register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 05-31-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
wArDoG
FYYFFYB

Custom PCIII Maps

Last edited by Desmo; 04-21-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Removed dead link
wArDoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
barryc

Steve,

That is an excellent idea. It is stuff like this that makes this forum so worthwhile. I would be willing to bet that just about any aftermarket can will require just about the same map. I dont see how there could be that much difference in back pressure or whatever between can "a" or can "b". If the stock header turns out to be good, a slip-on and a map is all we need.

Count me in, barryc
barryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
Ivan
Performance Master

I am going to respectfully ask you Steve, Please do not put any of my maps (or part of) for this bike in any view (public or private).

Ivan
Old 03-22-2016, 04:19 AM   #4
stephenmwyatt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
I am going to respectfully ask you Steve, Please do not put any of my maps (or part of) for this bike in any view (public or private).

Ivan
You do not own the data and there is no patent of any kind available for what is basically "hard work"

I can assure you, I will find the maps, and publish a table that shows the deltas. My bike makes 151 hp and 111 ft-lbs of torque with only a GP shorty pipe, the rest is bone stock 2014 FZ1, running pure octane gas (100% octane, no septane, decane, hexane, etc from the typical 86 or 92 octane gas)

There are too many smarty britches idiots challenging my competence, and I am going to show you what matters and what works.

I saw this table where you claim all sorts of awesome mods to get 150 hp, which I get now. My state title, and my MSO stated that the bike has 148 hp. When you discern the differences in the models of FZ1 from 2006 to 2015, they stopped making ECM changes (Yamaha) in 2014, so the 2014 and 2015 are the same ECM maps. You might have done something good to a 2006 to 2013 to get it up to 150 hp, but so did yamaha.

Anyone should be able to discern the map with a Power Commander, and know exactly what you have done without paying $400 for mystery work. I think you are afraid of people knowing exactly what you are doing, and then not feeling like it is worth $400

I have an idea that if anyone were to run a 2014 ECM on an older Gen-2 FZ1, it would do exactly what your flash does. My bike runs perfectly, no flat spots, no issues, none at all, and it makes 150 hp with a simple 2" open exhaust (the GP Shorty) past the catalytic converter

stephenmwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
t84a
Real Bikers Pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmwyatt View Post
My bike makes 151 hp and 111 ft-lbs of torque with only a GP shorty pipe, the rest is bone stock 2014 FZ1, running pure octane gas (100% octane, no septane, decane, hexane, etc from the typical 86 or 92 octane gas)
Please post your dyno sheet.

JOIN THE AMA
Helmet Fact
My local powder coater
t84a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:10 AM   #6
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

I mean, just wow. Wow wow wow. 150/111. That's amazing. Best kept secret in the moto industry.
YamahaMan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
RDWARRIOR102

Quote:
Originally Posted by wArDoG
One of the things that makes the FZ1OA such a great resource for the FZ1 is the selfless sharing of information among our members. In an effort to continue this tradition for the Gen 2 FZ1 we'd like to set up a custom PCIII map section on the OA web site. If you'd like to contribute a custome map please email it to me at webmaster at yamahafz1oa.com along with the following information:

1) Member name
2) Map name
3) Map description (Performance map, smoothness map, milage map etc)
4) Dyno chart (if available, full size image)
3) Slip on used

thanks

Steve

I figured a map site would develope sooner or later, we had one on the road star warrior site, and let me tell you guys we had better maps than the power commander site did! I had spent at least $750 bucks on custom maps myself, only to find a better map on the warrior site. Just make sure you post the mods you also did to the bike and also the altitude you are in, this does slightly make a difference.Let the maps begin!

2014- Red blacked out Raider,Ivans ECU flash,combat exhaust,K&N filter,PCV5, dyno tuned, 97.48HP,118.45TQ.
F/S $8,000.00
RDWARRIOR102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:50 PM   #8
Bruce Bohannon

I have very strong opinions on custom maps (once the mods have stabilized).

I have installed numerous maps made for the same bike with as close as possible to the same mod's and conditions by being 'at the right place/ time thing' to acquire them. You think you have an improvement in some areas and you see you don't in others. Objectively - you just can't tell without a sniffer and a dyno. Even repeated tests with a mule or using drag strip times/ speeds, etc. there is too much uncertainty.

With the best maps I could install and test on two different bikes - My tuner (JeffW - Olathe Suzuki - several hundred miles round trip) got very respectable power gains - both in rwhp and torque. *But in addition - another real benefit is the quicker time it takes a tuned mill to spin up to redline (vs a map built for the same bike). Point? - If two mills have equal power - the one that spins up faster is....... uhum..... more desireable to me. (They can overlay this/ these curves to any of the others if they want. Dyno's are great tools in the hands of experts with the technology to go with.)

A custom map (cm) is built for your bike - not one theoretically similar. If your not looking / don't want to or can't afford that last 1-5% of performance, pass. If you are looking for the absolute maximum for every rpm/ throttle load (even timing) a CM will deliver the goods.

OMT - If your gonna watch the map being built? Be forewarned the mill (excl tranny and clutch) is taxed to the absolute maximum during the procedure! I've said before - if it's not broke in before the cm - it IS after. I suggest fresh oil, gas a check of coolant (or fresh if necessary), chain lubed and adjusted and proper inflation of tires, etc.... Your gonna ref those numbers many times over and you don't want to watch a grenade.
Bruce Bohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:05 PM   #9
RDWARRIOR102

On my first custom map for my warrior the tech guy put on 47 miles!!! ,not to mention the wear on the rear tire. Your right, dont hang around the dyno room listening to your babby just before red line, its to nerve racking?

2014- Red blacked out Raider,Ivans ECU flash,combat exhaust,K&N filter,PCV5, dyno tuned, 97.48HP,118.45TQ.
F/S $8,000.00
RDWARRIOR102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:44 PM   #10
Bruce Bohannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDWARRIOR102
On my first custom map for my warrior the tech guy put on 47 miles!!! ,not to mention the wear on the rear tire. Your right, dont hang around the dyno room listening to your babby just before red line, its to nerve racking?
and then letting off for engine braking... oh the rings and cylinders. Your right about the wear on the tire too. Nice watching the oil in the window pumping through the bugger with vigor though.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #11
Desmo
Are WE the baddies?

Kinda funny that peeps be gettin' all worked up about their biznikes being flogged on the dizyno.

What yall thinkz happenz when you be pimpin' dat ride on the bv?

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:22 PM   #12
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Steve,

I don't know how this works legally in the USA or elsewhere, but are you running the risk of having vendors/tuners coming after yourself and the board over software copyright infringement issues?

Mike
Falcon 269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:12 AM   #13
Ivan
Performance Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegtx2002
Steve,

I don't know how this works legally in the USA or elsewhere, but are you running the risk of having vendors/tuners coming after yourself and the board over software copyright infringement issues?

Mike

There is no such thing here for this kind of stuff....it would have to be a mutual agreement.

I have no problem laying off this model and just keeping it as just one of my rides. It's a really nice bike.

Ivan
Old 06-02-2006, 05:19 AM   #14
wArDoG
FYYFFYB

Sorry guys

I should have been more specific. Given our history with copyright issues on this OA I assumed that it would be understood that the maps I was talking about were member created maps. Not maps sold for profit by vendors such as Ivan.

For those of you that don't know, the PCIII comes with software and a cable that you can use to hook your bike up to your pc or laptop. This software allows you to tune your bike by tweaking an existing map or creating an entirely new one. Once the map is made it can be saved to the pc for later use or sharing.

Our guidelines for copyrighted material would still be enforced.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:32 AM   #15
Bruce Bohannon

So Steve -wArDoG I think you are saying *at a minimum* you honor Ivan's request and will not post anypart or all of his Map(s) for this bike....
Old 06-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #16
wArDoG
FYYFFYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Bohannon
So Steve -wArDoG I think you are saying *at a minimum* you honor Ivan's request and will not post anypart or all of his Map(s) for this bike....
The objective of this forum has always been, and will always be the free exchange of information about and in support of owning and maintaining the Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer). It never has been, nor will it ever be, a place where people can go to steal another's intellectual property. Anyone who has been here for any amount of time knows this.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:43 AM   #17
caitarou
Yeah, Shoot.

Just kinda me rambling here. . .but if a member has a bike tuned, by Ivan, Dale, or any shop, the map is HIS property. Not the shops. He paid the money to have it done. The shop has made thier money. If he chooses to post it here with his mods/altitude, etc, that is HIS choice. As far as "out of the box" configurations that a shop may use for their specific hardware, I can see a point there. I believe that map allows you to input who created the map and where. If a shop goes to the trouble of creating their own, then no, those shouldn't be posted. But to reiterate, if a member has his custom dyno tuned, he should be able to post it.
caitarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:25 AM   #18
wArDoG
FYYFFYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitarou
Just kinda me rambling here. . .but if a member has a bike tuned, by Ivan, Dale, or any shop, the map is HIS property. Not the shops. He paid the money to have it done. The shop has made thier money. If he chooses to post it here with his mods/altitude, etc, that is HIS choice. As far as "out of the box" configurations that a shop may use for their specific hardware, I can see a point there. I believe that map allows you to input who created the map and where. If a shop goes to the trouble of creating their own, then no, those shouldn't be posted. But to reiterate, if a member has his custom dyno tuned, he should be able to post it.
I'd agree with this in theory but if a tuner chose to sell a performance map as part of a performance kit (much like a jet kit) then that would be a no no. I think that is what Ivan is concerned about.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #19
caitarou
Yeah, Shoot.

No, I agree with that. That's why I mentioned the tuner saving their name and location to the map. If it is something they create to sell, then no, I don't think those should get posted. Just the guys who pay on their own for a dyno run for a custom map, or even a map they tinker with on their own, should post.
caitarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #20
300lbGorilla
An FZ1OA Elite

Is there no way for a tuner to password protect his map? It's an exe, isn't it?
300lbGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance