click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 09-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #21
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
The Royal Canadian Navy operates 12 frigates, 4 patrol submarines, 12 coastal defence vessels and 8 unarmed patrol/training vessels,.....

8 unarmed training vessels.... Old Yeller and 7 others I guess.

Hey - don't mock the Canadian Navy though. When was the last time there was a naval invasion of Canada? Nough said......
Yeah but their sailors are all unfailingly polite to the ladies when they visit foreign ports, so it's not a real navy.
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:10 PM   #22
jredford
Musical Metal

Quote:
The Royal Canadian Navy operates 12 frigates, 4 patrol submarines, 12 coastal defence vessels and 8 unarmed patrol/training vessels,.....

Hey - don't mock the Canadian Navy though. When was the last time there was a naval invasion of Canada? Nough said......

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #23
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Ol Yeller looks more Rasta than ruffian of the north sea, glad you towed her chubby butt to a safe place. That was a serious event, I was fed faulty data.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:57 AM   #24
quazz
Reality can be a tricky thing

Quote:

Exactly. There is a real cost saving from not pissing other countries off.
Canada had a large navy during WW2 and would again if we needed one but military spending is overhead.

93 Ford F150, leather shift knob (missing), rubber mats, AM/FM radio.
quazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:03 AM   #25
quazz

We still have no power. It has been out since Saturday and will be restored Thursday they say. We had no significant damage but trees are down everywhere and my road washed our on each side of my place. The road is closed but I still can get through.
It was a cat 2 when it hit NS and basically ran up the length of the province. We've had worse locally but none with such widespread damage.
Still I would take a hurricane any day of one of our serious blizzards. Those are much more dangerous. This one was just an inconvenience.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:21 AM   #26
jredford
Musical Metal

That’s crazy Pete. The tidal surge washed your road out? Asphalt?

Glad you are ok.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
Old 09-10-2019, 05:41 AM   #27
quazz

Yeah it is asphalt but it wasn't the surge at my place it was brooks overwhelming culverts and eating away the road bed. I don't mean to complain at all, there has been no loss of life and it is a messy inconvenience but that's all. After the Bahamas it would be lame to complain about an inconvenience. Those people are suffering from complete devastation and the loss of loved ones. The US has really stepped up to help the Bahamas it seems.
I live in the boonies and the little town close to us still has transformers lying in the road.

Last edited by quazz; 09-10-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:00 AM   #28
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Glad you and Ol Yeller are safe

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:09 AM   #29
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Quote:
Originally Posted by quazz View Post
Canada had a large navy during WW2 and would again if we needed one but military spending is overhead.

Do you think your youth still has in them what made the WW2 generation worthy of the praise the Canadians (and Aussies for that matter) received? We've got this big old military of course, but it seems so many are intent on raising a generation of candyasses that I wouldn't want in the proverbial foxhole with me.

I like your perspective on the current situation and find it interesting what you said about it being better than a blizzard, I'd never have thought of that.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #30
WDD

Quote:
Canadians in WWII were something to be truly proud of.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #31
quazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Do you think your youth still has in them what made the WW2 generation worthy of the praise the Canadians (and Aussies for that matter) received? We've got this big old military of course, but it seems so many are intent on raising a generation of candyasses that I wouldn't want in the proverbial foxhole with me.

I like your perspective on the current situation and find it interesting what you said about it being better than a blizzard, I'd never have thought of that.
I think that the life of a soldier has come a long way. It is no doubt a good thing but I think that those guys in both world wars had a much tougher go of it and it probably hardened them. They were sent away for years. Going way back a Roman soldier was committed to 25 years and it was a brutal existence.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #32
quazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Renda View Post
Yeah but their sailors are all unfailingly polite to the ladies when they visit foreign ports, so it's not a real navy.
I used to work in a harbour front tavern frequented by the navy. They were not officers in a shit hole like that since they had fancier shit holes. This experience did little for my faith that my country was secure but I won't elaborate. LOL

We did like it when the US ships were in town. They paid in US dollars and unlike our navy guys - we called them pukers by the way but that may be a local thing - they behaved themselves very well. Nice guys.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:23 AM   #33
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Not entirely sure about what is going on with young people in their teens and 20s these days, but there is a metric sh%t ton of dysfunction. Have personally encountered probably 25 people in this group, they are unfailingly depressed, suffer from anxiety and have been or are actively on meds. WTF? I feel bad for all of them.

2 of those people include my own kids. They really do have nothing to be anxious about. I am paying for their college (they kick in some) no student loan debt, parents happily married, someday I will croak and they will have a nice inheritance, building Roth IRAs for both of them. We are not rich, but we have enough that money is not an issue. They have enough to do what they want and to pursue their dreams, but not so much that doing nothing is an option. They have way more opportunity in that regard than I had. They are both trim beautiful healthy girls with a lot to look forward to. They know all this and yet they are both wound tight with varying levels of anxiety.

The epidemic of anxiety really bothers me. It amounts to a lot of self destructive worry over nothing, and that is simply foreign to me. Been transitorily anxious, concerned and scared of course (many times on a motorcycle - hehe...), but never as an ongoing hour to hour day to day way of life. Get on with it, grind it out, persevere, and confidently get there. I tell my kids this all the time, it is all I know, as I have been there done that. I know they don't want to go through what I went through (sustained hard work?) and I simply don't get that either. Screw em I guess. Their life, their choice. At some point they are adults and my responsibilities as a parent ends, and all I can say is harden up buttercups.

The master of thread jacking strikes again. From a hurricane to dysfunctional kids. Both are storms I guess - bow down to the master

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #34
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
2 of those people include my own kids. They really do have nothing to be anxious about. I am paying for their college (they kick in some) no student loan debt, parents happily married, someday I will croak and they will have a nice inheritance, building Roth IRAs for both of them.
You ever think about adopting?

I come with a steady job, and more motorcycles than I can ride in a week.

Also I would bring beer.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #35
Sam9

Quote:
I think that the life of a soldier has come a long way. It is no doubt a good thing but I think that those guys in both world wars had a much tougher go of it and it probably hardened them. They were sent away for years. Going way back a Roman soldier was committed to 25 years and it was a brutal existence.

I’m not so sure, Quasi. There are aspects of modern war that I think are very trying, by any historical standard. For example,in Vietnam an average infantryman saw more days of combat during his 12 month tour than his WWII counterpart. There was quite a bit of sleeping rolled up in a poncho in a mud hole, freezing and covered with mosquitoes,also, although there was periodic relief from that. Infantry in the Iraq or Afghanistan wars might do as many as 3 18 month tours. Maybe more, if they stay for a career. How that compares to a B24 crew in 1944, or marine in the mud on Okinawa, I couldn’t say. It’s all pretty brutal and I wish we were different.

Medical is better by light years, of course.

I have a relative who did 1 tour in Iraq and 2 in Afghanistan. Trying to get a sense of how it was for him, as always, I read. Redeployment is a good one.
Sam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #36
organ donor

Quote:
Not entirely sure about what is going on with young people in their teens and 20s these days, but there is a metric sh%t ton of dysfunction. Have personally encountered probably 25 people in this group, they are unfailingly depressed, suffer from anxiety and have been or are actively on meds. WTF? I feel bad for all of them.
I have theories on this which may be accurate or completely off, but I blame the vast majority of the anxiety on technology and social media. Being connected to everyone and everything all the time is not natural or mentally healthy. Being able to disconnect from your peers and their judgement and expectations and focus on figuring out who you are is a good thing. Having your life and everyone else's lives on full display creates a measuring stick by which you are judged and by which you end up judging yourself. And let's face it, it's not a very accurate measuring stick to boot. No one is posting Instagram pictures of their zits, bad hair days, or the boring mundane aspects of their lives. It's all glamour and filters, and a make believe life of the party existence. Add to that the constant bombardment from news feeds of every ugly, horrible, and toxic thing going on in the world and with very little of the positive things and people end up with a completely unrealistic and dark view of their worlds.

I realize that being financially secure and having the freedom to pursue any life path you want seems like a mentally healthy place to be and I'd probably agree, but freedom isn't always freeing. Knowing you can go in any direction you want, and knowing you have to reach a destination, but not knowing where that destination is and having no idea how to travel is a scary proposition.

I'd also add in some general things like a lack of connection with nature and the natural world isn't healthy. We've created these artificial worlds of concrete and steel that are full of light pollution, noise pollution, and chemical pollution. It's amazing what taking the time to step out into the woods or a mountain top without the noise and light pollution, where you can actually see the stars, and disconnect from the "fake" world we live in can do for a persons mental health.

Bad nutrition, poor sleep patterns, and a lack of exercise and physical fitness are also big contributors to anxiety.

Also a soft life tends to breed soft people. That isn't directed at your daughters just a general view that we live in pretty soft times and a health dose of adversity is a good thing that build character and grit. People who are out there legitimately struggling aren't worried about safe spaces or what's trending on the twitter.
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #37
quazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam9 View Post
I’m not so sure, Quasi. There are aspects of modern war that I think are very trying, by any historical standard. For example,in Vietnam an average infantryman saw more days of combat during his 12 month tour than his WWII counterpart. There was quite a bit of sleeping rolled up in a poncho in a mud hole, freezing and covered with mosquitoes,also, although there was periodic relief from that. Infantry in the Iraq or Afghanistan wars might do as many as 3 18 month tours. Maybe more, if they stay for a career. How that compares to a B24 crew in 1944, or marine in the mud on Okinawa, I couldn’t say. It’s all pretty brutal and I wish we were different.

Medical is better by light years, of course.

I have a relative who did 1 tour in Iraq and 2 in Afghanistan. Trying to get a sense of how it was for him, as always, I read. Redeployment is a good one.
Good stuff man. I should have said I know sweet fvck all about it.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #38
Sam9

That is one pretty little boat, dude.
Sam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:33 AM   #39
quazz

I love it. It is or was a working boat so it is rugged and very seaworthy. It is really nice to be out at sea with family and friends. Land problems don't seem quite as important.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #40
jredford
Musical Metal

The sea equivalent of a Sherman tank?

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion