register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 06:34 AM   #81
glory racing

I've been researching for my next ride...that is purty! 2 up potential?
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:53 AM   #82
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory racing View Post
Great condition, low-mileage 2nd gen FZ's are easy to find and bargain-valued. Just sayin'.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #83
Alley Oop
Proof That Man Rode Dinosaurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory racing View Post
I had grab handles fitted but haven't done any testing, yet.

I saw two videos 2-up that said it wasn't bad. The stock seat is good. And unlike race reps it was designed for a passenger. Relative to VFR12 not as roomy, but strangely my wife felt too high on the VFR. And she rode a lot on my FZ1. But I loved the VFR; set up properly that big momma railed and was even flickable. A joy to turn. Easy, steady, predictable. Amazing, really, for its size. I prefer the lighter weight of the Supersport, though. About 460lb wet.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:35 AM   #84
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
I honestly feel like his camera makes it look much better than our eyes would perceive it in person. He has like a 100000000 Megapixel camera. It's not fair
While most of us take snapshots, Shaun is a PHOTOGRAPHER. He has a fantastic eye. I have this picture that he took hanging in my home office. I bought it from him many years ago.

'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #85
Alley Oop

You're too kind, Cougar.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #86
Alley Oop

Okay, I took a minute to give you guys a Ducati Supersport S write-up from a former FZ1 owner. Here goes:

Iím always the first one to acknowledge the white elephant in the room. So letís get that out of the way: Ducati has a bad (or at least not great) reputation for reliability. Iíve never owned one personally, but I hear things.

Iím perfectly equidistant to two Ducati dealersóboth coincidentally exactly 120 miles from my house. That four-hour round trip prevented me from buying a Triumph a while back. But this time I think the special appeal of the bike outweighed not having a close dealer. I bought the bike in Pensacola, and the dealer there is great. I understand the one in Tallahassee is good, too. So itís nice to have options even if they are two hours away.

But, yes, itís a gamble. I hope that I only have to visit the dealer for the major service appointments at 9,000, 18,000 miles and so on. The dealer knows Iím doing the first service at 600miles. And theyíre fine with that. I notice that my Ducati dealers takes ownership in the care of their bikes more than the Japanese dealers Iíve experienced. Fortunately I have a great local motorcycle mechanic who makes housecalls with his mobile shop/trailer. He already told me that he works on Ducatis.

So on to the bike. What you like is subjective. I have a list of things that annoy me about bikes. This bike has NONE of those issues (while adding a unique Ducati annoyance or two).

Short range. Supersport owners report 180 miles. Only a 4.2 gallon tank but great mileage (Iím getting 40mpg) means I only fill up once a week while commuting.

Choppy fueling. The SS is smooth and linear (good job Ducati!) No abruptness from closed throttle. I have detected some surging when holding a steady 15mph or so. Fortunately thatís rare. These modern bikes are all programmed to run lean for emissions. So Iím pleasantly surprised that Ducati managed not to completely ruin the fueling while meeting Euro 4 standards.

Bike with cheap suspension. Supersport S comes with Ohlins. Some bikes released recently have a great engine surrounded by substandard parts that you can easily spend $5,000 upgrading. This time, Iím happy to finance that quality into the bike as it rolls out of the factory. Ducati even paid close attention to things the rider seesódash, bars, triple tree, and so on. Those things require expensive tooling, so I appreciate the extra attention to detail.

Poor brake feel or power. The brakes are Brembo and good. I think they will be very good with upgraded pads.

Poor wind protection. SS has a fairing and adjustable screen. Itís much better than a naked bike, but I will still search out another screen just as I did for the FZ1. I need something a couple inches higher.

Ugly design. Subjective, but I think the bike is really good looking. Not the best out there. But aesthetically pleasing. Thatís something that canít be said about a lot of new bikes today that look like insects. The Ducati to me looks like a bird, especially from the front.

Bikes that are uncomfortable. Again subjective. I donít like bars that are too high or too low. I thought I wanted a Speed Triple once but was shocked when I sat on one and immediately hated it. Must have been the peg to seat relationship. Weird. The Supersport was designed to be a comfortable sportbike, and they succeeded. I like more upright ergos but with sufficient forward lean to prevent neck and shoulder lash from acceleration. I installed Suburban bars on the FZ1 G1 (shame they donít make those bars anymore), and that degree of lean was perfect for me. The Supersport is pretty close to my old FZ1. Pegs are good. And they are nice metal pegs. Not cheap crap, rubber topped.

Bikes that are too heavy. Supersport is circa 460lb wet. Dry I think itís barely 410lb. At no time does it seem unmanageable or give you an oh sh*t moment at low speeds. Grab handles help when walking it around. I bought them as an option. Did I mention you canít even tell theyíre on the bike? Thatís how well theyíre designed!

Non-metal tanks. All metal. Thank you, Ducati.

Poor passenger accommodation. Thereís a decent seat and grab handles. Will Tweety Bird like it? Weíll see.

No center stand. Ah, ha. Did I say the Ducati has a really, really nice sidestand? I sprang for a new Pit Bull stand for the Ducati rear single sided to do maintenance and suspension stuff (stand was rolled into the financing). Iím steadily accumulating bike stands around here.

Bad mirrors. If you love experiencing the colorful light trails of your wild LSD days, these are the mirrors for you! So the stock mirrors on this Ducati are awful The good news is that vibrating mirrors are the ONLY bad thing about the bike and not even close to being a deal breaker considering all the positives. Some say they canít find neutral. I find it on the first try about 75% of the time, and they say it gets better as it breaks in. So I donít consider it a problem.

Fairings. Fairings are a hassle, and Iím usually not a fan. But they help provide wind protect and look damn good on this bike. So I can live with it. And actually, despite having a lot of screws (that Ducati somehow completely hid) they arenít difficult to take off. Shorai sent me a bum battery, so I had to remove the fairing. Yes, the battery is behind the fairing. But itís down low (improving center of gravity) and on the outside. I plan to run the Shorai extension behind the fairing for easy charging access. Ducati I believe has a built-in extension port under the seat to achieve the same with the stock battery.

Old technology. Whoa. This bike has everything but cornering ABS. Quickshifter (fun times!), ABS, adjustable traction control and ABS levels out the yang, Bluetooth, USB portÖ.

Poor touring capability. This bike has optional factory panniers! Iíve always got everything I need into a tank and tail bag. But options are good. It doesnít have pure touring range by any means. But I think anything over 150 miles is okay for sport Ė touring multitasker. A few riders report 50mpg! Thatís getting close to 200 miles. Iím too throttle-happy for that, I think.

Poor exhaust. Hmm. Save the planet and have a butt ugly, lame-sounding system or fit a full exhaust and unleash hell. Again I have to say Ducati did an admirable job with smooth fueling and decent looking/sounding exhaust while meeting Euro 4 standards. So Iím sticking with the stock exhaust for now. Ducati does offer a full Akrapovic (that includes a corresponding Ducati map!) but you lose the rear passenger pegs.

Poor power. This can be too little or too much. I donít like having to pussyfoot an overpowered bike around town. And itís no fun riding something slow, either. An FZ1 rider might think it somewhat underpowered at times; but Iím riding it <6K RPM per the break-in recommendations so havenít really been able to wind her up. It will get off from a light pretty snappily, and thereís ample power to shoot gaps in traffic. Again thatís keeping it under 6K.

Poor handling. The bike is light and flickable. I expect that it will get even MORE flickable once I get the suspension dialed in. You might be concerned that light and flickable means a rocking horse ride. But the wheelbase is actually an inch LONGER than the FZ1, so itís relatively plush and steady. Being faired it will catch the wind, though, as I discovered in a gust on top of our major bridge the other day. It does a fantastic job at squirting between cars on the commute. This bike excels on the street like few others.

In summary, itís as if Ducati made this bike for me.

Iím just hoping that, as has been reported, the Audi ownership has instilled some needed corporate discipline thatís resulting in many improvements from consistent fairing seams to longer maintenance intervals to greater reliability. My personality is such that I like new experiences. Owning a Ducati is new to me! Wish me luck!
Old 10-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #87
Alley Oop

A couple more in the driveway.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #88
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Nice write-up, I think it's a stunning-looking machine, and I actually strongly considered it before deciding to go with an FZ1. My nearest Ducati dealership is 3 hours away and I've heard it sucks huge balls, at that. I have a good friend on the west coast and the dealerships there are a whole different story. In fact, he has a Panigale 1299 and can usually get a part faster than your typical Yamaha dealer.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #89
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

Absolutely beautiful bike, Oop!
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #90
Fitty
Let's Ride!

Hmmmmmm. Maybe I WILL buy it when you get tired of it.

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #91
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Oop View Post
Okay, I took a minute to give you guys a Ducati Supersport S write-up from a former FZ1 owner. Here goes:

. . .

Wish me luck!
A thorough and reasoned report.

Based on all that, I predict that your next bike will be a KTM Super Duke GT.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this one.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #92
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by organ donor View Post
I call dibs on buying it in a year after it's been fully modded with every farkle known to man.
Damn, beat me to it.
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #93
Fitty
Let's Ride!

2017 or 2018?

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #94
Alley Oop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Nice write-up, I think it's a stunning-looking machine, and I actually strongly considered it before deciding to go with an FZ1. My nearest Ducati dealership is 3 hours away and I've heard it sucks huge balls, at that. I have a good friend on the west coast and the dealerships there are a whole different story. In fact, he has a Panigale 1299 and can usually get a part faster than your typical Yamaha dealer.
The Panigale sounds wicked.

Have you visited the Kansas City dealer? It seems closer than St Louis or--forget what's the other way--somewhere in Oklahoma?

Yes my dealer in Pcola said a lot of things have improved with Ducati, including as you say parts delivery. That was relief to hear. I noticed they do a lot of training, too. Maybe that's why they all seemed knowledgeable--except when one told me I couldn't use my existing front stand because the SS didn't have a pin hole in the steering head. Not true. I got a 27mm pin from T-Rex and was good to go. Haven't actually tried to use it, yet. That's a close space between the fender and headlight fairing so I'm slightly concerned. Might require taking the fender off. I hope not.

Last edited by Alley Oop; 10-18-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Alley Oop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #95
Alley Oop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
Hmmmmmm. Maybe I WILL buy it when you get tired of it.
Simpatico!
Old 10-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #96
Alley Oop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
2017 or 2018?
Old 10-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #97
Alley Oop

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
A thorough and reasoned report.

Based on all that, I predict that your next bike will be a KTM Super Duke GT.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this one.
The Duke GT seems awesome for sure.

But I'm only 5'9".

I'm not sure I fit on those bikes made for Austrian giants.

And I'm more leary of the KTM reliability than Ducati. So not eager to push my luck any further just yet.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #98
WileECoyote
Rebel Scum

Nicely done Oop.

I think that once broken in, you wont be looking for anymore hp than you got. Unleashing hell with the Akro and programming might be considered. It really woke my Aprilia up. I imagine the duck to be the same. They do like to breath, but really snore when they do. Either way, beautiful ride, congrats, enjoy, be safe etc etc.......

WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #99
barryc

It is drop dead gorgeous!
Very best of luck.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #100
redseal

It is a beautiful bike, even my wife gasped when I showed it to her.
redseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion