make a donation to the fz1oa
fz1oa chat
fz1oa picture uploader
maintain your own photo albums
locate fz1oa members
search the entire board
click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2018, 07:38 AM   #41
dasrider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central NC
Posts: 283
I've been through countless gauntlet gloves over the years. As for the higher-end stuff I've owned two pairs of Held Phantoms, Held Air Stream, A* GP-Pro, Racer High Racer, Racer R-Safe and Knox Handroid.

Mind you, I typically wait for a good deal to come around on closeout or via the classifieds. I'll be honest, the Alpinestars GP-Pro are still my favorite fitting glove I've owned so far. Unfortunately a relatively low speed street crash brought about their demise and caused me some tendon damage. This was back in 2010. Since then I won't own a glove without some sort of scaphoid protection.

Currently I am using a pair of Racer R-Safe gloves when it's warm out. The fit is on par with Alpinestars and I am very happy with them so far, although they've never been crash tested. The stitching, quality of materials and safety features are all top-notch compared to anything else I've seen. The High Racer gloves were nice, but I wanted something a little more "substantial".

The Held Phantoms were very "substantial" and could probably survive a nuclear blast, hence why I went through two pairs over the years (one was purchased very much used). I never did try the Held Titan, which is their top of the line glove. I used the Air-Streams strictly for the worst part of summer on the street. They let air go right through the gloves which is nice on those 90F+ days. The protection isn't as good as the other race gloves, but seemed like they would do enough in a crash.

I really liked the Knox Handroids for the fit. The exoskeleton thingies were a bit hokie and the Boa lacing system, while nice, was fairly bulky imo. I preferred a more traditional race glove honestly.

If I were to give a recommendation I'd say look at the Held Phantom or R-Safe gloves for the best protection:cost ratio.
dasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:42 AM   #42
okrider
Registered User
 
okrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,207
I just got this as a entry level track glove: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LUSOMIM...ding=UTF8&th=1

Had to jump on it for $30. I guess it's become $45ish now. Has good reviews on revzilla and is normally $110. If you're a medium and like white, I'd go for it
__________________
'08 Red (Pepper)
Perf: Yoshi TRC CF slip-on, VCyclenut, AIS, BMC, Graves VStacks, Lars, R1 shock(Satan V4), R1 forks, R1 brakes(master/calipers), Galfer steel lines
Other: BMS seat, custom highway pegs, ZG touring windshield, T-Rex, Throttlemeister, Yoshi fender elim w/ BMW signals
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:34 AM   #43
OldBiker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 1,551
Don't laugh but I like the Bilt Sprint glove from Cycle Gear. They are usually on sale for $29 or so. The downside is that their sizing is weird and one pair of XL fits well but another 2XL fits the same.

Their gauntlet glove is nice too.

I bought A* and was very disappointed by the fit, I have long thin fingers which require XL but the rest of the glove is too big for my hands.

For winter gloves I found the Cor-Tech scarab as being comfy and fits to size.

I do not track ride.
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:52 AM   #44
okrider
Registered User
 
okrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,207
I've bought two pairs of A* gloves from Cycle gear, only to return them a week later. Doing some research on said gloves, I noticed that they are the lowest rated gloves A* makes. Then I realized that applies to most of the stuff Cycle Gear carries. The low quality products of some top quality brands. I will not be shopping at Cycle Gear anytime soon.
__________________
'08 Red (Pepper)
Perf: Yoshi TRC CF slip-on, VCyclenut, AIS, BMC, Graves VStacks, Lars, R1 shock(Satan V4), R1 forks, R1 brakes(master/calipers), Galfer steel lines
Other: BMS seat, custom highway pegs, ZG touring windshield, T-Rex, Throttlemeister, Yoshi fender elim w/ BMW signals
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #45
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob
 
theunderfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 4,675
Bumping this as my Icon Overlords are getting to their end of life, and I'm wondering if there's any other sweet deals out right now.
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #46
longeze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 877
It's a toss up for me between Racer and Knox Handroid's, but only because I haven't found a "used once" pair of Held Titans in my size - yet. As unlikely as it appears, the Handroids are actually REALLY comfortable. The problem is that they got wet once and now the stitching has come apart on one of the fingers. Disappointing, considering they're only a yr old & were kinda pricey. It makes me question their ability to do their job when needed most... Ride Safe!
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #47
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob
 
theunderfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 4,675
The Racer R-Safe looked good, not sure if they're still around. Held Airstream II is looking nice as well. I'm looking for full guantlets with track-forward features, but an emphasis on airflow as well. It's a tough part to dial in, but a lot of my riding is 80*+, with 90* not being uncommon on the streets or track. Any hotter and I stay in the car haha.
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:38 AM   #48
Wonger
Registered User
 
Wonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fayetteville, Ga
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderfighter View Post
The Racer R-Safe looked good, not sure if they're still around. Held Airstream II is looking nice as well. I'm looking for full guantlets with track-forward features, but an emphasis on airflow as well. It's a tough part to dial in, but a lot of my riding is 80*+, with 90* not being uncommon on the streets or track. Any hotter and I stay in the car haha.
Not trying to overly sell here, as someone will buy them and I like this forum a lot, but don't discount the kangaroo gloves, simply because they aren't perforated... The Titan Evo's may be a bit much for strictly street riding when the Phantom would work, but my hands never feel overly sweaty in Held kangaroo gloves. The only parts that get hot are the Kevlar padded areas, but I wear them over my sleeves, so I rarely notice. I'm in Atlanta, so I'm familiar with hot AF and about 85% humidity.
__________________
Brub Brrrrububb Brrrubbubbrubb...
Wonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #49
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob
 
theunderfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger View Post
Not trying to overly sell here, as someone will buy them and I like this forum a lot, but don't discount the kangaroo gloves, simply because they aren't perforated... The Titan Evo's may be a bit much for strictly street riding when the Phantom would work, but my hands never feel overly sweaty in Held kangaroo gloves. The only parts that get hot are the Kevlar padded areas, but I wear them over my sleeves, so I rarely notice. I'm in Atlanta, so I'm familiar with hot AF and about 85% humidity.
Oh I'm pretty set on kangaroo. My Icon Overlords are kangaroo palms and fingers, I don't know that I'd be able to transition backwards.
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #50
morgstang
"King of Clean"
 
morgstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brenham, Tx.
Posts: 1,644
Knox Handroids...
morgstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:54 PM   #51
killer5280
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
I've bought two pairs of A* gloves from Cycle gear, only to return them a week later. Doing some research on said gloves, I noticed that they are the lowest rated gloves A* makes. Then I realized that applies to most of the stuff Cycle Gear carries. The low quality products of some top quality brands. I will not be shopping at Cycle Gear anytime soon.
You do know they are joined with Revzilla, right?

They sell good stuff and they sell not so good stuff. I like Cycle Gear for some things, but buyer beware.
__________________
2001 Yamaha FZ1
1998 Honda VTR1000 Superhawk
killer5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:45 AM   #52
WDD
Registered User
 
WDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 9,056
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...classic-gloves


Great gloves, and last a lifetime.
__________________
Not sure what I should put down for my signature.....
WDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:28 AM   #53
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master
 
Neanderthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 1,011
^ I'm a Held guy and have had great results with their gloves, but be aware that the US distributor of Held is no longer bringing new stock into the US due to their political feelings on where most Held gloves are made. So, as current US inventory runs out (you'll see "out of stock" on a lot of Held gloves), they are becoming harder to find. I found that FC Moto in Germany is a huge retailer of Held, and recently got my last pair (Held "Spot") there. Depending on the dollar, it can actually save you money ordering from Europe anyway. But.... you better be pretty sure of the size so you don't have to return anything.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:59 AM   #54
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?
 
gotfz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: SoCal
Posts: 21,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
^ I'm a Held guy and have had great results with their gloves, but be aware that the US distributor of Held is no longer bringing new stock into the US due to their political feelings on where most Held gloves are made. So, as current US inventory runs out (you'll see "out of stock" on a lot of Held gloves), they are becoming harder to find. I found that FC Moto in Germany is a huge retailer of Held, and recently got my last pair (Held "Spot") there. Depending on the dollar, it can actually save you money ordering from Europe anyway. But.... you better be pretty sure of the size so you don't have to return anything.
Unless history is repeating itself that "political" issue happened 17 years ago with Helimot refusing to sell Held budget products manufactured in Pakistan rather than Germany and Hungary. They've been thru a couple other US distributors since then. It wouldn't surprise me if another one folded.

Regardless, Held, like most large brands make crap "budget" lines of gear as well as great gloves like Steves.
__________________
SCRIMSHAW!
gotfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:52 AM   #55
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master
 
Neanderthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
Unless history is repeating itself that "political" issue happened 17 years ago with Helimot refusing to sell Held budget products manufactured in Pakistan rather than Germany and Hungary. They've been thru a couple other US distributors since then. It wouldn't surprise me if another one folded.

Regardless, Held, like most large brands make crap "budget" lines of gear as well as great gloves like Steves.
Apparently itís happening again, I tried to order the black Held Spot (size 9) from several US vendors back in September and it was a Revzilla rep that gave me this info. It is sounding a lot like itís the same ownership that imports Held and is just changing their company name, perhaps.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:12 AM   #56
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?
 
gotfz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: SoCal
Posts: 21,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Apparently itís happening again, I tried to order the black Held Spot (size 9) from several US vendors back in September and it was a Revzilla rep that gave me this info. It is sounding a lot like itís the same ownership that imports Held and is just changing their company name, perhaps.
Hmm. The Held usa site:

HELD-USA CONTACT INFORMATION
If you want to know more about our products, then please contact us:

By phone: (949) 215-0893
E-mail: held-sna@schuberth.com
or by writing to the folowing postal address:

Distributed by:
Schuberth North America
33 Journey, Suite 200
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656
__________________
SCRIMSHAW!
gotfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #57
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master
 
Neanderthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 1,011
All I know is what Revzilla told me back in September. Irregardless, just letting folks know to check the Euro sites if they are having any trouble getting Held gloves from US retailers.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #58
jared p
^ guy
 
jared p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 584
Don't skimp on gloves. Cheap gloves blow stitches at seams and burn through cheap materials and break fingers. Cheap helmets still work. Cheap boots can still work. Cheap suit, will most likely not work. I'm usually cheap with stuff, but I don't cheap out on my gloves.
jared p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #59
old77zrider
Registered User
 
old77zrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Was Long Island now Concord NC
Posts: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
Im cheap and cant do 175 on gloves but thanks for the lead.
old77zrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:29 PM   #60
_Will_
Registered User
 
_Will_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Hall County Ga.
Posts: 771
+1 on Knox, a good chunk of the last 12k miles have been in either their leather Orsa short cuff or the full gauntlet Recon which I think has been replaced by the Nexos.

https://www.planet-knox.com/product/...rcycle-gloves/

https://www.planet-knox.com/product/...t-glove-black/

Find them on sale on occasion and they're fairly inexpensive. The bolo system works flawlessly and is always comfortable and secure. I haven't run the handroid model, a bit pricey for my needs and the Orsa and Recon have always felt safe. I credit them with the advent of the hard palm slider, most companies previously just ran some type of foam that could drag on the road but hard sliders are becoming more common.
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Questions? Comments?
Click on name below to contact via PM
Rabeet (Admin) Desmo (Admin)

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website and Message Board Contents Copyright 2001-2007 FZ1OA
The marks YAMAHAģ and FZ1ģ are used under license from Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.
The information on this web site is NOT approved or endorsed by Yamaha Motor Corporation in any way.
Page generated in 0.08395 seconds with 12 queries