register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 08-16-2016, 07:44 AM   #1
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Computer Reboots & Reboots & Reboots...

So suddenly my desktop computer reboots over and over again. From a cold start it reboots in less than 3 minutes so I don't think that the motherboard is overheating. It stays on for 2 or 3 minutes and then reboots again and again. Could it be the power supply? I built it myself and I can easily replace the power supply but I don't want to just guess and start replacing things that don't need to be.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
loosenut
Now where did that come from?

Might be the drive. If you have a spare, I suggest you try it.

2007 Yamaha FZ1
2005 GasGas EC300 (with plate), 2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
JerseyDiesel

Location: Jersey, Ga a suburb of Loganville outside of Walnut Grove
That is a textbook symptom of a bad power supply. Specifically the 5V section. If you can measure it, it should be 5.2V.
JerseyDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:57 AM   #4
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

You could pick one up from a business that has a good return policy, and test it. Don't even have to remove the board or PSU..

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
Racer Boy
I'm married to a Norwegian!

Sounds like a power supply to me.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #6
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Thanks all. I suspect it's the power supply too. It's a fairly cheap part so I'll see if that works.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Old 08-30-2016, 07:21 PM   #7
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Well, the new power supply didn't do it. I bought a bigger power supply than I really need just to be covered. In the last year or so the integrated video and the integrated network adapter both went dead so I bought cards to replace them. It looks like the motherboard has finally given out as well.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #8
grommet
kinetic mentality

If your computer is older than 3 years, it's on borrowed time.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:39 AM   #9
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
Yep. It's at least that old. I ordered a new motherboard last night.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:43 PM   #10
russperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
So suddenly my desktop computer reboots over and over again. From a cold start it reboots in less than 3 minutes so I don't think that the motherboard is overheating. It stays on for 2 or 3 minutes and then reboots again and again. Could it be the power supply? I built it myself and I can easily replace the power supply but I don't want to just guess and start replacing things that don't need to be.
I've run into cases where in the case of an unexpected shutdown, the startup will interupt and start over again and again. Not sure if its power supply or motherboard related, but in my case if I turn off the power switch for the power supply on the back panel while its rebooting (before it shuts off again), I can then turn the switch back on and follow it with a normal startup and it works fine.

I'd be interested to hear the post-mortem once identified....
Old 08-31-2016, 01:58 PM   #11
smittynsc
Thinking about it

Every one I have fixed that did that it was a software issue. System starts to load and it reboots. Have to get it to start in safe mode or replace system files.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:44 PM   #12
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittynsc View Post
Every one I have fixed that did that it was a software issue. System starts to load and it reboots. Have to get it to start in safe mode or replace system files.
I have a SSD drive and it boots and loads the system very fast. I don't THINK that it's a software issue but it could be.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #13
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russperry View Post
I've run into cases where in the case of an unexpected shutdown, the startup will interupt and start over again and again. Not sure if its power supply or motherboard related, but in my case if I turn off the power switch for the power supply on the back panel while its rebooting (before it shuts off again), I can then turn the switch back on and follow it with a normal startup and it works fine.

I'd be interested to hear the post-mortem once identified....
I replaced the power supply with 200W more than the last one, so that's not it.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #14
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittynsc View Post
It turns out that you were right. I replaced the power supply, then I bought a new motherboard. Then I bought a new case because the new MB wouldn't fit in the old one. Then I bought a new processor because I bent several pins in the old one when I tried to reuse it.

Still had the same issue so I reinstalled Windows 10 and it now works. I would never have suspected that Windows was to blame. I now have a faster computer and I can use more hard drives with the new MB so it's not all bad.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #15
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Windows is almost always to blame

Glad you got it sorted.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #16
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
I am still using that probably 9 year old Toshiba laptop you sent me, modded out with a $12 recycled 2.4 Core Duo, a spare SSD, Win10 and a $10 replacement battery. The time borrowed figure on this machine borders on the national debt, but it continues to run flawlessly. It is parked alongside my work laptop on my desk for FZ1 and other screwing off activities. Oh, and there was this floppy hinge fix episode involving screws through the case and chassis to reinforce the weak screen hinges, with custom bumper thingies to keep the exposed bolt heads from scratching my desk.

For some sick reason, I enjoy prolonging the life of junk hardware. Borrowed time indeed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (89.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (82.9 KB, 33 views)

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry