register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 09-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #21
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faa Q View Post
I get tired of hearing things like that...not trying to be an Apple fanboi here but yeah, features from multiple Android phones...not a single android phone has all of those features. Plus, when you are looking at android phones, there are a number of manufacturers on different development cycles who don't necessarily care if the hardware meshes with the generic android OS - quite the opposite, most have customizations in the software to make it fit their hardware. So yeah, android generally comes out with functionality earlier but it's coming from multiple companies on variable timelines vs a single company that has a pretty consistent product update/release cycle.
I never said one phone, but it's all things that have been going on for a long time. It's annoying when Apple waits 5 years to adopt the technology, then touts it as groundbreaking. However, I tend to loathe anything Apple, so it's common practice for me to pick it all apart.
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #22
WDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faa Q View Post
For those who want and iPhone X and a home button
Yeah, and then you have to plug in another adapter to get 3.5 mm audio port, and then another adaptor to get another lightning port, and...........
Old 09-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #23
WDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Like I said. I think we are at "peak cell phone" now. What's the next BIG thing for a cell phone?
Well now that you ask, Mr. Anderson.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matrix.jpg (12.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg MATRIX 2.jpg (50.3 KB, 70 views)
Old 09-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #24
jredford
Musical Metal

Hubris kills all great companies. Apple will not be an exception....

...it may be the poster child.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:15 PM   #25
Drew
Mighty Tonka!

Meh. $1k is way too rich for me. Never been into the phone as a lifestyle accessory, its a tool. We get a company phone every 2 years and before Blackberry bit the dust, it still was the preferred corporate phone for many Wall Street financial district companies.

Last go around I got a Blackberry Z10 phone upgrade from a BB9360. IMHO, the Z10 was the best operating system for heavy email and business use. It was a all around great phone, but lacked the app support that is so important for some and VZW never really tried to promote it.

Currently have a iphone 7, and it's a nice phone/operating system, but still liked the Z10 better. Not at all crazy about the cartoony Android phones. But in this app-crazy world, I guess getting the latest Candy Crush update is most important.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #26
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredford View Post
Hubris kills all great companies. Apple will not be an exception....

...it may be the poster child.
Hubris kills "all great companies".

Curious if you have some examples.

Is Apple a great company? Stockholders probably think so.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #27
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Fun fact: per Forbes of the original twelve companies in the first Dow Jones Industrial Average of 1896 only one is completely gone.

Wonder if it was run by Dick Hubris.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #28
jredford
Musical Metal

Quote:
Hubris kills "all great companies".

Curious if you have some examples.

Is Apple a great company? Stockholders probably think so.

Sears. Wang. CompaQ. Lehman Brothers. Enron.

Apple is a great company...my point is that when great companies are full of hubris it is generally bad long term.

Apple itself is a great example - the period between Job's two reigns was nearly fatal. Never forget John Scully and the Newton.

I should have said Hubris kills many great companies, not all.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike

Last edited by jredford; 09-15-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #29
jredford
Musical Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
Fun fact: per Forbes of the original twelve companies in the first Dow Jones Industrial Average of 1896 only one is completely gone.

Wonder if it was run by Dick Hubris.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
Old 09-16-2017, 02:39 AM   #30
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Memes for the win. And a link to something that I laughed at way too hard. https://9gag.com/gag/a248EOO?ref=ios.s.cp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_877.jpg (84.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_876.jpg (80.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_878.jpg (94.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 09-16-2017, 03:41 AM   #31
2wheelmax

I think the price is relative since most people will lease or buy them on a payment plan. I was going to get a new S7, but my S5 keeps chugging along. I used to baby my phones, but have a nice case for it and drop it occasionally, but it still performs solidly. I did buy a new extended battery for $8 which is much better than the $30/mo. a new S8 would cost.
2wheelmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:37 AM   #32
didier9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
Yeah, and then you have to plug in another adapter to get 3.5 mm audio port, and then another adaptor to get another lightning port, and...........
I particularly like that the $999 phone that is advertised as having fast charging does not come with a fast charger. After you pay $999 for the phone (plus taxes, connection fees and whatnot), you still have to fork (I guess) $40 or $50 for the freaking charger and (of course) a new "fast charging" cable because they could not make these accessories part of the package.

My 2015 Moto-X will charge to 75% in 30 minutes with the stock charger, which also happens to have two USB ports so you can charge two devices from the same charger at the same time. Wow, innovations! Maybe the iPhone 15 will have that as an option...
Old 09-16-2017, 06:03 AM   #33
didier9

My wife has a 6+. A good phone and she has no intention of upgrading unless the phone craps out. Anyhow, we bought the phone shortly after it came out. It was a Christmas present. We also bought the most expensive screen protector Verizon had in store at the time, another $40 or so. A couple of weeks later, we were at the restaurant with friends. A bottle of Tabasco got tipped and fell on the phone. A 6" bottle, it hardly made any noise. The screen (and screen protector) both cracked. The digitizer was cracked also and messed up so the phone was totally unusable (aside from Siri).
The phone being new, the local repair shops had no parts so I went to the Apple web site and sent a $375 payment to have the screen replaced. The process went smoothly and 4 days later the phone was back from the east coast repair center, with a copy of the invoice the repair center sent to Apple. Apple paid $150 to have the screen replaced and made $225 in profit.

Aside from myself and my son in law, everybody in my family has iPhones. They all have expensive and ugly cases on their phones. I do have an iPad mini which I got as a present from my employer for 30 years of service. A nice piece of hardware with a beautiful display and lousy speakers. I fail to see the attraction Apple seems to exert on people. I guess I am just insensitive to the inner beauty of the thing.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:04 AM   #34
didier9

Duplicate, cannot delete
Old 09-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #35
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Quote:
particularly like that the $999 phone that is advertised as having fast charging does not come with a fast charger.
What is this fast charger you are referring to? I watch the whole show and I don't recall hearing about one. Do you mean the 5 W charger adapter? That's standard with all iPhones. And that charges The phone very quickly.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #36
Rabeet
Boys of Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredford View Post
Sears. Wang. CompaQ. Lehman Brothers. Enron.

Apple is a great company...my point is that when great companies are full of hubris it is generally bad long term.

Apple itself is a great example - the period between Job's two reigns was nearly fatal. Never forget John Scully and the Newton.

I should have said Hubris kills many great companies, not all.
I have spent a major part of my adult life watching people figure out Apple and predict its future and so on.

Meanwhile I had the best possible career I could have ever hoped for because they were all wrong. And there's no reason to think anything has changed.

Also, the Newton was cool. Way ahead of its time but had some cool tech in it and so on. I should know, I was there.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule? - Anton Chigurh

If it ain't it'll do til the mess gets here. - Ed Tom Bell

He wants to know the names of all those he's better than - Little Hitlers Elvis Costello
Rabeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #37
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Memes for the win. And a link to something that I laughed at way too hard. https://9gag.com/gag/a248EOO?ref=ios.s.cp
Didn't the Android fans say they had all that stuff before apple?

What am I missing? No memes for android finger print readers or face unlock?

Why not?
Old 09-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #38
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Buddy of my mine had a Newton. I remember he brought it to the race track one day.
I had only heard of them. It was amazing, but way before it's time. And while amazing, it couldn't really do much.

Without a network it was basically a really small computer with limited ability. None of us at the time has any idea that mobile computing would become what it is today.

Regarding"hubris".

Sears. I dunno. Are they still around? I think They failed to keep up with the times. Endless number of companies didn't see the changes coming. But is that hubris? Maybe. Maybe just old school types who can't imagine buggy whips won't be a thing next year.

Wang? Didn't they get bought?

Enron?? That was flat out fraud.

Lehman? I can't recall what happens to them.

I do think apple is at a crossroads. Peak phone. Peak laptop.
Need to innovate again.

For the Apple haters, what companies are truly innovating these days in consumer electronics?

Is anyone? I sure as shit don't think Apple is.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:02 PM   #39
didier9

Quote:
What is this fast charger you are referring to? I watch the whole show and I don't recall hearing about one. Do you mean the 5 W charger adapter? That's standard with all iPhones. And that charges The phone very quickly.
This

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...ry-life-specs/
Old 09-16-2017, 11:34 PM   #40
didier9

Quote:
Didn't the Android fans say they had all that stuff before apple?

What am I missing? No memes for android finger print readers or face unlock?

Why not?
I think it's a reaction to the hyperboles used when Apple introduces a new feature. Listening to the ads, it's like it was never done before and it's done in such a masterful way that you just have to send your check immediately to get it.

The android vendors are not so hyperbolic and tend to throw new technology out there and let people decide if they like it by offering a wide range of phones so people do not have to have a particular, new feature if they don't want it and still get another upgraded phone model with other features they like better.

Apple makes lack of choice and high price a feature. Those who do not buy into it tend to make fun of those who do. I must admit I have indulged a few times myself.

Funny that we had a thread not long ago about the fingerprint reader and the fact that many people like it and now it's gone from the iPhone 10.

What people will find out once the tear downs start appearing is that the iPhone 10 does have the underscreen fingerprint reader but its disabled because it does not work. I am willing to bet a $ on that There is no way Apple actually planned to remove the fingerprint reader. It is a popular feature and face unlock has the same disadvantage (biometric based) without the speed and convenience. If they planned it that way, it was a dumb move.
If it's a software issue, they may enable it later when it's fixed as an upgrade. If it's a hardware problem, they will have to wait until there is a new phone.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry