click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues

Old 09-10-2019, 04:31 AM   #1
coat4gun

Only runs on enrichment

I was riding up the highway at 75 mph this morning and my 2004 fz1 started to hesitate and then it totally died. I coasted to the side of the road and it would not start. I put on the full choke then it started fine but if I put on much throttle at all it would die again. I found that it would run on full enrichment so I limped to work.

Seems like it could be a fuel pump issue? I went out to the parking lot a little bit ago to listen for the pump and when I turn on the ignition there is a clicking and whirring briefly from the pump but then it stops. Is the pump supposed to stop after it pressures up? I turned off the ignition again and back on and the clicking from the pump is choppy almost like it sounds like it has a short or something. I am thinking I may have to bypass the pump to ride home. Anyone know what size allen wrench the tank hold down bolt is? I seem to remember it is 8mm on my 2004?

I did hard solder the white connector wires a couple months ago so don't think that's the issue. Checked for anything in the air intake too since I can get under the seat with no tools. Any other thoughts or suggestion would be much appreciated.
coat4gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:03 AM   #2
fermic37

That’s a jetting issue. Not a fuel pump issue.

As your bike will run without that fuel pump

My guess is something got clogged in your carbs.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:26 AM   #3
coat4gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
That’s a jetting issue. Not a fuel pump issue.

As your bike will run without that fuel pump

My guess is something got clogged in your carbs.
It did do something similar several months ago but only lost some power and never died. Happened at highway speeds when hot and didn't seem to be an issue on normal 35 mph speeds. Since then I have cleaned the plugs, boots, checked primary and secondary resistance on coils, and put in an ivans SO jet kit. It ran great for about 2 months until this morning. It did sit for 3 weeks until this morning because of bad weather and vacation.

I just checked the fuel pump resistance and it is 1.4 ohms - that seems too low. Specs say it should be 4 to 30. I tried to start it and it starts right up with no choke in the parking lot with cold engine and seems to rev fine. Go figure. Maybe I'll take back roads home tonight since I'm not sure I trust it on the highway.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2019, 06:12 AM   #4
Wizbyu
Wizbyu

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter
Old 09-10-2019, 06:32 AM   #5
coat4gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizbyu View Post
When was the last time you changed your fuel filter
About 3 years ago when I got the bike. Odd that the issue seems to be heat related. It is running fine now that it is cool sitting in the parking lot. Makes me think it may be something electronic... or maybe vapor lock?

I found some other threads that indicate the pump isn't needed but does anyone know if fuel will flow through the pump when the pump isn't running or does it need to be bypassed? If the fuel pump cut out while riding does it pass fuel if the pump is still in line.

I also found it odd that it would run with only the choke applied and just a little throttle, too much and it would cut out. Does sound like clogged jets but now it runs fine, now that its cool.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #6
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Have you lost any vacuum caps on the carbs?
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #7
Wizbyu
Wizbyu

You might also check your vent to the gas tank sounds like itís fuel related could be itís not venting properly
Old 09-10-2019, 02:10 PM   #8
jredford
Musical Metal

Heat related is exactly what happens on large KTM’s. Both Grommet and I have bikes with an internal fuel filters. They begin to stall when the filter is dirty and temps rise above 90 degrees. Bike will barely run above 95. The heat causes the gasoline to “boil” and starve the fuel pump.

Change your fuel filter.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:48 AM   #9
coat4gun

Well, I got home fine last night although I avoided the highway so I wouldn't get stranded. No issues at all. Before I left work I noticed that the hose that goes from the tank to the fuel filter had a pretty bad kink in it so I straightened it out as best I could by reaching between the tank and frame. I'm thinking this could be a combination of crimped fuel line, weak fuel pump, slightly clogged fuel filter and heat causing vapor lock of sorts. The choke just gave it a little more gas to keep it running after it cut out on the way in... that's my theory anyway. We will see if that fixes it after I replace a few parts.

I ordered a fuel pump since the original doesn't pass the resistance test (I don't have a way to pressure test it). Also ordered a filter and will install a new fuel line. Dang they want crazy money for OEM fuel pumps. I ordered an aftermarket for $30, Revzilla wants $287.19 and that's the discounted sale price, was $346.99!!! $241.15 at Partzilla. That's stupid expensive. Must be using gold windings in their motors I guess. I can order 8 for the price of 1 OEM.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We'll see if this fixes the problem once the parts are in.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:50 AM   #10
coat4gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
Have you lost any vacuum caps on the carbs?
Vacuum caps are all in place. Thanks
Old 09-11-2019, 03:52 AM   #11
coat4gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizbyu View Post
You might also check your vent to the gas tank sounds like itís fuel related could be itís not venting properly
I popped the tank cap on a stop on the way home and no sucking air sound so I think that's good. I will verify the vent hoses aren't clogged when I get a chance to tear into this. Thanks

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues