register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 12-31-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Samsung DLP HLN507W - Remote Not Working After CW replace

I just replaced the screeching color wheel in my DLP by following this guide. When done, the TV seems to work fine except the remote control does not seem to function at all. The controls on the side of the TV operate everything as normal. The remote has fresh batteries and I can see the light on it come on so I know the remote is making the attempt.

I suspect either a wire was connected erroneously or something came loose while I was futzing with the other components. Before I rip this bad boy apart again () does anyone have any suggestions on which wire or components I should focus my efforts on? I appreciate any help (yes, I googled it).

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Humble yourself, or life will do it for you.
Faa Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

You are a brave man, that job is a lesson in Tia engeneering. Assuming the batteries are phased right (don't laugh) the IR receiver connector inside the front panel gets hot and fails with time. The actual receiver positioning on Sammy has to be in just the right spot, you will know it when you see it. Test it before you put it all back together this time. Good ruck !
Old 01-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Can't test it without putting everything back. The wires won't reach if anything is pulled out even slightly and there are sensors to indicate whether all panels are closed.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Old 01-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

I figured it out. Without pulling out the guts again, I was able to poke around and see the wire that became disconnected and plugged it back in. All works now. It makes me nervous to poke around in TV's. I know there are some components that will kill you if touched and I don't always know which parts those are. I was cool the first time because the TV had been off and unplugged for about 4 months.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Old 01-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Good deal, next time the thing fails, replace it with a new monitor.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

The goofy part is, I already replaced it with a plasma and I am giving it to my brother in law. I don't like giving things to people if they aren't in good order.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Old 04-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
skleinkip

This is a long shot, since your post was over 6 years ago. I just replaced my color wheel and have the same problem that you described. I've searched the internet for a solution (which is how I got here), but have only found several others with the same problem, but no specifics on how to fix it. If you're still out there, do you remember specifically how you fixed it?
skleinkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
loosenut
Now where did that come from?

I did a bunch of R&D at Texas Instruments building the chips that make the DLP possible. Fun stuff! Sadly, Plasma beat it to market and was thinner from the get go.

2007 Yamaha FZ1
2005 GasGas EC300 (with plate), 2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:27 PM   #9
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

If you have a Sammy HLN anything in 2016 I think you are wasting your time with it. The color wheel, JVC's light engine and most old video displays can't be easily fixed. I have a warehouse of old electronics if you like to tinker.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:46 PM   #10
Bruce in Tucson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboot View Post
If you have a Sammy HLN anything in 2016 I think you are wasting your time with it. The color wheel, JVC's light engine and most old video displays can't be easily fixed. I have a warehouse of old electronics if you like to tinker.
Replacing a color wheel, DMP, even ballast resistor on a DLP takes some tech & guts. Parts as mentioned are getting scarce or NLA and when available can be iffy quality or very expensive. You see DLP's (Samsung & Mitsubishi mainly) on Craigslist "just needs a bulb..." Ya, right! :-)
As Paul Simon said "Everything put together sooner or later falls apart."
Bruce in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:59 PM   #11
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

My Panasonic 42" plasma from 2006, now in my college daughters apartment, still produces a very crisp, bright image. The 60" Samsung plasma in my living room allows me to skip crowded public theaters. If either one quits, they will simply be replaced, as it is not economically feasible to spend time or money screwing around when a replacement can be had for so little.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #12
skleinkip

Smile THE answer for anyone out there searching

I had the same problem. Spent over 6 hours searching web via forums and YouTube videos and found several people with same problem but no mention of the solution. Didn't want to open it back up until I knew what I was looking for/at. Joined "JustAnswer.com" to ask an electronics "expert". Both "experts" were clueless and another waste of time. Finally found THE answer in a YouTube video posted by "Tesla500", entitled "DLP rear projection TV part 2". At the 2:11 minute mark in the video, he clearly points out the IR sensor location and corresponding connector. Armed with this knowledge, I opened the TV back up, saw the sensor wasn't connected, found the missing connector inside and put it back on without having to completely pull all the guts out of the unit again. Remote fully operational again. Hope this helps anyone out there that might be looking for the same solution.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #13
skleinkip

Just wanted to add that I have Samsung model HLN617W.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #14
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

I hated my old 46" Samsung DLP with an extraordinary passion. In fact, it turned me off from Samsung altogether. I haven't purchased on thing by that brand since.

Replaced it with a 42" Panasonic Plasma which is still going strong. It became a long-term loaner to my wife's cousin when we moved to a bigger place and put in a 58" Panasonic LED. Very pleased with the Panasonic products.

-T
Old 05-27-2016, 04:06 PM   #15
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Samsung and VW forevah ! Actually I switched to Sony but you know...

If you had one bad girlfriend would you give up on women ?
One bad steak and no more beef ?
One bad Yamaha and Honda only ?

You talented types who want to play with vintage displays, bring a trailer I have a room full. Most work just fine, just dated.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #16
Rabeet
Boys of Walmart

I never understood why people bought DLPs.

Then again our Samsung LCD, circa 2008, still works great and it was basically a random purchase because I wandered into Circuit City (RIP) that day.

I always owned Sonys and miss that brand. But we've had good luck with Samsung so far. We still have a 27" Sony CRT circa 1998 that the wife still watches. It's too heavy to drag to the curb so I haven't replaced it.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule? - Anton Chigurh

If it ain't it'll do til the mess gets here. - Ed Tom Bell

He wants to know the names of all those he's better than - Little Hitlers Elvis Costello
Rabeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:43 AM   #17
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

DLP was the next big thing, better than the traditional 3 gun rear projection turds available at the time. Digital and HDTV was evolving and manufacturers are always chasing technology.

Sony is still viable Beet, just get the XBR line.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:01 AM   #18
2wheelmax

I replaced the light bulb in my DLP before it gave up the ghost after 6 years. Went to Samsung plasma which is still going strong after 5 years. I will be selling it at the end of the year because we are moving. It will be replaced by a 60"-65" LED to hang on the wall.
2wheelmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry