register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 10-13-2017, 05:33 AM   #1
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Considering making the switch

Despite my proclamation that I'll be buying the iPhone X, I'm actually seriously considering getting an Android phone instead. \Mmaybe the Pixel 2 XL, just to change things up. The new Samsung's are nice but I like the fact that the Google phones are an unmodified OS where Samsung et al use customized flavors of the OS.
In my mind, only a handful of downsides...
- I'll have to re-buy some apps
- won't work with my Apple watch as well
- Most of my friends/family have iPhones so I lose some functionality with them with iMessage, find my friends (I use this a lot with my wife to see if she's left work yet or not because she works late a lot), etc.
- I like that I can back up my phone to iTunes and if something happens I can restore it like nothing happened
- I have an Apple store close by that I can go to if I have issues.
- I have an iPad, Apple TV, MacBook Pro but that doesn't really impact the phone I use other than data synching across the devices. I also have a Surface Pro and a PC so I'm not 100% Apple.

Maybe there are alternatives/solutions/mitigations to the above downsides and if I'm ever going to switch, I have to start sometime to extricate myself from their ecosystem.

I'm not unhappy with my 7+ at all, I just like to change things up sometimes.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Humble yourself, or life will do it for you.
Faa Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:37 AM   #2
okrider

I got my Nexus 6P from Google themselves and their customer service is amazing. I got a scratch on it in the first week, from very minor use (so yes, Huawei doesn't make the best quality phones). I was able to get a replacement right away using their chat feature.

I would go ahead and give it a try. It's not as different from an iPhone as you might think.
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:42 AM   #3
fermic37

Give it a try, i know most places will let you trade it back in withing a few days if not happy with it. I know this because several of my friends tried to do what youre doing and went back to apple.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:10 AM   #4
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

I used an android phone for about 3 weeks when I drowned my iPhone a month before the new ones were to be released and I wasn't crazy about it though it was essentially a burner so it was an older model with a crappy camera (comparatively), and was a little slow.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Old 10-13-2017, 06:31 AM   #5
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faa Q View Post
with a crappy camera (comparatively), and was a little slow.
Yep, that's a android for you!
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:39 AM   #6
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Your a man living on the edge, willing switching phone OS's like that!

I had an iPhone6 (provided by work) and now an unlocked LG G5 i picked up new on Amazon for $249 that I upgraded to Nougat right out of the box. I do not demand a lot from my phone - make calls, listen to iHeart radio, navigate in my car via Waze, run OBD Fusion (via a Bluetooth reader plugged into the OBD port) to monitor geeky things with my car, read email, access my work site, hotspot the phone and run my laptop off it while on the road, take clear pictures of cool hawks in trees here in CO. It was an adjustment at first, but now I don't "notice" my phone, it just does what I ask of it. Hmm. So on 2nd thought I do use my phone for some stuff, and it works fine.

The latest version of Android is much improved. Not as slick as iOS perhaps, but it has geeky settings to tinker with and is more enjoyable that way for me, plus, hallelujah, no iTunes. I just drop my mix of legal and no so legal music with it's jacked up tagging info (on an installed microSD card) slap it into the phone with Windows Explorer. Bam. Done. Sweet! A key piece of my electronic satisfaction puzzle is my new GMC Canyon pickup, which has Carplay/Android Auto, and integrates beautifully with any phone. It is like having my own personal HAL 9000 as I drive around and talk to text, talk hands free on the phone, tell it where I wanna go and what song I wanna hear, with the info projected by the phone onto the truck's colorful 8" touchscreen

I can drop a grand on motorcycle mods in a heartbeat, but never understood the compulsion to drop a grand on a phone. So much dough for such diminishing returns. To me, that is like having the nicest microwave oven or fanciest LED encrusted wireless connected refrigerator on the block. Phones are an appliance, as long as they work and do what I want, they are good enough. I am a rebel I tell ya...

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M

Last edited by Duken4evr; 10-13-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:02 AM   #7
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
plus, hallelujah, no iTunes.
iTunes is optional.

The best, so I heard, was YouTube-MP3, but it got shut down. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...shut-sued.html

You could just copy and paste in the url of the YouTube video, and it would convert the audio from the video into MP3 format, which can be uploaded into iTunes on your computer and then synced to your phone. Easy peasy.

Not that I've ever done that, that would be wrong, and illegal.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:12 AM   #8
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
iTunes is optional.

The best, so I heard, was YouTube-MP3, but it got shut down. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...shut-sued.html

You could just copy and paste in the url of the YouTube video, and it would convert the audio from the video into MP3 format, which can be uploaded into iTunes on your computer and then synced to your phone. Easy peasy.

Not that I've ever done that, that would be wrong, and illegal.
Those YouTube to MP3 sites a pretty risky for malware and such. If you really want to rape YouTube music, buy a desktop program, plus you can copy your rental movies

https://www.mediadimo.com/video-converter-ultimate

I was such a Napster whore, back in the day. No wonder a lot of my music is alt rock from the 90s. That is OK, the 90s were a good decade for music

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Old 10-13-2017, 07:12 AM   #9
fermic37

i miss lime wire
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:16 AM   #10
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
I can drop a grand on motorcycle mods in a heartbeat, but never understood the compulsion to drop a grand on a phone. So much dough for such diminishing returns. To me, that is like having the nicest microwave oven or fanciest LED encrusted wireless connected refrigerator on the block. Phones are an appliance, as long as they work and do what I want, they are good enough. I am a rebel I tell ya...
My reason for having the pricier new phones is the quality of the cameras because I do a lot of photography stuff. Otherwise, I agree...they are mostly equal in other respects.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Old 10-13-2017, 07:25 AM   #11
Duken4evr
Map Maven

While I am sure the new iPhone camera will be top notch, I was quite surprised how good the camera is on my cheap G5. It took this pic of my lovely wife and silly little dog in very low light. The phone has a surprisingly strong flash with redeye reduction. Have gotten some really nice outdoor shots too, it works great during the bright daylight hours. The non cutting edge phone cameras are not the junk they used to be.

Say hi to Mrs. Duke and Teddy boy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sue & Teddy.jpg (79.3 KB, 122 views)

Old 10-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #12
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

So far, there isn't much compelling me to switch, in general the hardware isn't much different and they all do the same things on the software side, albeit a little differently. Android is more open with their OS which allows for much more customization but hand in hand with that it can be less secure and phone makers generally quit giving legacy devices updates (even for security holes) after a few short years. Outside of the Google made devices, OS updates are slow to come out, if at all. This is the reason the Pixel 2 appeals to me because I know I'll get timely OS updates and no brand specific software/bloatware (as comes with LG, Samsung, etc phone) that I'll probably need to root the phone to ditch.
What I find kind of funny is the Pixel 2 is supposed to be one of the best Android phones to come out. Android users always made fun of Apple for being late with hardware changes or lack of flexibility with the hardware.
Pixel 2 - no expandable storage, no user replaceable battery, no wireless charging, and no headphone jack (the very thing Google poked fun at Apple for not having).

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Old 10-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #13
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faa Q View Post
So far, there isn't much compelling me to switch, in general the hardware isn't much different and they all do the same things on the software side, albeit a little differently. Android is more open with their OS which allows for much more customization but hand in hand with that it can be less secure and phone makers generally quit giving legacy devices updates (even for security holes) after a few short years. Outside of the Google made devices, OS updates are slow to come out, if at all. This is the reason the Pixel 2 appeals to me because I know I'll get timely OS updates and no brand specific software/bloatware (as comes with LG, Samsung, etc phone) that I'll probably need to root the phone to ditch.
What I find kind of funny is the Pixel 2 is supposed to be one of the best Android phones to come out. Android users always made fun of Apple for being late with hardware changes or lack of flexibility with the hardware.
Pixel 2 - no expandable storage, no user replaceable battery, no wireless charging, and no headphone jack (the very thing Google poked fun at Apple for not having).
That's a deal breaker for me. I went with Android after having a couple of iPhones and I'm still glad that I did. Having to use that POS iTunes instead of MS Explorer with the iPhone is a deal breaker too.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #14
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Quote:
Having to use that POS iTune
What on earth are you using iTunes for? I haven't opened that garbage program for years.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #15
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
What on earth are you using iTunes for? I haven't opened that garbage program for years.

I have 2 160Gb iPod Classics. I only use it to download a couple of podcasts and transfer them (or music) to the iPods.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Old 10-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #16
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Ah, iPod classics. Wow.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #17
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Ah, iPod classics. Wow.

I continue to use them because I have a remote control that attaches to the handlebars and I can adjust the volume, pause or fast forward while riding and listening to music. And they store LOTS of music.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #18
grommet
kinetic mentality

Does anyone know how to use an iPhone with Windows explorer like a USB drive, like the android phones do? I like the iPhone otherwise (don't care too much about most of it) but that is what causes me the most headache with it.

I searched and found some stuff about using iTunes as a file explorer but I couldn't get it to work. Probably I have the wrong iTunes version or something. For how easy they keep saying it is, it's a pain.

Desmo, what music player do you use?

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #19
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Quote:
Desmo, what music player do you use?
Mmm...I don't listen to hardly any music. Im a podcast junky.

I just looked now, and I only have 2 albums on my iPhone in the "Music" app.

Quote:
Does anyone know how to use an iPhone with Windows explorer like a USB drive
Been ages since I plugged my phone into a PC. I recall being able to drag photos off the phone onto the PC.
But I don't know what other options there are. I didn't think it was set up like a traditional "file system". I dunno.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #20
grommet
kinetic mentality

Yeah I can see it to copy from the phone to the PC with Windows Explorer but putting files on it doesn't work.

Life without music . . . wow, how does your head not explode every now and then.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry