register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 09-14-2005, 10:09 PM   #21
Fuzzy Jim
Not so new and unimproved

Thank you very much!!

I'll tear into that one tomorrow after work, as it's beddy bye time now!!

Jim
Fuzzy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #22
dipps
administrator

just added these links to the first post......

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
http://safety.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
http://www.windowsonecare.com/
Into the hands of every individual is given a marvelous power for good or evil -- the silent, unconscious, unseen influence of his life. This is simply the constant radiation of what man really is, not what he pretends to be.
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus
dipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:53 PM   #23
Twstgrp

awesome. thanks. wish I had seen this last month. Had to do a reinstall from scratch, lost a lot of links, files, etc.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #24
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Here's a few good links regarding antivirus...
http://arstechnica.com/journals/micr...erformance-hit
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Humble yourself, or life will do it for you.
Faa Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:18 AM   #25
stoggy

You could just use Linux. Yea I know its too tough for a bunch of grease monkeys.
stoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #26
dipps
administrator

i've used linux. nothing tough about it, imo.
Into the hands of every individual is given a marvelous power for good or evil -- the silent, unconscious, unseen influence of his life. This is simply the constant radiation of what man really is, not what he pretends to be.
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus
dipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #27
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

I've used and installed Linux several times. I don't understand the draw. Yeah, it's leaner and faster in some cases but I can't run most the of the apps and games I use regularly. If you are doing email, internet and the like (perfect for a netbook!) it's fine but I need more than that.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Humble yourself, or life will do it for you.
Faa Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:50 AM   #28
TheRepairMan
2006 to 2017 & SOLD!

Should anyone actually read this you might want to just skip it. A couple of days later I ended up just doing a clean install of the OS to correct all the issues I thought I had fixed below.

An IT friend of mine hooked me up with this. It's called ComboFix. I didn't see it mentioned in this thread so I felt obligated to share it. It's a free download from bleepingcomputer.com.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/

I had tried EVERYTHING. Hours and hours spent diagnosing to try to catch the virus or malware that was killing my PC. It had almost come to a screeching halt. At times it would freeze up, sometimes fail to boot up, and then would not shut down. It wouldn't let me move files, create a restore point, or even run a virus scan in some folders. I had lost control. I was ready to replace all the hard drives and reload everything. What a royal pain in the azz.

I tried this removal tool and in about 20 minutes while closely following the on screen prompts and instructions it let me restore my OS and program files back to normal speed and function once again. Saved me big money and even more time. It's a great tool!

As with any software there can be issues. I didn't experience any, but the Fix does make sure to create a restore point for you should something not work right later. BTW, I'm still using XP Pro and I don't know if this would work with Vista or not. Use with care, and as always, back up your data before you start any PC repair.

Update: Looked good, but a virus had done some registry damage that kept my OS from recognizing my removable disc drives (DVD, CD). I found a quick Windows patch that actually fixed that. During that search MS informed me that I was missing the SP 3 update. Since they fixed my disc drives so easily I thought, "why not" SP3 only takes about 4 hours to load.

Well I did it and now I have several other minor issues. I think Windows Updates sucks again, but I'll be back to let you know what it takes to fix it once again.

Okay, downloaded the other 29 updates MS said I needed to make SP3 work correctly. Just ran a benchmark test on the system and she did very well... once again, thank goodness.

Oh, by the way, your antivirus software WILL see the ComboFix as a virus or malicious file, because it does intrude on your OS to check for registry and corrupt file problems. Running it is just like running to antivirus programs at the same time, they are conflicting, so you MUST back off the antivirus protection before you run the CF.

Roger

Dielectric grease information, IMPORTANT! http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...3&postcount=42

Ignition coil information, FYI. http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...0&postcount=26

Last edited by TheRepairMan; 03-15-2009 at 06:49 AM.
TheRepairMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #29
BLAQHAWK
Keep the rubber side down!!!

As a Former Domain Admin, Network Admin, and System Admin, I once read on a M$ (Microsoft) website that Windows should be reinstalled anually. I have searched for it on the new M$ site (I only looked for about 5 minutes) but I believe they removed that reference since they changed up their site and went to Silverlight. At any rate, with proper maintenance, a Windows box can run for years. I have seen Windows boxes run for several years with "virtually" no problems, although those boxes were not used for much, just e-mailing and web research. I fel that it is also important to note that those boxes were also maintained well with antivirus and antispyware software. I personally recommend to people to try and fix the problem if Windows has been installed within the past two years, unless the are having problems that they can't fix. However, you decide, I always recommend for them to do the work themselves instead of taking it to a "Geek Squad or Fire Dog" type place. I advise them to do a little research, find out what is involved, print out the instructions (M$ has them here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941 for Windows XP and here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884 for Windows Vista. I always recommend a "Clean Install" which is described on the page. There is so much I could list and talk about here but the walk through on M$'s website (the links above) are plenty through for the average Joe. If you don't understand anything in the instructions listed on the M$ website, you should pay someone. However, if you pay someone to do a "Clean Install", they will want to just throw the disk in and start the reinstall. Insure you talk to them and ensure that they will back up your files onto an external HDD (Hard Drive) and transfer them to the system once it is up and running again. Make sure you don't have any "Secret Photos or Videos" that you don't want them to see because most IT guys will look through your files unless you are sitting there watching them. Another thing I recommend is to partition the HDD during the installation so that there is a C:/ drive and a D:/ drive. The C:/ drive should be partitioned large enough to hold Windows (whichever flavor you choose) as well as all the programs and or games you plan to install and then some extra space. I like the c:/ drive to be about 40 GB. The remainder of the drive will be your D:/ drive. After the system is up and running, you can change the location of your "My Documents" folder to the D:/ drive. You can do this with other files as well but what it allows for is:
When you determine that you need to reinstall windows nest time, it will be easy because most of your stuff will already be on the D:/ drive. Add a few things to a backup folder on the D:/ drive like your Favorites, .PAB (personal address book) files ect. and then you can just install everything over the C:/ drive and not have to worry about losing your data. I hope this wasn't to long and was clear enough to understand but I just hate being in Best Buy to walk around and gaze at the BIG SCREENS I can't afford and overhear someone paying 200 to 600 dollars for some computer work they could have easily done themselves for the cost of a Saturday afternoon. Just remember, this doesn't have to be you. At any rate, good luck!!!

-Adam

|| Hyperpro Steering Damper | ASV C-5 Levers | Rizoma Sport Grips | Suburban Machinery S2 Bars | HEL SS Lines Front & Rear | Motivation Frame Sliders | Proton Flushmounts | EBC HH Pads Front & Rear | Satan 666's HWY Pegs | Ivan's FCE | Ivan's AIS Plates | Akra Shortened 4.5" | SpeedoHealer v4 | PCV | K&N | Airbox Mod | CD's Flies | Custom Dynamics® FE | SuperSprox 48T | RK X-Ring Chain | Custom EXUP plug ||
BLAQHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #30
BLAQHAWK

BTW RepairMan, I am not trying to step on your toes. I would never do that to another board member on purpose, just giving my .

-Adam

|| Hyperpro Steering Damper | ASV C-5 Levers | Rizoma Sport Grips | Suburban Machinery S2 Bars | HEL SS Lines Front & Rear | Motivation Frame Sliders | Proton Flushmounts | EBC HH Pads Front & Rear | Satan 666's HWY Pegs | Ivan's FCE | Ivan's AIS Plates | Akra Shortened 4.5" | SpeedoHealer v4 | PCV | K&N | Airbox Mod | CD's Flies | Custom Dynamics® FE | SuperSprox 48T | RK X-Ring Chain | Custom EXUP plug ||
Old 03-15-2009, 05:57 AM   #31
TheRepairMan
2006 to 2017 & SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAQHAWK View Post
BTW RepairMan, I am not trying to step on your toes. I would never do that to another board member on purpose, just giving my .

-Adam
Not taken that way at all. Any help or suggestions are valued.

Ironically, my previous post was my last time on the net. The next morn my PC crashed completely. There was so much stuff on my "C" partition, and so many missing reg files... along with, I'm sure, the latest and greatest worm or trojan or something, that all my Internet links were broken as were my media drives. Nothing was going anywhere.

I'm guessing each time I backed up my entire "C" drive I was just carrying the bad stuff right along for the ride, and still wasn't doing anything to repair the OS.

I swear though, my PC worked up to the point that ran SP3. Must not be compatible with XP Pro..??? I don't know!

...Or SP3 isn't compatible with the latest viruses. LOL!!!

I initially thought a HD had failed so I swapped them and loaded XP to the larger drive. I probably should have left it like that but I didn't like not having XP with MY desktop and all my files there so I switched HD's again and did a clean install, being sure to check the box that deletes the old OS but leaves my files and settings in tact.

Well, that worked as far as getting the old box up and running smoothly again, but something still wiped out a LOT of my personal documents. Fortunately, I have 99% of them backed up on CD's and DVD's over in the corner somewhere. I noticed lots of you guys here back everything up on your second partition or HD. That's fine. Just be sure to back that up too if it's important data.

But, yeah, doing a clean re-install of the OS is the only way to fly. Mine hadn't been done since 05. I'm back to XP Pro with SP2 and all is fine now.

And, BTW, I wouldn't spend any $$$ on IT help personally. That would be like me hiring someone to work on my cars or bikes. I'd rather spend some time to learn how to do it myself.

People, back up your files! I keep letting time get away from me and will let it go several months but that's not often enough if you have important documents, data, or photos. There's lots of info on how to do it... so just make time to do it!

-Roger-

Dielectric grease information, IMPORTANT! http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...3&postcount=42

Ignition coil information, FYI. http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...0&postcount=26

Last edited by TheRepairMan; 03-15-2009 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #32
BLAQHAWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRepairMan View Post

And, BTW, I wouldn't spend any $$$ on IT help personally. That would be like me hiring someone to work on my cars or bikes. I'd rather spend some time to learn how to do it myself.
-Roger-

Great minds think alike!!! Especially since I am the IT person, LOL. BTW, what antivirus software are you running?

All board members, feel free to drop me a line and I will help out in any way I can.

-Adam

Old 03-15-2009, 07:25 AM   #33
aeronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipps View Post
i've used linux. nothing tough about it, imo.
I dual boot to Ubuntu 99.99% of the time now. And I've always found an application in the Linux community to cover my needs. Usually the problem isn't if there's an app, it's that there's too many sources/versions to choose from. And it's all free. (But I'm not a gamer.)
Old 03-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #34
BLAQHAWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
I dual boot to Ubuntu 99.99% of the time now. And I've always found an application in the Linux community to cover my needs. Usually the problem isn't if there's an app, it's that there's too many sources/versions to choose from. And it's all free. (But I'm not a gamer.)

Linux is a great OS, however, some apps will not run on Linux even through an emulating software like wine. For instance, I run a flight simulator program for my R/C helis and airplanes called Real Flight and it only runs on windows. I am a supporter of open source software though.

-Adam

Old 04-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #35
TheRepairMan
2006 to 2017 & SOLD!

Here's another way to clean your computer on the inside.

http://www.raincitystory.com/flash/screenclean.swf

Old 04-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #36
BLAQHAWK

Nice. Good effective way to clean the screen. Although, you'll have to re-clean it when he/she is done. LOL

Old 06-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #37
jamez08

another spyware removal tool

This is pretty good [free] malware removal tool : http://malwarebytes.org/

If you use Firefox, also checkout the add-ons "Adblock Plus" and "NoScript".

(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/)
jamez08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #38
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamez08 View Post
Just used this to successfully remove Personal Antivirus.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #39
BLAQHAWK

A very popular program now-a-days. I have not really heard any complaints about it, only good things.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:19 AM   #40
jow350
Respect My Authoritah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamez08 View Post

I work as an IT consultant and this has cleaned countless infected machines for us, probably the best scanner out there right now.
2006 Shift Red FZ1: FCE, descreened stock air filter, Lars airbox mod, Ivans AIS block-off, 16T, Speedohealer, Scorpion stainless slip-on, gutted cat, homemade fender eleminator, gel seat, rearsets washer mod, Michelin PR2s
jow350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry