register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 08-17-2016, 12:28 AM   #141
thepopularjock
Sometimes I "Drunk Post" :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg View Post
I still want to see a helmet with thermal imaging that superimposes on the visor to aid in avoiding suicidal deer at night. If I knew anything about electronics, I'd try to do it myself, but fortunately, for the rest of the human race, I don't.

It would be awesome to implement a FLIR system into a display.

http://www.flir.com/instruments/cont...TOKEN=28615588

Here is a vid of someone who had the same idea. I seem to have lost my embedding powers......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PpTQk8Jp-4

thepopularjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:21 AM   #142
mattg
Not lost, just unfound.

I did come across this
http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/CS...orcycle_EN.pdf

Looks promising.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:07 AM   #143
thepopularjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg View Post
I did come across this
http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/CS...orcycle_EN.pdf

Looks promising.

WOW!!!!!!
I think that looks awesome!!! I LOVE the way they set up the FLIR and used and existing GPS for a monitor. That is really clever!! We have so much wildlife in Texas that I routinely drive in the left hand lane to give me a little extra time in case a deer runs into my lane. That has drawn the attention of more than one State Trooper. I argue my case each time and I'm let go with a warning but they are clear on "The LAW" and in Texas the left lane is just for passing. This FLIR set up would give you even more warning then driving the center lane.

Matt I really think you are on to something. I ride quite a bit at night and often by myself. This would be an amazing tool to keep motorcycle riders safe. Thanks for posting!!!!

Old 09-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #144
DCrippa

http://www.siliconbeat.com/2016/09/2...t-new-lawsuit/

So luckily I paid with my cc - it wasn't easy but in the end they pulled through for me and got me back. Lesson learned - know the time limit of your card for disputes /making claims against a vendor - I was just past the threshold and am extremely thankful they made an exception.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:35 AM   #145
Scoose
What the.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrippa View Post
http://www.siliconbeat.com/2016/09/2...t-new-lawsuit/

So luckily I paid with my cc - it wasn't easy but in the end they pulled through for me and got me back. Lesson learned - know the time limit of your card for disputes /making claims against a vendor - I was just past the threshold and am extremely thankful they made an exception.
I was here just to post that link. I hope you guys come out ok on this one. Too bad you didn't get the helmet, I was hoping for something like this YEARS ago.

Mod list goes here....
Scoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #146
dan13

Their baaack

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/new...-technologies/
Old 09-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #147
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

Skully Nation. Sounds like a cat house.
2006 Harley Davidson V-Rod Street Rod (*Not a real Harley)
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1 (My favorite generation)

*My reply: If you dont like motorcycles that handle/perform as one should, then yeah...the V-Rod is NOT a real Harley.
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:24 PM   #148
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

So over these stupid tech heavy helmets. How about we start making Shoei and Arai helmets cheaper for my intermediate oval head?! That interests me more than seeing what's behind me.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:03 PM   #149
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

So looking at this thread, and the other helmet thread going on right new re helmet lifespan, would anyone buy one of these knowing you will likely have to toss it in 5 yrs time?
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:54 PM   #150
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
So looking at this thread, and the other helmet thread going on right new re helmet lifespan, would anyone buy one of these knowing you will likely have to toss it in 5 yrs time?
Ohhhhhh good point. And if they advertised a longer "shelf" life for these fancy tech helmets, what makes them "last" longer than an Arai or Shoei?
Old 09-19-2017, 05:22 AM   #151
fermic37

I would hope that the electronics would be transferable to a new lid. Just how the scala components in the schuberth helmets are. Being that the helmet without the electronics is almost $800
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:17 AM   #152
mattg
Not lost, just unfound.

Here is the latest plan. Take it as you will.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/new...make-it-right/
Old 09-26-2017, 03:09 PM   #153
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

I saw that and had mixed thoughts. Hopefully it goes ahead for those that have sunk funds. Hopefully they get a quality helmet out of it with a decent warranty. However, I wouldn't be holding my breath at this stage. I can't see them being road legal over here for a while yet.
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:00 AM   #154
mattg
Not lost, just unfound.

Here's an interview with one of the new bigwigs.
https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...mpanies-future
Old 11-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #155
thepopularjock

IDK how this will turn out but I know that tech keeps moving forward. This may be another failure but it shows that there is interest in this kind of technology......so we will probably see it one way or the other.

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/1...as-a-new-owner

Quote:
For years many questioned whether startup manufacturer Skully would actually deliver the AR-1, a motorcycle helmet promised to be filled with high-tech features such as a rear-view camera, head-up display, and more. The answer came in August 2016, when Skully posted to its Indiegogo page that it was ceasing operations immediately and filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. The company had raised nearly $2.5 million from backers on Indiegogo, who were now without their helmets and their $1,499 investments per helmet.

But last month, TechCrunch got its hands on an email to Skully's past customers from the new owners of the company, Ivan and Rafael Contreras. In it, the new owners say, "Skully Technologies is unrelated to the former Skully, Inc., which filed bankruptcy and is no longer in business. Although Skully Technologies has no formal obligation to the customers of the now defunct Skully, Inc., we recognize that hundreds of Skully helmet enthusiasts around the world have contributed to this product and were understandably disappointed that they never received one. We are determined to make this right."

But what, exactly, does that mean? Revzilla found more answers in an interview with Skully Technologies Chief Operating Officer John Lauten.

"It is the first thing we need to accomplish, to re-establish the trust and the passion in our fan base," said Lauten. "We're going to try and marry up contributors with their helmets and give them the chance to have the helmet that they've always desired. It's part of our core values, going forward. Skully Technologies is going to stand for being devoted to our customers. We're going to be transparent about everything that happens and we're going to make it right."

Lauten went on, "We will validate the order. We have data from the previous company on who ordered or contributed. So our intent is to make them whole. We're gonna make it right."

Of course, technology has progressed significantly since the original Skully AR-1 was announced in 2013. Will the helmet that previous customers finally receive be the same, now outdated, technology? Lauten is less open about this, citing confidentiality issues, but he does say, "We are determined to improve the specs of the original AR-1, on most of the features. We are aware that the product could use updating in some areas, and we are determined to do that. Our first primary objective, though, is to return to market with the product, as soon as possible."

Lauten also vaguely refers to something called the "Skully Fenix AR." If this is the new version of the helmet the name would be quite appropriate, reborn from its own ashes like the mythical phoenix.

(Meanwhile, The Drive just received a head-up display from NUVIZ that attaches to your existing helmet. It promises many of the same functions promised by the Skully AR-1, but the NUVIZ is real and available for purchase right now. We are in the process of evaluating it and will have a full review available soon.)

Last edited by thepopularjock; 11-23-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #156
thepopularjock

On the other hand - this is available now. Unfortunately for me, the price is more than I think it's worth.

https://www.ridenuviz.com

Especially with backup cameras getting to be super cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Rearview...+camera+mirror

Old 05-07-2018, 05:51 AM   #157
thepopularjock

Well, I have NOT heard too much about this situation in a while but I thought I would post up some of the reviews for the Nuviz .......

Of course, not everyone likes this product so I thought I would throw in one of the negative reviews I found.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:02 AM   #158
thepopularjock

LOL

This thing simply will not die!!!

I guess this is the new reboot that the (new - different owners) Skully Helmet that was promised??? I seem to remember that the new members were promising to make things right with the folks who lost their money. Unfortunately, I would not hold my breath!!

Old 05-07-2018, 06:04 AM   #159
thepopularjock

Obviously, this is just for fun (and being bored) but it gives us an idea of what MIGHT be available in the future. I am sure that motorcycle helmets will NEVER reach this level but maybe it will provide a look at what may be possible some day??

Old 05-07-2018, 01:47 PM   #160
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Who needs friends when you can have a conversation all by yourself?!
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion