open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 12-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #81
PFG
Like that when I found it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammax View Post
I'm am referring strictly about the hands and strictly about riding the FZ1 with NO wind protection on the hands while riding down the highway or Interstate.

I don't care how warm you dress if you wear some uninsulated gloves on the FZ1 in 30 degrees for 30 minutes (and moving) or more your hands will be cold.

That is what I am referring to. I don't know if anything else is a fair comparison, except another motorcycle.
Sorry to confuse it with the snowmobile reference, but most of my post was motorcycle specific. I sold my snowmobile years ago.

What I said still applies. Keep your core warm, and warm blood will circulate to your hands. Your hands don't generate heat, they receive it (or don't if your core is cold) from your torso.

You referenced it in your own post above, about moving your hands. What you are doing when you do that is attempting to increase circulation to an area that the body has shunted warm blood away from.

Not sure where you got that someone was recommending uninsulated gloves, I don't see anyone doing that.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #82
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Some really good points so far, so I'll share my theory of keeping warm while sitting/riding my Gen I at mid-30's and below on rides longer than my 30 minute commute. I've tested this theory many times with excellent results for me. YMMV

Windproof gear with liners and base layering has been covered more than once, so I won't rehash that, but looking like the Michelin man is not the end result. Since I've gotten heated gloves I use them to find and maintain that "delicate balance" mentioned earlier. While your fingers may good at transferring heat out of your blood, when using heated gloves they also absorb heat which is then conveniently transported to the rest of your body. Now, your body doesn't have to work as hard to keep itself at the proper temperature, you ride more relaxed, and your hands are warm, pliable, and in total control.

With the extra heat input, I don't have to wear as much insulation on the rest of my body, which doesn't restrict my range of motion, or feel weighted down with overly bulky gear. As always, there's more than one way to skin a cat, but this seems to work for me. Besides, why waste all that power and heat in the R/R, when it feels so good on my hands.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #83
Sammax
Rest in peace Donnie

I'm not at all arguing your (PFG) point about keeping the core warm etc. And wiggling the fingers is asking the body to send more blood to the moving parts giving more warm blood to the fingers. Exactly.

My reference to uninsulated gloves is to say that more insulation directly to the hands does help while riding in cold weather on the FZ1. For example my Dainese Gore-tex gloves are thicker and warmer than these Refrigiwear gloves thus I can handle the direct cold blast on my hands longer.

All this information I'm speaking of has been from my experience in my 30 minute commute to work (mostly Interstate) and trying to keep warmer hands. This is the second Winter. No single glove alone has conquered this issue when the temps are in the 30's (or below). Only when I blocked the wind with handlebar muffs was I able to be comfortable once I arrived at my destination. As an experiment I wore uninsulated gloves one day with the handlebar mitts and was fine.

When I lived in Atlanta I was 4 miles away from work and my hands never got cold because the time of exposure was low. Even when I rode in 15 degrees.

I guess the best way to illustrate my point would be to pick 2 identical cold days and wear the same identical gear including gloves and put this thermometer in my glove. One day put the Tucano Urbano handlebar mitts on and one day don't and both days measure the temp inside the glove after I arrive to work. Or another way to illustrate is to wear everything identical except remove the handle bar muffs and one day wear the Refrigewear gloves and another wear the Dainese Gore-tex Axons and record the temp inside the glove at the end of the commute.

From experience without the handlebar mitts I know that the temps inside the gloves are uncomfortable with either glove.

All I'm saying is more is better and I don't think any glove will keep your hands warm if you stay on the road long enough once the temp is 30's or below unless you add some other form of protection. Or heat directly to the hands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20131226-03398.jpg (47.9 KB, 39 views)
Inventory;
- 02 FZ1 (Gen 1),
- 05 Yamaha WR450
- 06 Yamaha TTR50
- 06 Kawasaki KLX 125
Sammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #84
PFG
Like that when I found it

We're talking past each other. You can complain about getting cold hands and not address how you insulate your core, and you will be 100% correct. You'll get cold hands. Heated gloves will, in fact, heat your hands. I can't and won't argue either of those points.

I own heated gear. It's a vest.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #85
Sammax
Rest in peace Donnie

I guess, LOL! Maybe I'm just a little slow.

I read a review where someone bashed the Dainese Jerico Gore-tex gloves because their hands were cold while riding through the mountains somewhere for extended periods. Those are the heaviest warmest gloves Dainese makes. When the wind is hitting the gloves with no fairing protection, no glove alone will work, some just last longer than others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dainese_jerico_gloves_detail.jpg (9.0 KB, 29 views)
Inventory;
- 02 FZ1 (Gen 1),
- 05 Yamaha WR450
- 06 Yamaha TTR50
- 06 Kawasaki KLX 125

Last edited by Sammax; 12-26-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: add pic
Sammax is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear