open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 03-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Helmets

So I'm pretty much set that I need, want, a new helmet. My Shoei Multitec just isn't fitting the bill anymore as I bought it when I had my VFR and was doing more touring than sport riding.

So I stopped by my local Cycle Nation and tried on whatever models they had in Medium....in Arai and Shoei. I think I'm leaning between the RF-1200 and GT Air. Liked both. The Arai was limited in what selection and size they had and I forget which model I tried but it was in the $600 range.

Was looking for some other opinions and feedback on these (as well as Arai).

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Did you look at the Neotec? I am *VERY* happy I finally bit the bullet and picked one up. Yeah, it's pricey, but it's one heck of a solid helmet.
..a

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Damn Yankee
Blood,Sweat and Gears.

my gt-air is growing on me very fast. kinda loud with the visor up.
very quiet with visor down. fit and finish..first class.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
Sammax
Rest in peace Donnie

To each his own, but.......I love drop down sun visors, very under rated in my opinion. No need to stop and change visors or put on or take off sun glasses. That rules out Arai and that is the ONLY thing I have against Arai and I have 2 of them since long oval is my fit. I also have a Shark that's too big for me but it has a sun visor so I wear it a lot-but the Arai's are more comfortable.

So if Shoei would fit me safely (and I have tried) I would get the Neotec or GT Air. Probably Neotec because of my jaw has some issues.
Inventory;
- 02 FZ1 (Gen 1),
- 05 Yamaha WR450
- 06 Yamaha TTR50
- 06 Kawasaki KLX 125
Sammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #5
travr6

I use nothing but SHARK helmets now.
Never was a fan of Shoei or Arai.
Great product but just never found one that fit me correctly.

The SHARK is extremely light and I don't get the head bobble at high speeds like I got with the Arai, Scorpion, and HJC.
travr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #6
Z Grand
Never Grew Up

I just bought a new RF-1100 on closeout for $250.00 -- there's still a few around if that interests you at all. They'll most likely be a few years old (so you may not get a full 5 years out of it), but for the price I figured I couldn't go wrong.

If I were going to buy a current model, it would be the GT Air. The drop-down sun shield is a great feature, although it doesn't have a SNELL rating if that's important to you. With other brands of helmets that might make me pause, but not with Shoei.
90 Honda Hawk GT
79 Honda CBX
82 Honda CB900F
Z Grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
Blue Flash
Recovering Nuke

When I crashed in November, the RF1100 took a hit... so I bought the RF1200.

I've only gotten in about 1000 miles on it, but the 1200 is lighter, a bit quieter, and seems to flow air just as well as the 1100. Another plus with the 1200 is that it has recesses in the helmet to place your Bluetooth speakers, and comes standard with the pin-lock shield. They reshaped the shell as well, and it seems to cut the wind better... doesn't catch in the wind nearly as much as the 1100 when you turn your head sideways. Worked great for me!

One drawback on the 1200 is that they reshaped the bottom of the helmet. The reshaping cuts down on the weight, and allows for the reshaped liner that closes the gap at the bottom better (to reduce wind noise). That all works well. However, it does present a challenge when installing a Cardo Q2 Pro headset... no gap to put in the mechanical clamp, and the shape of the helmet keeps you from getting full engagement of the adhesive pads for the cardo module. I have mine installed and it's working, but it's not quite as secure as I've had on other helmets.

another option that is out there on the 1200 is the photochromatic pin-lock shield. no fogging, and no need to have additional moving parts like the flip down visor shields... I think there is one coming in the near future for me... Of course, the new shield is about $150... but I'm thinking that will do it for me. If the 1200 fits well, I'd say it's a great helmet!
- IBA # 39318
Blue Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flash View Post
When I crashed in November, the RF1100 took a hit... so I bought the RF1200.

I've only gotten in about 1000 miles on it, but the 1200 is lighter, a bit quieter, and seems to flow air just as well as the 1100. Another plus with the 1200 is that it has recesses in the helmet to place your Bluetooth speakers, and comes standard with the pin-lock shield. They reshaped the shell as well, and it seems to cut the wind better... doesn't catch in the wind nearly as much as the 1100 when you turn your head sideways. Worked great for me!

One drawback on the 1200 is that they reshaped the bottom of the helmet. The reshaping cuts down on the weight, and allows for the reshaped liner that closes the gap at the bottom better (to reduce wind noise). That all works well. However, it does present a challenge when installing a Cardo Q2 Pro headset... no gap to put in the mechanical clamp, and the shape of the helmet keeps you from getting full engagement of the adhesive pads for the cardo module. I have mine installed and it's working, but it's not quite as secure as I've had on other helmets.

another option that is out there on the 1200 is the photochromatic pin-lock shield. no fogging, and no need to have additional moving parts like the flip down visor shields... I think there is one coming in the near future for me... Of course, the new shield is about $150... but I'm thinking that will do it for me. If the 1200 fits well, I'd say it's a great helmet!
Thanks! That is the info I wanted. I'm pretty much leaning toward the 1200

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:36 AM   #9
Keytickler
Causative Factor

Besides the two Shoeis mentioned, here, I'm looking at a Scorpion EXO 1100 or 1200 (sorry, can't remember the exact model number here). My EXO 700 is past retirement age. The new Scorpion model has the drop down sun visor, and inflatable cheek pads to customize the fit. Anybody have any experience with this lid?

Keytickler
Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #10
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

I just bought a new RF-1100 on closeout for $250.00

Nice grab! That is a steal.
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #11
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFZ1 View Post
I just bought a new RF-1100 on closeout for $250.00

Nice grab! That is a steal.
Yeah, its a good price, but I still worry about age and how old they are.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
Z Grand
Never Grew Up

You are right of course, but here's the way I look at it. You spend $600 for helmet you can use 5 years - that's $120 per year. For $250, I bought a helmet I can use for three and one-half years. That's $71 and change per year. I was happy to make that trade off.
90 Honda Hawk GT
79 Honda CBX
82 Honda CB900F

Last edited by Z Grand; 03-10-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #13
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock View Post
Yeah, its a good price, but I still worry about age and how old they are.
Those still new Rf1100s on sale can't be that old....the 5 year life is "suggested" in my book. Now I wouldn't go with the same helmet for 15 years but I would have no issue with 8 years. $250 is hell of a deal if you were shopping for a lid.

That is really the budget minded way to go regardless. I wouldn't go too old of product but look at tires right now. There are decent deals on Pilot Road 3 now that the 4 model has been released. I saw some real nice 40% off close out prices of Olympia Jackets on Revzilla. They are all gone now unless you are XXL.

You just have to have good timing. And looks like Z Grand had good timing.
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #14
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFZ1 View Post
Those still new Rf1100s on sale can't be that old....the 5 year life is "suggested" in my book. Now I wouldn't go with the same helmet for 15 years but I would have no issue with 8 years. $250 is hell of a deal if you were shopping for a lid.

That is really the budget minded way to go regardless. I wouldn't go too old of product but look at tires right now. There are decent deals on Pilot Road 3 now that the 4 model has been released. I saw some real nice 40% off close out prices of Olympia Jackets on Revzilla. They are all gone now unless you are XXL.

You just have to have good timing. And looks like Z Grand had good timing.
Which site....I'll check them out. If they are only 2 years old, then I'm good. I just don't want a 4 year old helmet showing up like one poster did (I forget which brand it was from Helmet Harbor).

Motorcycle Superstore has Q3's for almost $200 a SET (after $40 rebate) with free shipping! That's hot!

Once my taxes and bonus come back I have to choose wisely on what I'll spend some of it on. I need a helmet that is more sport and track day oriented than my current Shoei Multitec. I also need new leathers...want a 2-piece suit there. Boots....would like, but can get by with my old Oxtars. Tires....have a spare set of wheels I want to mount trackday rubber on (once I paint them). So I'm kinda picking and choosing at this point. Helmet is first.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #15
Z Grand
Never Grew Up

I bought mine from a motorcycle dealer in Dallas off E-Bay. Several bike sites still had some RF1100's left, but none in a Medium in the color I wanted. I honestly didn't think about how old it might be until I received it -- it was manufactured October 2010. Never used or even unboxed, so 7 years from date of manufacture would be October 2017. That's where I'm getting 3-1/2 years of useful life left.

Check E-Bay -- there's still a few listed. You could always ask them the date of manufacture -- I'm sure there are some newer than 2010 still out there. The RF1100 wasn't discontinued until 2013.
90 Honda Hawk GT
79 Honda CBX
82 Honda CB900F

Last edited by Z Grand; 03-10-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear