click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 01-23-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
Twistedpines
Unregistered User

Still won’t power wheelie

Hey guys,
Now this is not a complaint by any means. I love the way my bike is performing, I just have to wonder if something is going wrong considering I have read that people with less mods are “nearly looping” their FZs.

I have an 06, vcyclenut flash, 16/47 gearing, Coffman shorty slip on, graves velocity stacks, bmc air filter, Lars air box, r6 throttle tube, unkinkable fuel line.

I think most people would say that with those mods I should be power wheelying all over the place but cannot get the front up no matter how hard I slam throttle. Any ideas of where I might be losing power?

Like I said I don’t really want my bike to be uncontrollable, so I’m really just posting this because I’m confused. I’ve heard people claim they can power wheelie with stock FZ1.
Twistedpines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
Wayne-O
Traffic!!! Ya gotta love it.

I instinctively lean forward when launching. Are you ?
Old 01-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #3
okrider

You are trying to do it on high rpms? Like 8k+?

I have similar mods as you (rear is 45 instead of 47) and I haven't been able to get mine to power wheelie. Not that I've tried that hard. Figured I need to be at a high rpm to be able to do it and at that point I would be going too fast to feel comfortable with a wheelie.

Then again with all the mods, you should be able to power wheelie at a high rpm in first gear no problem
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #4
klj7734
Banned

Just clutch up. It's better on the bike anyway.

Oh and my 1st Gen will power up with ease but I prefer clutch up.
Then again it is highly modified.
But hey it's a 1st Gen!
klj7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #5
Fitty
Let's Ride!

I am not a wheelie guy by any means. Mine are always accidents. But my first Gen1, when completely stock, would always pull up under full throttle at 5,000 in first. I never really tried on my modded Gen2. It was plenty fast though.

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:46 PM   #6
bmidd
Yet Another Gen1

It's not the bike, it's you.
bmidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #7
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

1st gear 4-5k rpm, chop the throttle, WOT while transferring weight back! Sit back in the seat to start with.
RACE ECU|CRG Levers|Red RSV4 Bellypan|GBR/Graves/Woodcraft Protection|Evotech FE|Rhinomoto Barend Mirrors|EBC HH Pads|EVAP delete|LED Lights|R&G CF Tank/Tail sliders|Radiator Guard|PB Airflow Screen|Koso Heated Grips
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP|Ohlins Damper|Ermax/Tecbike Bellypan|Bestem CF Fender|V-stream Screen|Wunderlich Seat|Barend Mirrors|360°+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection|H&B panniers
Past 06 FZ6, 07 FZ1, 06 Daytona, 12 S1000RR
CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:55 PM   #8
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
Push yo azz as far back as you can on the seat, wind her up, be prepared.
I'm 245lbs of luciousness and I can get the Darryl bike to do it no problems. My '09 is mostly stock and it will lift slightly, maybe 2 inches off the ground, I bounce 2nd gear and it will ride out until I nail 3rd.
Wheelies are hard on your forks and front wheel bearings. Fun to see, fun to do, but no real need. I prove my skills by killin corners, save the antics for stuntahs.......... (isn't that what the cool kids call themselves now?)

2008 Ducati Hyper
2012 Aprilia V4 Tuono

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:08 PM   #9
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Guarantee if you take off that lame ass Coffman and put a real pipe on it, youll gain more low end and you'll have an easier time.

I gained a lot of low end from my Akropovic that I didn't have with my Danmoto GP exhaust. Front wants to get light in 3rd at WOT whereas before it didn't
Old 01-23-2018, 11:52 PM   #10
ZX-Dominance

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Guarantee if you take off that lame ass Coffman and put a real pipe on it, youll gain more low end and you'll have an easier time.

I gained a lot of low end from my Akropovic that I didn't have with my Danmoto GP exhaust. Front wants to get light in 3rd at WOT whereas before it didn't
Honestly i was thinking “all the performance swag and he’s got an exhaust tip on the headers??”

It’s right though, the longer systems absolutely perform better down low (below 5-7k even). The velocity stacks gave my fz a noticeable bump around 4-4.5, where it’ll wheel up easy in 1st. I would recommend ditching the exhaust tip and getting a real muffler and see how she feels. I’ve ridden many a Bike with chopped,gutted or custom “shorty” systems- and they never feel as smooth or as full on the low pull than longer/legitimate systems
RIP "Envy" - 11/14/15. Envy 2 - '08 Graphite : Full Fairing * AK20s * Elka Elite* Yosh R77 * Flashed * LARS * BMC * Vortex 49T * R6 Thrttle * GPR V4 * PCV+Ign+Autotune * TechSpecs * Carbon all over * CL XBK5 * DblBubble * Full Givi/Kappas * ASV C5 * Nautilus 140dB * HIDs 6k * Corbin CF x 2 * Thrttlemstr Cruise * Garmin Nuvi * Gold Rad Guard* Block Offs * Spdhlr * 780 grips * Givi Slim Fender * Clear Alt TL
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:36 AM   #11
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedpines View Post
... but cannot get the front up no matter how hard I slam throttle.
Every drag racer on here right now wants to be you.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:47 AM   #12
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

I’ve got similar mods as you only with 17/47 gearing. I’ll get it up to around 45mph or so in first, and nail the throttle while tugging the bars, pulls up easy. I’ve not tried second too much, as we all know, second gear in the powerband is running over 70, it’ll be over 100 by the time you set the front down.

I tend not to be a speed freak.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:57 AM   #13
fermic37

Needs the rider mod. And real exhaust for low end

Last edited by fermic37; 01-24-2018 at 04:22 AM.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:42 AM   #14
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
Needs the rider mod. And real exhaust for low end
Oh come on, that's all you have to say about his Coffman?
Old 01-24-2018, 05:52 AM   #15
fermic37

I know some people here have a soft spot for them... Usually in the head area.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:34 AM   #16
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
As I didnt notice or even know what a Coffman was, I tend to agree with whats been said. I had to look that up.
Short fart pipes are nothing more than noise. When I think of an exhaust its, header and mid pipe with a decent silencer on it. That thing you call a Coffman? Shit can that right quick..............

Excellent point Jake.

2008 Ducati Hyper
2012 Aprilia V4 Tuono

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #17
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

A stock Gen I will lift the front easily in 1st, without any special acrobatics, bar yanking, or seat position. Ease up to 6k, whack the throttle, and look at the pretty clouds.

A Gen I with full Yosh exhaust and jetted properly, will easily do that in 2nd.

I don't think the issue is with your Gen II, or even the exhaust tip installed. As previously mentioned, do everyone a favor and get decent muffler.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:23 AM   #18
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Stock gen1 would lift in first and second even with my fat arse. Just had to get the rpms up to where the demon lives
Old 01-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #19
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
A stock Gen I will lift the front easily in 1st, without any special acrobatics, bar yanking, or seat position. Ease up to 6k, whack the throttle, and look at the pretty clouds.
The gen 2 is also about a half inch longer wheelbase, that makes a big difference. Combine that with the taller stock tire on the rear, it tends to be a bit more planted.

I’ve still never found it that difficult to get the front to pull up.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #20
Wonger

I wish the FZ10 was as planted as the FZ1 was. It doesn't stay on the ground in 2nd. Even average, quick acceleration in 1st lofts the front wheel; especially if your transitioning to upright from a turn in either gear. Really hard acceleration in 3rd usually stays down, but it's light. I added more preload to the rear to help keep it down.

You'll find more torque from the full Yosh system for the FZ1 that will help you a ton. Sounds better too.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance