register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 01-19-2017, 03:33 PM   #41
barryc

Not knowing how computers work is my handicap.
For instance, now that I have 24mbps I reason that a i7 cpu would make everything faster than a i5, 16mg of ram would be faster than 8. Can you tell me why this is not the case?

Thanks guys, I'm learning a ton!
Old 01-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #42
Amadeus
*Believe*

Today's 15" units are monsters! I really like the size of the 13" units but you can't find'em with dedicated graphics cards like the 15's. I'm wondering if the smaller chassis of the 13's wont accommodate them. I've looked at some of the newer integrated graphic cards like Intels Iris 540 (in the new XPS 13) but they just dont have the h.p. I need. Any thoughts on a workaround there?
Old 01-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #43
barryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
Today's 15" units are monsters! I really like the size of the 13" units but you can't find'em with dedicated graphics cards like the 15's. I'm wondering if the smaller chassis of the 13's wont accommodate them. I've looked at some of the newer integrated graphic cards like Intels Iris 540 (in the new XPS 13) but they just dont have the h.p. I need. Any thoughts on a workaround there?
Hey, this is my question and answer thread Fred,
Old 01-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #44
Amadeus
*Believe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc View Post
Hey, this is my question and answer thread Fred,
Shoot I'm sorry barry, didn't mean to overstep. I'm having to learn this all over again myself so I thought keeping the questions going would help everyone in the boat.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #45
barryc

No worries bud, just kidding..
Old 01-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #46
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Quote:
For instance, now that I have 24mbps I reason that a i7 cpu would make everything faster than a i5, 16mg of ram would be faster than 8. Can you tell me why this is not the case?
While an I7 is technically "faster" than an i5, the higher performance doesn't necessarily translate to the user experience.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #47
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

think of processor speeds in 2 different ways. There's speed and there's bandwidth.
Speed is like having a car that tops out at 150 mph. If all you can run it on are curvy residential streets where the best you can do is 80, that extra speed is pretty useless except for the hope that one day it's still running when they open new long straight roads but by then, cars are doing 200 and the 150 mph car now costs half of what you paid for it. For most users, speed should be prioritized over cores or threads because most software runs on only one or two cores and for short durations so the speedy processor will chew through it.

Bandwidth depends on the number cores and threads per core. Think of cores as faucets and threads as small hoses. Obviously the more faucets, the more water you can get and the more hoses per faucet can carry more water per faucet. If you are filling a pool, the more the better. But if you are filling a kiddie pool, it overkill. Some pools only allow one faucet at a time so having more faucets doesn't really help much (in this analogy, pools = software).
Finally the more RAM the better is not always the case. As with the other components, you can have 120GB of RAM but if you only ever use 4GB at peak then there's a lot of waste. The only people that need more than 8GB of RAM are gamers, CAD designers, and multimedia creators (video, audio, etc). The latter 2 can benefit from up to 32GB of RAM but casual users and gamers will see little to no benefit.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Humble yourself, or life will do it for you.
Faa Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #48
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Quote:
What do you need the HP for? They do have external graphics cards. I've not used one but may be worth checking out. The GFX cards they put i laptops these days are pretty beefy depending on what you want to spend. I've not looked into a gaming laptop in quite a while so not sure what's available in 13" vs 15" but they'll probably be available in both...just the 13" may be a lot thicker.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Humble yourself, or life will do it for you.
Faa Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #49
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
While an I7 is technically "faster" than an i5, the higher performance doesn't necessarily translate to the user experience.
A faster processor won't make your internet download speed faster, the new hardware will work better with new technology. Watching video at that speed may buffer a bit, true 4K content will be tough. If you are on DSL in a growing area make sure you are getting what you pay for, we see wimpy broadband speeds when all the neighbors come home and log on.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #50
Amadeus
*Believe*

I haven't seen a release date but I think I'm going to hold off for one of these.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eng...android-att-us
Old 02-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #51
WDD

Quote:

Thanks guys, I'm learning a ton!
Sometimes I feel like this guy.....

Old 03-19-2017, 10:20 PM   #52
Butt Head

Quote:
Dell's Alienware 13 gaming laptops have Nvidia Geoforce GTX cards
Butt Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:28 AM   #53
didier9

I just happened to buy myself a refurbished Dell Latitude E6430 with N i7-3740QM. I had the same model (with an i5 CPU) at work so I knew it was a dependable machine, with a great display (1600x900), very bright and better keyboard than many of the newer machines. With 8GB of RAM, the thing moves. I do a lot of software development and a typical project that took 45 seconds to compile on my old dual core (with hybrid drive) takes 5 seconds, and it does not even have an SSD yet.Got it off Amazon, refurbished by Dell, so it looks absolutely like new. Best $415 I spent in a long time.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #54
Amadeus
*Believe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Head View Post
Dell's Alienware 13 gaming laptops have Nvidia Geoforce GTX cards
Yeah I looked at those as well but after getting familiar with GC benchmark scores I found that the newer integrated HD620 graphics that is matched with the kaby lake processors was plenty of beef for my needs. I ended up getting a great deal on a 7th gen Dell XPS 13" which I absolutely love so far.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #55
didier9

Quote:
Yeah I looked at those as well but after getting familiar with GC benchmark scores I found that the newer integrated HD620 graphics that is matched with the kaby lake processors was plenty of beef for my needs. I ended up getting a great deal on a 7th gen Dell XPS 13" which I absolutely love so far.
These are really sweet machines. Display just a tad too small for me. Funny how I notice a big difference between 13" and 14", but not so much between 14" and 15".
Old 10-17-2017, 01:07 AM   #56
gikstar

Downgrade Option

Quote:
When you buy laptops these days do you still have the option to downgrade to Win7?
You probably can but only with a system that comes with a PRO version of windows installed.
The best bet is to purchase a model that comes with Windows 7 Pro, which usually only comes on Business Class machines, such as the Dell Latitude and Dell Precision laptops. Other brands make Business Class laptops too. The big box stores generally do not carry any business class laptops. You can purchase used or order right from the laptop maker.
The Dell Precision has 4 slots for memory, can be purchased with optional video cards and has space for 2 hard drives. I believe the new ones can take a M.2 style hard drive also.
Storing movies etc on a mini-sd card might work for a few people... me, I have an 8 bay NAS with 8 - 4Tb drives to house that type of stuff and it's setup as a Plex Server.
One nice feature on a laptop is a "backlit keyboard".
gikstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry