click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 10-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #21
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
Life without music . . . wow, how does your head not explode every now and then.

I dunno. Used to be into it long ago. Got some killer speakers for the home (big old Klipsch towers) spent a ton on the reciever etc etc.

At some point I just lost interest.

I subscribe to about 40 podcasts, so those keep me really busy.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #22
bmidd
Yet Another Gen1

I swap phones like I do bikes, often. That being said, I've been driving a Pixel XL since it came out and couldn't be any happier. Came from a 6s+

I really like the free Google Photo unlimited cloud storage, keeps all your photos and videos in their original hi-res format for free as long as you took it with the Pixel/XL. Takes as good a picture as my Nikon without the hassle of carrying it and the 4k video with stabilization is superb.

Life with Pixel is good, truly all day battery life and the stripped down OS is a plus. Like the Apple products, it just works, every time and with no issues. I have never owned a phone for a year and surprisingly I don't feel the need to upgrade to the Pixel2 XL at this point. I run the screen naked with just a Spigen Thin Armor case on it in a belt holster and the screen has held up to job site abuse with no scratches. I went out on a limb and go the 32GB model and no longer store hundreds of phones and videos on my phone, just grab them from the cloud if I need to share them. I also gave up on storing 3000 songs on my phone and ponied up the $10/month for Google Music, which gets you YouTube Red included, so no more ads on YouTube on any of your devices, computers or TVs. That alone is worth the $10 for me.
My lady drives the new S8 Plus or whatever it's called, the big one, it's a nice phone that has far too many added Samsung "features" for my taste.
Good Luck with your choice.
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #23
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmidd View Post
I really like the free Google Photo unlimited cloud storage, keeps all your photos and videos in their original hi-res format for free as long as you took it with the Pixel/XL.
I'm not a fan of cloud or streaming anything. I want my music/photos/videos on my device to be available anytime and anywhere I need/want them. That said, I travel abroad a lot and many times to destinations where I have absolutely no cell/wi-fi (i.e. live aboard dive boat) so I don't want to pay cellular service charges or not have that stuff available to me. Plus, I don't necessarily want my pics and data stored somewhere that could potentially be the target of hackers, etc. Yeah, they can hack me personally but what are the odds that hackers will target me for my pics rather than a server containing data from thousands of users? I'm an old fart I guess.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Humble yourself, or life will do it for you.
Faa Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #24
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Quote:
I really like the free Google Photo unlimited cloud storage,
Yep, this is probably my favorite app on my iPhone! Since I use Gphotos for all of
my other digital pics (uploaded all of them years ago) I have my entire collection
available at all times. So cool to be able to find a photo from years ago and show
it to someone.

Also, since my i7 is only 32 GB, I have to be careful of space. This frees up massive amounts of space.

Hacking my photos? Eh, well. Guess anything is possible. But don't care. Far prefer the accessibility of all my pics from anywhere I needed
Old 10-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #25
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Far prefer the accessibility of all my pics from anywhere I needed as long as I have wif-fi or cell service.
FIFY

After looking into the Android platform more in-depth, the divide between the Apple and Android OS's is not quite what it used to be. I see a lot of android user complaints about lack of updates on hardware other than Google (including security patches), buggy bluetooth (which is why they are all in an uproar about no headphone jack in the Pixel 2), proprietary software hate (i.e. Samsung Touchwiz), and things like boot looping, etc.I guess neither is perfect.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Old 10-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #26
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Well, in my case I'm never out of cell range or Wifi. Also, the images stay on the phone until I decide to remove them.

I can see if you are roaming all the time and want to avoid $$ then maybe it would pay to keep them local? Not for me.

PS - I got a pair of AirPods awhile back. BRILLIANT!! Stupid expensive, but far and away
the best solution I've found for getting rid of wired earbuds. I use them on conference calls and people say I sound clear as a bell.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:19 PM   #27
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Yeah, I have Air Pods as well...the best thing is going out for a run and listening to muic from the Apple Watch to the Air Pods.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Old 10-18-2017, 06:00 PM   #28
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
Yeah I can see it to copy from the phone to the PC with Windows Explorer but putting files on it doesn't work.

Life without music . . . wow, how does your head not explode every now and then.
I've never found a way, other than adding the stuff to iTunes on your computer, and then syncing it to your phone.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:46 AM   #29
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

I believe there's software you can buy (maybe free with ads and crap) to browse the file system.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Old 10-19-2017, 05:34 AM   #30
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

I use a program called "iMazing" if I need to see into the iPhone's directories. I think it was about $40, it has the "Windows" look and feel to it. From what I remember, the free programs were crap and a security risk to use, as they were all hosted on-line.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:50 AM   #31
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
I use a program called "iMazing" if I need to see into the iPhone's directories. I think it was about $40, it has the "Windows" look and feel to it. From what I remember, the free programs were crap and a security risk to use, as they were all hosted on-line.
Thanks I'll look into that. I'd be happy to pay for something that works.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:55 AM   #32
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Ton of complaints about the Pixel 2 XL now including screen burn happening in just weeks. Yikes. I'm leaning towards a Galaxy S8+ at the moment.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Old 10-25-2017, 09:03 AM   #33
coat4gun

Have you looked at the OnePlus 5? I have had one for a couple months and am impressed. Same processor as the S8 and very little bloat-ware. Camera is supposed to be very good although I don't really use it to its fullest. Cheaper price wise than any comparable competition and the quality is very good. I have not used an iPhone since my 4s probably 4 years ago. Read it will get Oreo very soon too so not much behind the Nexus/Google phones.
coat4gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #34
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Doesn't look like a bad phone at all except I'm on Verizon and those don't work on Verizon. I'm not switching carriers, I travel a lot and VZW definitely has the best coverage as I've found out because many of the people I travel with have other carriers and many times I'm the only one with service .

Plus my work partially subsidizes the cost of my plan because I use it for work and getting that switched over to another carrier is a bother.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Old 10-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #35
coat4gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faa Q View Post
Doesn't look like a bad phone at all except I'm on Verizon and those don't work on Verizon. I'm not switching carriers, I travel a lot and VZW definitely has the best coverage as I've found out because many of the people I travel with have other carriers and many times I'm the only one with service .

Plus my work partially subsidizes the cost of my plan because I use it for work and getting that switched over to another carrier is a bother.
Good point about the radio. It never made sense to me why they don't have a CDMA version. My last Google phone the Nexus 5x had both in the same phone. That one had a know hardware issue that LG never really acknowledged that caused the phone to brick. Only thing that could be done was to send back for a new mother board. I opted to buy the OnePlus instead.
coat4gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #36
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

So my comment about my work subsidy got me thinking and solved my dilemma. Going to buy a Samsung S8+ or Note and keep my iPhone. Swap my sim cards between the two, use the Sammy as my daily driver and iPhone as a work phone. That way, which ever way I decide to go long term, I haven't lost all of my settings etc on my iPhone and I can take my time and really give Android a good long evaluation. Plus, I can keep my Apple watch to still use and I'll probably end up getting a Samsung Sport watch or Gear 3. I can also keep an eye on how well or poorly the iPX is received. Best Buy is running soem really good deals on the new Sammies! It's only another $20 a month to add another line to my plan.
Too many issues (potentially...still waiting official word from Google) with the Pixel 2 and frankly for the 128GB version, it's $950 and it doesn't have many of the features the S8+ has for about $300 less.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Old 10-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #37
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Well, I did exactly what I said above...bought an S8+ tonight. Now to get it charged and migrate my data.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry