click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues

Old 07-04-2019, 10:48 AM   #1
Mattsriding

mixture screw

Have the carbs off the bike, the brass plate covering the air mixture screw... do I need to remove this thing? Is there a tool that turns that plate? Not sure how to proceed.

02' fzi with 9500 miles, would the mixture screw have moved on its own, or is it only something to adjust if you're doing a jet kit? If I get the brass plate off, I live at sea level, humid ass Maryland, if I think i'm running a little rich, is 3 turns out a good place to start?

As for the other jets: needle, pilot, main, are they all to be gently turned in, tightly?

Also, what is this jet screw (screenshot link below), and should it be gently seated, turned tight, turned out, any help appreciated thanks.

http://prntscr.com/oanmn1
Mattsriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #2
Mattsriding

Holy Hell! Bwahahahaha. Can't get these caps off of the mixture screws. Are they threaded or just jammed in place?

Pat's page says it's easy. Not for my dumbass.

Aye caramba.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Aw come on. Just apply a little pressure and the thing just twists right out.

If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:10 PM   #4
Mattsriding

Haha! Thanks Pat, yeah I got em' off (I pushed them down a bit, and was having a very tricky time from there). Ended up just mangling them slowly until they gave up. All good. (Maybe they were easier to get off when y'all first made these bikes fancy, what was it now, 50 years ago?)

Strangely, the mixture screws were all fully seated. None of them were turned out at all. Sooooo... now they're turned out 2.75. Am about to re-install and give it a rip.

Noob returns to the garage.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:14 AM   #5
Mattsriding

Update to my fun struggle! (it is fun, learning motorbikes has been more enjoyable than frustrating)

Still struggling to get the carbs to fully seat on the engine intake boots (they're close, but I can still see the groove of the carb). Used good amount of rubber lube this time. Can get carb number one or four all the way in, but not both at the same time. Maybe a 2nd pair of hands would do it, but even with the air box all the way clear, I can't get all four in properly (and what I lack in brains I make up for in brawn, so it's pretty unlikely a "push harder" issue). Maybe the rubber boots have lost their shape a bit? Next time I'll take them off, give em' a good lube and squeeze, try to improve their condition. They do show some wear and light cracks, but they're not damaged on the inner side). Anyway, it's fairly close, and better than my initial efforts. Will try again next time the carbs are off.

Good news is getting access to the mixture screw seems to have helped!. We'll see, but seems good. I mentioned they were turned all the way in, now they're about 2.75 full turns out. Idle is steadier now. Definitely sounds better to my untrained ears.

See how my ride to work goes later today.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #6
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

You're not alone as far as trouble re-seating. Silicone spray, wd40, oil, whatever, and it can take a healthy amount of force. Always got mine eventually with a pair of gloves and steady pressure on the outside ends. Swearing helps. There's been more than one post by folks that resorted to wood and a pry bar.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
Dean Dinnetz

Yes, getting those carbs back in place in the boots, can be quite unpleasant.

Last time i had the carbs off the 2001 FZ1 i have, a tiny bit of rubber must have worked loose in one of the boots. Got hung up in one of the jets, and for about a minute, i had fuel pouring out of one of the carbs. Big time! Left the gas station where i was, and fairly quickly it stopped pouring fuel out. So what ever it was, it passed through. Been fine for the last 4K miles.

Make sure the clamps around the boots, are really loose when you go to install the carbs.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:45 PM   #8
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Put the two outside carbs in first.

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #9
Mattsriding

Ok, and hell yeah, I finally got the carbs properly seated into the intake boots.

I took the boots off the engine, sprayed em down generously with rubber friendly lubricant, and gave em a good squeeze and stretch, I massaged them basically. And when i went to remount the carbs they slid in pretty damn easily, with MUCH less pressure than my previous, unsuccessful, efforts.

The little "thlup" sound when they properly seated was verrrryyyyyy satisfying.

I love this bike it's so good.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:46 PM   #10
itsgrowtime

Hey Mattsriding, if I may ask (at risk of sounding dumb or having missed something):

A. What was your initial issue (what drove you to need access to the mixture screw)?, and
B. You'd noted seeming progress. But what was the resolution to your issue, in the end?

Sincerely...
itsgrowtime is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues