register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues

Old 08-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #1
alf

resurecting '04 FZ1 project

Hi,

I have '04 FZ1 which I stopped riding a few years ago. Before that I rode it very hard from the edge to the edge of tire, dragging knees and scraping footpegs. hard. The bike has now 70k (s)miles on it. It was seating in the garage for a while except a short ride every few months to keep gas fresh in the tank. And when doing that I started running into issue after an issue. This is what happened issue by issue:

- sometime in 2013 the engine started overheating and I was loosing coolant. It turned out that the hose to the overflow tank was leaking. I replaced it and the bike seemed good for a while

-about 2 year ago, I noticed that the bike overheats again, this time puking the coolant thru overflow tank apparently. It came off the hoses underneath the bike. It was during the riders safety training doing cones and parking lot practice with a lot of acceleration, braking and slow speed maneuvering (in hot Arizona). I lost like 1-2 quarts of the coolant, topped it off and made home

- also I noticed that the radiator fan does not start. I replaced the thermostat sensor but it did not help. Also, the dashboard display started flashing, presumably at the same time the the electonics wanted to turn on radiator fan. Overheating in hot Arizona weather continued and subsequent coolant leak/boiling in slow riding

- in an effort to troubleshoot, I determined that the radiator fan relay got burned. I got it replaced. The fan itself seem to he fine and there is no short in it (at least passes a simple multimeter test). After I replaced it and one test ride the display flashing kinda stopped and I totally though it got fixes but ...

- further tests proved it to be wrong. I tried to simulate the high coolant temp and force radiator fan to kick in by shorting the thermostat sensor and all display flashing came back to life

- yesterday I took it for a longer ride and after warming up the bike I noticed that it dies at idle. I do not think it is related to dirty carbs because it dies right after RPM drops below 2k RPM. At the same time old "good" display flashing accompanies this sensation. In fact, to goes blank right after it dies.

- I am on a relatively new well maintained and charged up YUSA battery

- I checked white connector under the tank and there is no sigh of bad prongs/terminals.

So having said all that, I am asking for the advise how to troubleshoot this!

Thanks in advance,
Andy
alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
Wayne-O
Traffic!!! Ya gotta love it.

Im sure some one will come along with good info soon. In the mean time let me chime in that after getting all my hoses clamped on well I now have the overflow tank leak you had early on. The bottom is not visible to me. Any tips for checking ?
Old 08-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #3
alf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne-O View Post
Im sure some one will come along with good info soon. In the mean time let me chime in that after getting all my hoses clamped on well I now have the overflow tank leak you had early on. The bottom is not visible to me. Any tips for checking ?
my initial leak was caused by cracked (from heat in AZ I suppose)
https://www.partzilla.com/product/ya...6056527d93d711

After I replaced the overheating was gone, but I am somewhat suspectful that something else got damaged as well causing later problems.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:38 PM   #4
firefly
2004 FZ1

How is the water pump? is fan turning when it should? thermostat?
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #5
alf

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly View Post
How is the water pump? is fan turning when it should? thermostat?
Water pump works and thermostat too.
It gotta be an electrical issue. When I simulate radiator temp sensor (after disconnecting cable) by shortening, the entire display flashes.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:52 PM   #6
alf

So I decided to take the bike to a processional mechanic, ex AMA Pro racer by the way.

He quickly diagnosed it with a leaking head gasket. Thinks like never ending bubbles in the radiator and engine rapidly heating up.

So I need to take the motor out now ...
Old 08-16-2018, 05:36 AM   #7
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

These engines can takes lots of hard riding type abuse, but aluminum engines/heads in general do not tolerate much in the way of overheating. Sorry to hear about that, but if that is the only issue it shouldn't be very difficult to remedy and get you back in good shape. Onwards and upwards.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #8
alf

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
These engines can takes lots of hard riding type abuse, but aluminum engines/heads in general do not tolerate much in the way of overheating. Sorry to hear about that, but if that is the only issue it shouldn't be very difficult to remedy and get you back in good shape. Onwards and upwards.

Thx. I hope she will get alive soon. I wonder if dropping an engine is easy thing to do?
Old 09-04-2018, 08:06 AM   #9
iluvmyfz1

Never had the engine out of the FZ, but if you search there's documentation on the forum covering it pretty good. If just to replace the head gasket, I don't think you need to remove the engine though.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
Old 09-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #10
grommet
kinetic mentality

Yes you do. The head will not come off with the engine in the frame. The head studs are way too long.

Some have said the easiest way is to support the engine and take the bike off it. If wheels and all are still on that might be harder. I've used a floor jack and a helper to do it. Plan on 5-8 hours to remove, 6 or so to re-install.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #11
iluvmyfz1

Thanks for the correction grommet, I wasn't really sure.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:01 AM   #12
HRHTFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
The head will not come off with the engine in the frame.
This is incorrect. A search will provide the details.
HRHTFML is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues