register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 12-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #21
Alley Oop
Proof That Man Rode Dinosaurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboot View Post
I'm assuming the OP has a basic modem going to his apple wireless device. Shut off the providers radio if not, check range.
Yes, personal Motorola modem.

The Comcast contracted installer had orders to complete mandatory install of the Comcast combination modem/router/IP phone unit--even though I had my own modem. So I was treated to the hassle of having to take their monster combo unit (which they of course planned to charge me monthly rent for) back to a local Comcast store and remove it from my bill. It might have been Comcast that recently settled a case for billing customers for items they did not order.
Alley Oop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #22
Alley Oop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboot View Post
Call tech support or email AO
Good idea! So I called about connecting a printer to the XWR-1750 and believe or not they told me--in these exact words (twice because I made him repeat it)--"the USB ports do not work." "They're on there, but they don't work."

Extra points for honesty. But that means the 1750, however great a router it is, will likely not work for me.

Luxul support said that the USB ports DO work on the more expensive XWR-3100, and a printer could be connected. Whether this is a plug-and-play operation, I don't know. I'm guessing some additional software will be involved.

So I'm not sure at this point how to move forward. One thing I'm considering, since the Apple router has been working fine, is simply to upgrade to the newest Apple router which has more power and more antennas. And since my current Apple router works okay, I could use it as as extended base station with the new one acting as the primary.

AirPort base stations: Setting up and configuring an extended wireless network (802.11n)

In addition, I could relocate the primary router from the opposite corner of the second floor to a more central location closer to the back patio.

As an FYI, my bottom floor is concrete block with concrete poured through it. So I'm guessing that's why the Apple router is having a hard time on the back porch outside the building.

When I had problems with my old Linksys router, a network engineer couldn't even get it working. I wasted months trying to configure the thing, so I'm still feeling a little snakebit. As I don't have the networking expertise or time to fiddle with these things, I'm leaning toward the Apple upgrade.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:23 PM   #23
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Your printer is wireless. That eliminates the need for a USB port.

I have had very good luck with the TP Link powerline adapters - plug one in near your incoming router, and relocate your wifi router to a better spot.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #24
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

A for effort and research AO, the cheap and easy experiment suggested by Andy would be my next step if I were you. I bet your printer will set up in WiFi mode with some effort, they almost always give us a hard time.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:23 PM   #25
Alley Oop

You guys know all the tricks! I'll read up on those powerline adapters. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #26
WDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
So I could turn off the wifi off on my current dsl modem router and plug a cat5 from it to a. new router and possibly get faster speeds?
For what it's worth, that is my set up. The wireless built into my cable modem wasn't really that great. (A cable company cutting costs? Go figure.) I figured out how to turn it off and then ran a Cat 5 from it to my Arris modem.

Wireless printing using a wired printer? No problem, as long as the router has a USB port. I plugged my old-school printer that requires a wire into the Arris modem. Then I installed the printer into my home network. I then installed that networked printer into the laptops we have. As long as a laptop is in the home network, you can use that wired printer.

(One late night my wife was working at the computer desk where the printer is. I had a laptop upstairs and started printing a word doc filled with nothing but "redrum, redrum" "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" "Bu wa ha ha ha". Why she married me is still a mystery.....)

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry