register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 05-31-2004, 06:23 AM   #81
70super
Looking for Tardfest

I know I'm late --

W/o using LILO I can certainly see how this would work.

Dipps - did you do anything? If you want I can burn a copy of a Red Hat 7.1 distribution and bring it to the gap.
70super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 09:16 AM   #82
dipps
administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by 70super
Dipps - did you do anything? If you want I can burn a copy of a Red Hat 7.1 distribution and bring it to the gap.
not recently. been working on a dedication video for my dad. tried downloading mandrake a couple times, but everywhere i tried to get it, it was way to cumbersome to download, so gave up on it for the time being. wasn't a totally pressing matter.... just a curiousity at the moment. it hasn't fallen off the slate, but definitely a backburner item at the moment. gotta get ready for my trip.
Into the hands of every individual is given a marvelous power for good or evil -- the silent, unconscious, unseen influence of his life. This is simply the constant radiation of what man really is, not what he pretends to be.
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus
dipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 01:02 PM   #83
dipps
administrator

just stumbled across this one today.

http://www.spychecker.com/program/spywareguard.html
Into the hands of every individual is given a marvelous power for good or evil -- the silent, unconscious, unseen influence of his life. This is simply the constant radiation of what man really is, not what he pretends to be.
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus
Old 06-04-2004, 11:00 AM   #84
dipps
administrator

can't remember if this handy online image tweaking program was posted earlier in this thread or not....

http://www.gifworks.com/
Old 06-04-2004, 12:33 PM   #85
dipps
administrator

another handy, free image editing program (one of the best ).....

http://www.irfanview.com/
Old 06-05-2004, 06:50 AM   #86
train460
Houston VMOA Member

video capture

Hello friends
anyone know of a videoa capture program. Just got a sony digital video camera and want to get a few vids on the pc, , maybe edit a little?
thanks
Michael
88 v-max
85 v-max
train460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 09:14 AM   #87
dipps
administrator

Re: video capture

Quote:
Originally posted by train460
Hello friends
anyone know of a videoa capture program. Just got a sony digital video camera and want to get a few vids on the pc, , maybe edit a little?
thanks
Michael
you could try windows movie maker 2.0.... it's free.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...er/default.asp

i haven't tried it yet, but i believe it is capable of doing what you require.

i also have roxio easy DVD creator, which i think will enable me to make videos. if desmo or greg gorman stop by, they have some pretty nifty software that they use to make videos on their pc.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:02 PM   #88
dipps
administrator

here's another handy spyware control program, recommended by our own desmo....

http://www.winpatrol.com/
Old 06-15-2004, 11:51 AM   #89
dipps
administrator

did anybody else notice the new face on your yahoo email account??

also, my yahoo email account has been upgraded to 100MB storage capacity!! and the max file size that i can send via yahoo is 10MB.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:58 AM   #90
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Quote:
Originally posted by fz1dipps
did anybody else notice the new face on your yahoo email account??

also, my yahoo email account has been upgraded to 100MB storage capacity!! and the max file size that i can send via yahoo is 10MB.

That's nuthin. My account has been upgraded to 2 GIG.
I just looked, I have 5700 messages in my inbox there. ALL OF IT IS SPAM.
Attached Images
File Type: gif email.gif (688 Bytes, 382 views)
Old 06-15-2004, 12:05 PM   #91
dipps
administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Desmo
That's nuthin. My account has been upgraded to 2 GIG.
I just looked, I have 5700 messages in my inbox there. ALL OF IT IS SPAM.
holy christmas!! what email service is that???

i'll stick with yahoo (in addition to my ISP account), but dang, that's a lot of email storage.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:29 PM   #92
Desmo
Mein Führer!

holy christmas!! what email service is that???

Yahoo

I just discovered that I can access Yahoo via pop3 now, for free.
Must be part of the upgrade I got, which I never asked for.
Seems they upgraded Yahoo SBC customers.

I'm currently downloading all 5700 headers.........then I'll delete them. Yahoo gives you no way to quickly delete all messages
online.

It's a freakin' spam trap. I'm gonna forward email from it to my other domain that has SpamAssassin.

It's GREAT!
Old 06-17-2004, 03:32 PM   #93
FZ1Geek
Let's Ride!

Wow, I usually just stick to the bike-related forums, so I hadn't seen this thread. Great idea Dipps!

I use YahooPops to download my Yahoo mail into Outlook express. I will check later to see if I can access it via pop3 now. Des, did you just put mail.yahoo.com in as the Pop server?

I use Burn4free to burn CDs in Windows.

WinHTTrack is a great tool for capturing web sites and making them available offline, look at the bottom of the page for the link to the Windows version.

For spyware and adware, cwshredder is great. The same guy also wrote HijackThis. With Hijack this, it evaluates your sytem and gives you a list of potential problems. You save the list to a file and post the results on the SpywareInfo forums. Somebody there will go through it and post step by step instructions to help you get rid of your problem.

The Mandrake Linux distribution has a partition resizing tool that will help you make space for the dual boot. I used to dual-boot Mandrake 9.2 and XP, but I picked up a used PIII 800 to be a dedicated Mandrake box. You still unable to download that Dipps?

Somebody mentioned OpenOffice.org in an earlier post, that is an especially good suite if you use Solaris, Linux, and Windows, since it is available for all three and opens most of the MS Office files I receive.

Is anyone aware of a good freeware download accelerator for Windows?

-Geek
FZ1Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 12:29 PM   #94
Brock79

'edit' doh, he beat me to it

I don't have a link, but search for "hijack this" on download.com
this is a sweet program that scans your registry for items that auto load. It's a good way to find imbedded stuff like browser hackers.
Brock79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:09 PM   #95
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Geek, I use - pop.mail.yahoo.com
Old 06-22-2004, 12:03 AM   #96
Stabak
Cheetah style...

Thumbs up

Suse 9.0...
(another great distribution of linux)
www.suse.de

3 great window managers to choose from and lots of software : openoffice, 2-3 browsers, gimp, organizers, multimedia etc blah blah, Samba, Mysql, apache2, squid proxy, firewalls, pop servers, smtp's, ftp's ...blah blah

All free.... under GPL.

I would recommend find a 2nd drive, buy the distribution (preferably the professional one), install with lilo or grub
and enjoy..... I promise you 'll learn things on computers and how they are done on the net that you will be suprised.

Capabilities are endless. Even a personal forum with phpBB, mysql, apache and some tweakin...

You can always see the contents of your window$ drives... even load windows on your linux box with "VM"..... or run some windows applications in linux with "wine"...

I can't understand why people with some free time to experiment don't try different sollutions to their needs specificaly when they are free ....
Specialy when nowdays the installation of linux distr. are effortless.....

All you have to determine is if your hardware is supported like some scanners and stuff.

Knowledge is power guys and gals
Old 06-22-2004, 03:02 AM   #97
70super
Looking for Tardfest

Quote:
Originally posted by Stabak
even load windows on your linux box with "VM"..... or run some windows applications in linux with "wine"...
Isn't VM a big money software package?
70super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 11:19 AM   #98
Stabak
Cheetah style...

yeap it is, depends on the client# but when I tested a trial about 3-4 years ago worked well. I was booting win98 and was working with office on a PII 200 ! with 128Mb ram

needs lots of mem too...
Old 07-21-2004, 01:41 PM   #99
dipps
administrator

bumpity bumpity bump ;)
Old 07-23-2004, 07:54 AM   #100
dipps
administrator

ok, you -o's ( )....... i'll get this going again by myself.

how about some free remote control software. i used to use this software all the time until i got "radmin" (remote administrator). but this winvnc software worked pretty darn good (especially for free). allows you to access your home pc (if left on) remotely from another computer.

http://www.realvnc.com/winvnc.html

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry