register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
okrider

Maybe bike's born with it, Maybe it's Thermowax

After reading all the threads about thermowax failures, I have a couple questions, would love the input of people who have had to mess with it.

My bike is an '08 with 25k miles on it. Throttle bodies recently synced. Problem existed before and after the sync. For the past couple thousand miles, I've noticed that the bike starts fine, then once it warms up, naturally the idle goes down, it goes to about 1100 or so. After I've been riding for a bit (10-15 mins), I notice that the idle goes up to 1400-1500 or so. I can change the idle using the adjustment knob on the left side. I also have a very slight rpm hang. I assume my issue is with the thermowax based on what I've read. Am I supposed to replace the unit? If I need to replace it, do I replace number 16 on this link or do I need to replace the whole unit. I can get a used set of throttle bodies with the unit attached for about $80.

Also, as far as I understand, the two hoses running to the unit have coolant in them which makes sense as it needs the heat to for the wax to melt. What do you do with those coolant lines when you're removing the unit.

Most pictures from the old threads aren't available anymore so it's hard to wrap my head around it.

Just realized this should've been in the Problems & Issues topic, my bad

Thanks in advance,
OK

Last edited by okrider; 05-17-2018 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Wrong topic
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance