click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 11-22-2011, 02:37 AM   #21
faser01

I just added a slip-on and gutted the cat after five years of the bike being standard apart from Ivan's FCE.

Is it my imagination or did I lose power down low?
faser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #22
Draeger

Cat removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecold View Post
That is a great question that i would also love to hear an answer for.

Same goes for the cat, does that need to be pulled to or does it matter, and if so will the check engine light be on for the rest of my bikes natural life??
As far as the cat goes, remove the exhaust and drill 1.4 inch holes in the cat. Take a chisel and remove the edges. After you are done with that, vacuum out the remnants. And then start the bike. Cat is removed. Well worth it.
Draeger
Draeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #23
snuffcityrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by faser01 View Post
I just added a slip-on and gutted the cat after five years of the bike being standard apart from Ivan's FCE.

Is it my imagination or did I lose power down low?
That's what it feels like to me after doing the same mods.
snuffcityrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #24
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

Without correct mapping, the open airbox will lean out the bike too much and that is where you notice lack of power down low at smaller throttle openings.
RACE ECU|CRG Levers|Red RSV4 Bellypan|GBR/Graves/Woodcraft Protection|Evotech FE|Rhinomoto Barend Mirrors|EBC HH Pads|EVAP delete|LED Lights|R&G CF Tank/Tail sliders|Radiator Guard|PB Airflow Screen|Koso Heated Grips
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP|Ohlins Damper|Ermax/Tecbike Bellypan|Bestem CF Fender|V-stream Screen|Wunderlich Seat|Barend Mirrors|360°+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection|H&B panniers
Past 06 FZ6, 07 FZ1, 06 Daytona, 12 S1000RR
CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #25
Ivan
Performance Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBiker View Post
Without correct mapping, the open airbox will lean out the bike too much and that is where you notice lack of power down low at smaller throttle openings.
This is wrong.........

The open airbox has an effect on mapping starting at 4500 rpm at large throttle openings only 60% and larger unless the flies are modified or removed. Throttle openings of 60% or less are unaffected with the stock flies.

A loss at low rpm is not surprising when gutting the catalyst...... resonance is resonance... (trapping efficiency) you need to take the good with the bad, unless the exhaust is of the proper design.... even then there are still some trade offs.

In other words, when you "gut the cat", you will take advantage of the extra 8hp or so HP across 90 % of the rpm range, BUT, there is always a trade off, especially with 5 valve Yamahas at the very bottom... this is normal and can be improved by removing some fuel in the affected areas with a power commander.

Ivan
Old 02-07-2012, 03:07 AM   #26
faser01

While I did experience the loss in low-down power, I didn't seem to gain too much in the upper rev range to justfy the path that I took in only gutting the cat to go with the FCE.

I couldn't leave the bike as it was as it was not as responsive as in standard mode.

A PCIII, air box mod and dyno tune now has it running like a 1000cc sport bike should run.

I should have done this five years ago!!
faser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #27
handymanmark

I gutted the cat on my 09 put cut down flies on it, then pluged the air and did mods on air box plus added k&n air filter, did not have money for exhaust so I took a 1" hole saw with a two foot extension pushed down the end of exhaust pipe and just cut through the baffle.
this helped a lot, dropped engine temp by 20 deg and gave great acceleration. stock ecu and no problems, got rid of most of fuel cut problems but not all. k&n was added late in the game and I will have to say it is a must, if you want top end. some day exhaust will be added probably yosh full. first I am looking for and will install the dobeck.
techlusion.
handymanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:13 AM   #28
Ivan
Performance Master

I have a used one that you can have for $100.00 plus shipping.
(if you are interested)

Ivan
Old 07-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #29
handymanmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
I have a used one that you can have for $100.00 plus shipping.
(if you are interested)

Ivan
I have a gen 3 dobeck coming in the mail, but sure could use a r77 slip on. think that is what I will end up trying, based on some of comments hear, and the fact I think it will be one of the more quite exhaust. but more on dobeck, after reading more I find that it cannot take away fuel, and after viewing several tables I see quite bit of fuel being taken away, this concerns me. oh well I am going to add my aem wide band any way and will know if this is a problem. Ivan can you answer a question about the power commander V ignition box. seen somewhere that it can be used as a stand alone unit. is that correct? been viewing ignition maps and there is a lot to gain there. please shed some light on this subject for me. thank you.
handymanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:09 AM   #30
Ong Sujie

hi, i too want to know, do i need to change the CO setting(the dash setting) after i change to a slip-on exhaust?
many thanks..
Ong Sujie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:45 AM   #31
whittlebeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong Sujie View Post
hi, i too want to know, do i need to change the CO setting(the dash setting) after i change to a slip-on exhaust?
many thanks..
Don't mess with those.

Beast

Holeshot Highmount quiet, No-Mar Fender Eliminator, SW-MOTECH Bar risers and Crashbars with Saten666 highway pegs, HEL Stainless brake lines, PC5 with full time widebands and data logging running a MAP based custom map tuned with MegaLogViewer HD, T-Rex Frame sliders, 16 - 45 gears, Throttlemeister.
whittlebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:11 AM   #32
swordfish

On my 2014 FZ1, when you remove the stock muff. the exup goes with it. You will remove the cables that connect it to the servo up behind the gas tank. You can leave the servo in place so you don't get an eng. light, or you can remove it and get a servo buddy or something like that to plug in it's place to keep the loop closed. and just get rid of the dead weight. Mine would get hot and you could smell it burn. After all It was in there working away with no load.
swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:15 AM   #33
swordfish

that's what happens with less back-pressure and no added gas.
swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:30 AM   #34
killerpitou

A flash with vcyclenut and you can remove the exup motor without the ecu panicking and throwing codes....well worth it to me!
killerpitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #35
TheRepairMan
2006 to 2017 & SOLD!

Just ran across these. May be old news here... I'm not sure, but I wish I had known about them. Great prices!

http://www.delkevic.us/index.php?rou...R%20(2005-2014)

Free shipping within the US !!!

Dielectric grease information, IMPORTANT! http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...3&postcount=42

Ignition coil information, FYI. http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...0&postcount=26

Last edited by TheRepairMan; 12-03-2016 at 10:49 AM.
TheRepairMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance