read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 06-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #61
SO FUN
1 FZ - all 50 States

What's so bad about wearing a flip top lid? On the street most crashes happen less than 5 mi from home at speeds of 35 mph or less. What kind current modular in any manufacturer's line-up can't cope w/that? Even if you have a get off at 60 on the highway it's gonna' keep you protected for that one event.

I'd never wear it racing, but on the street they're probably pretty close to ideal for function & protection in one design. Personally I like something w/more pizzaz so I wear full face lids w/graphics. But if I were grow out of that I'd likely look harder at modulars for commuting and touring.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #62
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

You may not want to bring that up here, but there's been plenty of debate on it on these forums even in my short time here.

My primary helmet is a modular/flip (Shoei Multitec), and have consider other modulars as a replacement (but have struggled to find one better..)
..a

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #63
JerseyDiesel

Location: Jersey, Ga a suburb of Loganville outside of Walnut Grove
If you like the Quest, try on an Arai RX-Q.
Same basic head shape.
JerseyDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #64
Sammax
Rest in peace Donnie

I am thinking I am leaning toward an Arai for my next helmet. I love my Shark Evoline 2 modular for commuting and riding to the store etc. I just bought a cheap Joe Rocket for my play helmet and it's the nicest cheap helmet I have every bought- which has been all of them (except the Shark). But I'm really want to lean toward a premium brand for that purpose. It's gonna be real tempting if I find a deal on one.
Inventory;
- 02 FZ1 (Gen 1),
- 05 Yamaha WR450
- 06 Yamaha TTR50
- 06 Kawasaki KLX 125
Sammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #65
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Shoei & Arai have totally different shapes. Go with what fits best. I love my new Shoei GT Air!
ZachD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #66
JerseyDiesel

Location: Jersey, Ga a suburb of Loganville outside of Walnut Grove
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachD View Post
Shoei & Arai have totally different shapes. Go with what fits best. I love my new Shoei GT Air!
Not really. The Quest and RX-Q have a very similar shape, as do the RF-1100 and Arai Signet-Q.
JerseyDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #67
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

I have owned both Arai and Shoei. Both are terrific products. I personally prefer the Shoei line as I think they have the edge in venting, shield changing system, larger eye port opening, drop down sun visor on GT Air & chin room (and does Arai have pockets for speakers for communication units? Shoei does)

If I were to buy a new helmet it would be the Shoei GT Air no question.

You really need to get to a place and try them on. That will tell you which is best for you. You can't go wrong with either brand.
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #68
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDiesel View Post
Not really. The Quest and RX-Q have a very similar shape, as do the RF-1100 and Arai Signet-Q.
ok, historically Shoei & Arai have different shapes. Lately the've both made some new shaped models to appeal to a broader range of head shapes. So, like I said - go with what fits best
Old 07-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #69
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFZ1 View Post
I have owned both Arai and Shoei. Both are terrific.......
You really need to get to a place and try them on. That will tell you which is best for you. You can't go wrong with either brand.
Yes, this!

But the GT Air rocks, if your head is shaped for it
Old 07-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #70
Sammax
Rest in peace Donnie

Zach, what is your head shaped like? Mine is narrow on the sides and not round. As I understand on the video on Revzilla I think the GT Air should work for me. I wanted to be different and go with Arai but I have to have an internal sun visor. I have it on my Shark and love it. The Shark Evoline is my commuting helmet and it's wonderful but I need something lighter for play time.
Inventory;
- 02 FZ1 (Gen 1),
- 05 Yamaha WR450
- 06 Yamaha TTR50
- 06 Kawasaki KLX 125
Sammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #71
motolombardo

Arai vector for me. Tried an rf 1100 and high end shark but IMO the arai fits the best.
motolombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #72
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammax View Post
Zach, what is your head shaped like? Mine is narrow on the sides and not round. As I understand on the video on Revzilla I think the GT Air should work for me. I wanted to be different and go with Arai but I have to have an internal sun visor. I have it on my Shark and love it. The Shark Evoline is my commuting helmet and it's wonderful but I need something lighter for play time.
I have a classic "Shoei" shaped head, since they've always fit me the best. I guess an oval or narrow on the sides is a good way to describe it. Go find one & try it on. The GT Air fits like my old X-11, in the same size (medium)..
Old 07-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #73
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

I had pit passes to the AMA Superbike race at Mid Ohio and spoke to the Shoei factory rep about models, tips for set up, etc.

When discussing the GT Air he said some people are surprised that you can't outfit it with a tinted shield. It already comes with the drop down sun shield so having a tinted shield in addition would result in potentially dangerous reduced visibility. That is why they made the shield connection different on the GT Air.

He said they still get complaints from people wanting to install a tinted shield. Go figure.

He also gave these tips which I already do but worth sharing:
- lightly coat the eye port rubber seal with silicon (spray it on your finger then apply) It keeps the gasket soft and nicely seals up the shield when closed.

- loosen both screws on the side plates , push the plates back then tighten. This also improves the seal. Note: this may result in the side lever that slightly cracks open or locks the visor not working. I don't use this but if you do you may not want to make this adjustment.
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear