register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 2 Problems & Issues

Old 03-27-2019, 09:10 AM   #1
FZDannyNJ

Lightbulb 2006 Issue at operating temp

Long time lurker, First post, need help everyone!

Dan from New Jersey, you guys have been a big help so far, hoping for a little more!

2006 FZ1 @ ~19k miles
Stock bike except for ECU Flash

Since ive owned the bike,, (@ ~13k miles) ive only really encountered one persistent issue, ive read through tons of pages on this forum while looking for the cause.

The motorcycle would start dropping a cylinder while riding, figured it was coils, changed them out with a used set and they were good for around 200-300 miles before they started dying, threw another set of used in with the same result.
They'd always read within spec while cold but wildly out of spec while warm, so i took the bike apart, cleaned everything, greased, whatever you could clean, sent the ECU to be flashed (Bauce Racing), new air filter, new plugs (ngk) and coils (OEM), ran like a dream.

Now after riding for around an hour or more when the motor is well at operating temp, ill drop a cylinder. The bike lunges back and forth and you can feel its not firing like it should, rpms are consistent though so i ruled out the clutch. If i kill switch the bike while rolling with the clutch in, then restart it, itll fire right back up on all 4 for another few miles, then drop again.

Ive done everything i can think of. Banging my head against the wall. Bike is great around town, I use it year round for commuting, but longer trips it keeps failing on me, Im also starting to get more Error 19 codes, i heard it could be ignition corrosion, my side switch seems okay. When i purchased the bike the ignition cylinders keyhole cover thing wouldnt close, but i fixed it, but i can imagine how much rain seeped into there. Once again, sorry for such a long post, just wanted to show everything ive tried so far. Thank you for any tips! Bike always turns right over, no hot starting issues, heaps of power when the bike is running on all 4. Ive ran every type of pump gas, ive ran cleaners through the bike, recheck plugs and gaps, changed oil religiously, the bike is taken care of, minimal abuse, never redlined since ive owned it. Thank you everyone! Ride Safe!
FZDannyNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
okrider

I had a similar issue where one of the coils would die. Figured out that it was the day after the bike got wet. If I rode in rain or washed the bike, next day, one coil would go out.

Turns out it was a coil wire. It had been touching the radiator fan and was exposed. Couldn't see it at first because I change the coils from the left side of the bike and the wire was cut on the right side. Put some electric tape. No issues since.
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
I had a similar issue where one of the coils would die. Figured out that it was the day after the bike got wet. If I rode in rain or washed the bike, next day, one coil would go out.

Turns out it was a coil wire. It had been touching the radiator fan and was exposed. Couldn't see it at first because I change the coils from the left side of the bike and the wire was cut on the right side. Put some electric tape. No issues since.
Was just about to suggest this, and upon refresh, here it is!

Yamaha lists the coil harness as a separate part number, and although I’ve never removed it, this leads me to believe that you can. May be worth thoroughly checking it out.
MichaelFZ1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #4
old77zrider

Sounds like it might be temp related. Pull the plugs and see which one is fouled. Then find the ignition wires and make sure they aren't damaged. Check all points of contact.
You said you replaced the coils with used ones. They may have tested ok on the bench but who knows if they work well after they heat up. Swap them and see if the problem moves to a different cylinder. If so buy a new coil. Good luck.
old77zrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #5
okrider

but don't actually buy a NEW coil because they're $$$$$. Just get another set of R1 coils if you need more off of ebay
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #6
FZDannyNJ

I bought 4 new OEM ones and the issue is still there, but it takes a lot longer to present itself now, i bought too many used ones on ebay to keep doing that haha and ive checked all the wires already as well, i have a backup harness for the coils but see no point if mine is in great shape. I always make sure to tuck everything as it should be when im behind the radiator. I read your post about the exposed wire, been on my mind every time i pull the radiator since
Old 03-27-2019, 04:07 PM   #7
old77zrider

deleted
Old 04-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #8
FZDannyNJ

Update- Bike almost broke down the other day, surging and bucking like a horse, only when heated up. Still clueless. Stops if i turn it off and on but only for a short time.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:53 PM   #9
old77zrider

Still betting on something electronic in the ignition system. I don't know what the device is that controls the actual timing of the spark but that would be my next guess.

Update: I checked the service manual. There is not a lot about theory of operation of the ignition system but they do show a few possible components.
Maybe a bad pick up coil? or a bad ignitor module?

Last edited by old77zrider; 04-15-2019 at 04:29 PM.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 2 Problems & Issues