register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 04-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #1101
Desmo
Mein Führer!

I bought a Flir camera for my iPhone. Right around $120 or so. Pretty cool.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #1102
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Even $1500 is a bargain for a good FLIR. The shop I work for has one of these babies.
https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-60HZ-In..._Review_156-20

Just got to take it for another spin earlier this week, a frequent customer wanted a electrical study done. Loose connection = heat = potential problems. Easy to spot with a good FLIR. That price tag though...
MichaelFZ1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #1103
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Link? Are you happy with it?

I've been waiting for them to get to the $100 range but cautious of quality/reliability issues. I don't need one. Well, *everybody* needs one, but you know..

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #1104
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Link? Are you happy with it?

I've been waiting for them to get to the $100 range but cautious of quality/reliability issues. I don't need one. Well, *everybody* needs one, but you know..
Well it’s certainly not like their professional models! But I’m pretty impressed.
I had no reason to get one either but when I saw the good reviews and the price I thought what the hell.

When I first got it I was just scanning the room and noticed that it was showing purple all around the front door. Huh. Sure as hell, really cold air coming in all around there! Fixed that right up with some weather stripping.

Negatives? It looses battery fast if it’s in storage. I keep it on a charger now all the time. It also uses up the battery pretty fast while it’s on. Not a huge deal as it’s not like it will be used for long periods.

Oh. It’s USB C for charging. It comes with a cable, but if you’re like me you don’t have any USB C cables so don’t lose it!!!

Here’s a pretty good example of how sensitive it is. I stood on the floor (hardwood) there for maybe 5 seconds, backed up and snapped the pic.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #1105
Desmo
Mein Führer!

I also got one of these some weeks ago. $35. Connects via WiFi to your phone.

I got it because something was in my garbage disposal and I couldn’t find it.

Endoscope for the win!! I connected it to my iPad and looked in there and found a tiny piece of metal that I was able to get.

it comes with a magnet a hook and a mirror too.

I think at this price it’s a must have. Super handy!!

DEPSTECH Wireless Endoscope, WiFi Borescope Inspection 2.0 Megapixels HD Snake Camera for Android and iOS Smartphone, iPhone, Samsung, Tablet -Black(1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYTHWK4..._CeZCvaDAZsgrL
Old 04-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #1106
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Where did you get it? Everything I've seen is $200 & up.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #1107
Desmo
Mein Führer!

I looked it up. My bad. It was $160 at the time I got it in December Just checked now and it’s $200 !!!

FLIR ONE Thermal Imaging Camera for iOS (Gen 3) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Z63RSL..._s8LSCb2QZH908
Old 04-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #1108
grommet
kinetic mentality

Thanks. That's what I thought it might be, but was hoping for an unseen good deal somewhere.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #1109
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
Even $1500 is a bargain for a good FLIR. The shop I work for has one of these babies.
https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-60HZ-In..._Review_156-20

Just got to take it for another spin earlier this week, a frequent customer wanted a electrical study done. Loose connection = heat = potential problems. Easy to spot with a good FLIR. That price tag though...
Those are very good industrial thermal imagers Michael. Frame rates of 60Hz for very smooth video and a 320x240 sensor with low NETD has the spatial and thermal resolution needed to analyze a situation very well. Good stuff costs real money for a reason. (When I started in the industry, a unit like that was in the $65-$90 range.)

Most of the cost is in the sensor itself and optics, with higher end optics being made of germanium, while some are made of specific plastics.

The smaller units for cell phones, while limited (don't look at the sun or your campfire with it) and much lower in performance, are still quite handy for general snooping around and importantly enables a larger audience to get a first hand look at what thermal imaging is all about. Yeah, it is Predator cool (warm?), but the uses seem to be never ending. Being able to visualize thermal gradients in real time on a variety of targets is fantastic.

* Excellent way to quickly analyze an HVAC/AC refrigerant system for operation.
* Electrical hotspots, failing breakers, bearings on electrical motors.
* Inside the house it is very easy to see drafty windows and doors, as well as trace roof leaks (the water line is very visible).
* Externally, with a decent resolution imager, you can see where water builds up under a roof.
* One cylinder on your FZ not firing? A quick visual will show which it is.
* Measure tire temperatures and view the contact patch in real time by mouting the imager where it can see the tire while driving. (I did this for a local race car team, using four imagers and a central DVR.)
* Night time paintball games out in the woods are a hoot with these. (Plus one can see all sorts of critters lurking about.)

I could go on for pages. Having ones eyes opened to this long wave infrared spectrum is truly amazing. (Note: They will not see through glass or water.)

When thermal imaging was my primary job, the question always came up, "How far can it see?", to which my tongue-in-cheek answer was, "Well, the sun is 93 million miles away and....". In reality, many imagers are spec'd as to how far away a specific target is detectable, such as a human or vehicle.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #1110
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitty View Post
We have to keep checks on hand because there are some businesses that won't accept cards. Like our local License Center where we have to renew our car tabs, licenses, etc. They only accept checks, no cards. There are also some local mom and pop restaurants that don't accept cards that we like to go to.
Holy 20th century Batman! We renew car tags at a kiosk inside the local Kroger. 5 minutes and 4 cars and 2 motorcycles, done.

I hate checks, didn't have them or need them for several years, but the last couple years there's been a handful of instances. County offices for pemits is one. Stupid.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:14 AM   #1111
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Still have docs that only take cash or check. And places that that charge a convenience fee for my preferred form of payment get a check, utilities, etc. But, I can let the bank bill pay generate the check and cover the postage.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #1112
Schmitty
Formerly known as CabinBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
Holy 20th century Batman! We renew car tags at a kiosk inside the local Kroger. 5 minutes and 4 cars and 2 motorcycles, done.
MN license system is all screwed up, switched to a new system over a year ago and the thing didn't work from the get go...spending millions trying to fix it now. My kid had to get his 60 day learner permit re-stamped twice because they couldn't process it for his actual card. So what should have taken a couple weeks took over 6 months. It's just dumb!!!!

2001 Yamaha FZ1
2001 Kawasaki ZR7S SOLD
1999 Honda Shadow SOLD
Schmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #1113
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Haven't used a personal check in at least 15 years.

I have used cashiers checks to purchase / pay deposits on high ticket items like bikes and property and such.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry