Thanks. That is the vid I watched already. Pretty well done. Everything is apart at this point and there's no way I'm putting the old failure prone one back in. Tomorrow I'll be making a couple calls and ordering the new one up. The riding season where I'm at in the interior of BC is still about a month away so no rush but not far off either.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:30 AM   #51
old sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
Also curious if anyone here has run the rmstator replacement rotor. It's no longer available on their website but I may call them too just to see if they're going to make another run or not.
I've created an account at RMStator to get notification if they do run a new batch. We'll see what happens.

Russ
old sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #52
Squisher

I appreciate the input and have gotten on that same list. I did just talk to them too and their replacement rotors are manufactured in China and they are saying that they were held up in quarantine due to corona virus of all frigging things. Ruining my portfolio and now ruining my access to cheap motorcycle parts! Someone's got to get that virus sorted!!

They could give no solid date on expected delivery.

So now I'm really humming and hawing over this whole thing? Wait to pay about half price for a Chinese part or bite the bullet on oem here in a week......but twice the cost.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:10 AM   #53
old sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
I appreciate the input and have gotten on that same list. I did just talk to them too and their replacement rotors are manufactured in China and they are saying that they were held up in quarantine due to corona virus of all frigging things.
That's good intel. Thanks. I read their webpage and assumed these were being made somewhere in Quebec. I didn't realize they were Chinese-made, which will certainly factor into my decision making...
old sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #54
Squisher

Yah. I'm checking a couple of local(I'm in Vernon, BC) Yamaha dealers to see what they might do price wise but if they aren't competitive I'm just going to have to pull the pin at partzilla I guess. The $50us shipping they're quoting and then whatever our government decides to steal for taxes/duty plus the exchange rate is looking like just over $600cdn I'm guessing by the time the dust settles. That includes the gasket and a couple o rings too. I'm not really hopeful local dealers are going to beat that though.

I have a love hate relationship with spending money on bikes. I love spending money on upgrades I hate spending money on repairs. I'd sure rather be having my ecu tuned or looking at exhaust etc with that $600. When 6 bills sails out of the bank account and the bike is exactly the same as it was........I find that depressing.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:54 PM   #55
Squisher

Depressing or not. The snow is melting fast so I got the oem coming from 'zilla. Now the depressing part is my new bike is apart in the shop and I can't even start it! Even though I'm in my 40's every spring as riding season approaches I just about lose my mind. Lol. And this year with the new to me fz1 about to start its first season has got to be about the worst.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:53 PM   #56
sloowpoke

It's time to retire to someplace where you can ride year round. It worked for me 30 years ago at 42 :-)
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:48 AM   #57
Squisher

Man. I'd love to retire to where there is no winter. Just not in the cards yet though. Besides if I retired then who would do all this work?
Old 03-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #58
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Tossing this in here to encourage those on the fence. From an FZ1 Facebook group post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rotor.jpg (117.6 KB, 109 views)

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #59
jd14771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Tossing this in here to encourage those on the fence. From an FZ1 Facebook group post
Ah that's nothing. Every single one of my magnets exploded and ended up in the oil pan/bottom end, oil pick-up tube, and some fine grained remains in the top end.

Replace now or forever risk having to remove both the bottom and top end in future.
jd14771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:51 PM   #60
Squisher

Having dropped the cash and now waiting on parts I appreciate these posts. Helps ease the pain.....

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 2 Problems & Issues