register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 06-29-2018, 04:43 PM   #21
arkie6

Your battery will probably last longer being charged at 13.5 volts than 14.0+ volts.

My '02 FZ1 original battery lasted ~8 years and I never saw 14.0+ volts at the battery terminals (typical peak was ~13.7 volts DC).
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:47 PM   #22
WileECoyote
Rebel Scum

Aaaaannnnnnd were onto another issue...........

**** it, I'll answer for him..........Marchesini cush drive has now come apart in rear wheel. I not only feel sick but obligated to hunt parts. If you have cush drive parts, which may be the same, send them or speakup. I am totally wiped out how our hero has taken this bike and found all Iits flaws. Apparently I am a wuss and cant subject it to his punishment.

Excuse all language and tone, I am peeved just knowing he's having problems. I never wanted this.

WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #23
bmidd
StatorMan

Cush drive ordered, it's only money. Maybe they will have it in the US and I won't have to wait until the Italians come back to work for 1 week before Christmas. Believe it or not, Marchesini recommends replacing every 2 years or 9300 miles, I'll have to find a Japanese equivalent.

https://motowheels.com/i-9622574-mar...-10-spoke.html
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #24
bmidd
StatorMan

This is what it looked like when I pulled the sprocket off, half the cush was missing.

This is what it looked like on the wheel after a 20 mile drive. It was the consistency of pencil eraser residue.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:39 PM   #25
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Take those pucks and flip them to the other side, good as new!

Seriously though, it looks like OPP racing out of San Francisco may have some. The ship window is 1-12 weeks though, call ahead and see if they stock them.
https://www.oppracing.com/product_di...0spoke-wheels/
MichaelFZ1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:08 PM   #26
bmidd
StatorMan

Ordered themfrom motowheels earlier. They are proud of them too.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:25 PM   #27
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
I doubt there would be room for the additional coils?
'Twould be quite bulky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longeze View Post
Thanks for catching that! You're absolutely right, it does depend on how quickly the magnetic rotor passes the static windings. As a point of academic interest, isn't there a point at which the coils are saturated at a given RPM and the voltage may fluctuate with load above that RPM due to things like back EMF, reactance and the like? Since I'm not an EE, it's not my "field" - just curious. Thanks...
Yep, at some rate, between 4 and 5k on our bikes, the prescribed saturation curve limits output, which is why it doesn't increase up to redline. It should also always be under full load via the R/R, which sinks and dissipates the excess power when the battery is near or fully charged. Even with that, there are current and voltage fluctuations. The voltmeter on my MG swings a few tenths while steady cruising, probably from the AC output variances.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #28
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Marchesini cush drive has now come apart in rear wheel.
Holy crap, Brian - if you didn't have bad luck, you'd have no luck at all!!!!

(for those not following along, the stator in my old Gen II exploded I think the same week we traded!!)

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #29
bmidd
StatorMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Holy crap, Brian - if you didn't have bad luck, you'd have no luck at all!!!!

(for those not following along, the stator in my old Gen II exploded I think the same week we traded!!)
Yeah, it seems to come in waves. It looks like the newer version of the cush drive is just like the Japanese bikes. These feel like blocks of candle wax, which explains why, when I first brought the bike home, I thought it was wax from the chain on the wheel. I should have been clued in by the guy that swapped the tires telling me the cush drive was made into the wheel and he couldn't get it off. That waxy build up had bonded the two pieces together, it had to be heated with a heat gun and tapped apart from the back of the sprocket. Very odd. I ordered a Matris shock from PJ, so I'll pull the old one off and swap on the single exit exhaust at the same time for added foot room.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion