register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 07-15-2016, 04:50 AM   #1
WDD

How to reinstall Windows 10?

How do I re install Windows 10 without loosing all of my apps and software?
Old 07-15-2016, 06:46 AM   #2
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/wind...ur-pc-feature/

I think this is for keeping your personal files, maybe not the apps/software. the store keeps up with your apps though.
2005 FZ1: RR Carb Stuff ▪ GPR Speed Cone Muffler ▪ ZG Sport Touring Screen ▪ devilsyam black frame plugs ▪ DanMoto Rearsets ▪ T-Rex Sliders ▪ Dirt Road Seat ▪ Adjustable Levers ▪ Bi Xenon HIDs ▪ Aux Lights ▪ LED Signals ▪ Pod Lights ▪ Kiwav Mirrors ▪ gen2 handlebar ▪ Multiguage ▪ Throttlemeister ▪ R6 Shock ▪ R1 Forks

theWolfTamer Chronicles
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:12 AM   #3
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

The whole point of a reinstall is to remove the changes that have been made that caused the system to become unusable/unstable, and bring it to a known clean state.

I've never seen a way to allow applications to persist across a reinstall.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #4
WDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
The whole point of a reinstall is to remove the changes that have been made that caused the system to become unusable/unstable, and bring it to a known clean state.

I've never seen a way to allow applications to persist across a reinstall.
Yeah, I kind of figured that. Several apps and programs I could do without, and the others (like Carbonite) I can get free and reinstalled without too much pain.

But not sure how to get Office (Excel, Word, etc.) reinstalled without having to buy a new copy.

The problem I'm having is that it keeps crashing because of failed updates. I've had to restore to a previous setting twice now when booting. But then when it tries to update Windows, it fails again.

Yeah, yeah....... "buy a Mac".........................
Old 07-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #5
shenny
lurker, occasional berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
Yeah, I kind of figured that. Several apps and programs I could do without, and the others (like Carbonite) I can get free and reinstalled without too much pain.

But not sure how to get Office (Excel, Word, etc.) reinstalled without having to buy a new copy.

The problem I'm having is that it keeps crashing because of failed updates. I've had to restore to a previous setting twice now when booting. But then when it tries to update Windows, it fails again.

Yeah, yeah....... "buy a Mac".........................
As long as you have the registration keys/licenses, it shouldn't be a problem to reinstall applications.

I had to do it last week after some glitch in one of the updates hosed my machine to the degree that it wouldn't launch most applications. I was able to get it into safe mode w/networking, where I had quite a bit of functionality still intact. Did as complete a back up as I could to an external drive, then did the reinstall via the recovery options found under Settings > Update & Security, choosing to keep my personal files/data. That was the most nerve wracking part, but it came back, basically like it was when I got it in new, but with my personal files still intact. From there, the application re-installs went off without a hitch.

Get yourself organized; keys, licenses, etc.; do as close to a duplicate image back up of your drive as possible (don't forget to get those hidden files). I'm of the mindset to have more crap available that I may or may not need, just in case.

I reloaded Office by signing into the Office website. They had the records of my purchase, followed the instructions to do a reinstall, downloaded the installation stub, and away it went, reinstalled with my license keys intact, no issues whatsoever.

Good luck.
shenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:12 AM   #6
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

I'm about to install linux on my windows 10 machine.
2005 FZ1: RR Carb Stuff ▪ GPR Speed Cone Muffler ▪ ZG Sport Touring Screen ▪ devilsyam black frame plugs ▪ DanMoto Rearsets ▪ T-Rex Sliders ▪ Dirt Road Seat ▪ Adjustable Levers ▪ Bi Xenon HIDs ▪ Aux Lights ▪ LED Signals ▪ Pod Lights ▪ Kiwav Mirrors ▪ gen2 handlebar ▪ Multiguage ▪ Throttlemeister ▪ R6 Shock ▪ R1 Forks

theWolfTamer Chronicles
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
AndyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenny View Post
As long as you have the registration keys/licenses, it shouldn't be a problem to reinstall applications.

I reloaded Office by signing into the Office website. They had the records of my purchase, followed the instructions to do a reinstall, downloaded the installation stub, and away it went, reinstalled with my license keys intact, no issues whatsoever.

This.. make yourself an office account online, then your registered product can be downloaded and reinstalled.

Which would you prefer?
Old 07-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #8
WDD

Looks like I can do the reinstall from my MicroSoft account as you suggested. Wouldn't have thought of that - THANKS!

"Looking for your product key? You don't need one anymore! Simply choose Install after you sign in to your My Account page while you're connected to the Internet and Office will install and activate automatically."

Now - do I really want to reinstall Windows 10 and blow all the apps away? Maybe the problem will just go away???
Old 07-15-2016, 07:26 PM   #9
AndyW

Getting your docs and such organized so you can move it to another machine, or this one re-imaged, is a good exercise. It lets you be confident in your backups..

Which would you prefer?
Old 07-16-2016, 09:09 AM   #10
WDD

The fun continues. It won't even re-set / reinstall windows. I tried last night and that failed.

All of my files are backed up on Carbonite, and I have access to all of the apps / software I need if I had to do a clean install.

This all began when I tried to update I tunes and it failed. Then the Windows update failed. I removed all Apple software (I tunes, etc.) and cleaned the registry, but nothing seems to work.

I can get all of the Windows updates to successfully install EXCEPT for
• Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3172985).

That one keeps crashing.

Any thoughts on what to do next?
Old 07-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #11
AndyW

Sign up for a forum like overclock.net, full of geeks that only care about computers, vs. a motorcycle forum with a handful of geek-ish riders...

Which would you prefer?
Old 07-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #12
shenny
lurker, occasional berserker

Quote:
The fun continues. It won't even re-set / reinstall windows. I tried last night and that failed.

All of my files are backed up on Carbonite, and I have access to all of the apps / software I need if I had to do a clean install.

This all began when I tried to update I tunes and it failed. Then the Windows update failed. I removed all Apple software (I tunes, etc.) and cleaned the registry, but nothing seems to work.

I can get all of the Windows updates to successfully install EXCEPT for
• Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3172985).

That one keeps crashing.

Any thoughts on what to do next?
Well that blows I found this while doing a little browsing re: your issue, at least worth a read. I've not done this myself , so I can't recommend one way or the other. But it is Microsoft Support suggested option, for whatever that's worth.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

more: a little more reading and it looks like this update is problematic for quite a few folks; the sheer size of it seems to be one of the larger (pun unavoidable) issues, in that it isn't fully downloaded when it tries to install and crashes. Several chiphead methods posted to get around it; here's a couple more links to check out.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-upd...kb3172985.html
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2a8ae45?auth=1
shenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #13
WDD

I gave up and took it to the PC shop. Appears that my hard drive is starting to fail, so as part of getting a new hard drive installed they'll install and update the Windows system. Two independent problems, or did the hard drive issue have something to do with the update problems? Don't know - kind of moot at this point.

This new fangled internet age is great - until you have to pay for it.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:48 PM   #14
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
I gave up and took it to the PC shop. Appears that my hard drive is starting to fail, so as part of getting a new hard drive installed they'll install and update the Windows system. Two independent problems, or did the hard drive issue have something to do with the update problems? Don't know - kind of moot at this point.

This new fangled internet age is great - until you have to pay for it.
You might consider having a SSD drive installed for C: drive. It will REALLY speed up the system.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #15
WDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
You might consider having a SSD drive installed for C: drive. It will REALLY speed up the system.
Yeah, I was thinking about that. But I've spent enough $ on this. And the pc isn't the newest. So maybe in 3 - 5 years when I get a new one I'll get with all the bells and whistles.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:43 AM   #16
Desmo
Mein Führer!

A new SSD will make it like new!!! Totally transformed my old (7 years?) Dell 15" laptop.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #17
mikros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
A new SSD will make it like new!!! Totally transformed my old (7 years?) Dell 15" laptop.
Yeah, same with my old Asus G7 laptop, I put a 250g ssd in it and it was a ridiculous performance increase. I made the original hard drive E: for storage and programs that don't need a lot of speed.

I'm nervous to try installing Win10 on it though, it was a big enough pain getting Win8.1 to install. It's pretty old.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:25 AM   #18
AndyW

Win 8 sucked big time, in every way. Although I'm a Mac user, I also have to work with Windows on occasion and building a Win10 system was simple.

Which would you prefer?
Old 07-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #19
mikros

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Win 8 sucked big time, in every way. Although I'm a Mac user, I also have to work with Windows on occasion and building a Win10 system was simple.
Oh man, I HATED Win8, I didn't know what it was like or I would have done Win7 at the time. ( I was coming from XP) 8.1 made it better but I'm still not a fan. I guess I should give 10 a try, or at least look harder at it.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #20
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikros View Post
Oh man, I HATED Win8, I didn't know what it was like or I would have done Win7 at the time. ( I was coming from XP) 8.1 made it better but I'm still not a fan. I guess I should give 10 a try, or at least look harder at it.
I've installed Windows 10 on 5 machines so far, including the one with the SSD and have had no issues on any of them. Easy peasy. And 10 is FAR superior to 8.1. No contest.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry