open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 04-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #21
Raven7
In search of Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesFZ1 View Post
Get What Fits!, then get the best of that model that you can afford.: (lightest, airflow, shield removal, costs of shields, liner availability and quality, etc.)
Still...I have a semi round head, forward face and man-jaw. (most helmets crunch my nose/face/chin).
I have found the Bell Helmet brand great for "American" faces.
I run the "Star" series. For me, the best of the best...airflow, fit, avalabilty of different sized internals, fit and finish...PLUS the only make that offers the Photochromatic sun shield! NEVER have to change shields. I will never buy from another helmet brand because of all these traits. And it's American!
But get what FITS your skull/face BEST!
Bell Star is awesome, hate to burst your bubble but its made in China!
Old 04-28-2012, 05:00 AM   #22
Raven7
In search of Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vmax View Post
Can't forget the arai customer service.....my quantums are about 10 years old, 2 years ago I shipped them to arai to repair some broken vents and some peeling rubber parts, probably due to age and use, they did it free of charge and checked the lids completely. I only paid shipping to them.
How good is that.
WOW, thats good news. I would of figured that Arai would not touch a 10 year old helmet seeing that they say replace your helmet every 5 years.
Thats Awesome!
Old 04-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #23
still_bluenoser

Comfort is obviously #1 for me, but a strong #2 is noise... I had a good fitting HJC for a while, but even with ear plugs it was deafening...

My qwest is very comfortable, very quiet, light, and the ventilation works quite well.

Not a cheap helmet, but its on the low end of the price scale for the high end helmets.
still_bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #24
arkie6

Quote:
Originally Posted by still_bluenoser View Post
Comfort is obviously #1 for me, but a strong #2 is noise... I had a good fitting HJC for a while, but even with ear plugs it was deafening...

My qwest is very comfortable, very quiet, light, and the ventilation works quite well.

Not a cheap helmet, but its on the low end of the price scale for the high end helmets.
Thanks for the comments on the Qwest. I am looking to replace my aging Shoei RF-1000. Based on web reviews, the Qwest is similar shape to the RF-1000 and has a few improvements such as a larger shield and lower noise. I think I'm going to order one in the same size as my RF-1000. I would like to try one on, but none are available locally.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #25
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

arkie, I tried them both on side by side last week (RF-1100 and Qwest) and they seem to fit the same and have a similar feel. I take a med in both. Hope this helps ya.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Humble yourself, or life will do it for you.
Faa Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #26
kaosbandit
Kaosbandit

Well based on everyone's opinions that higher end helmets are worth it my wife and I got some new lids today at the Competition Accessories store in Rock Hill, SC. Their service is great and they have everything!

She got a Shoei Qwest and I went with a Shoei X-Eleven.

I tried the Arai helmets on and they were very nice feeling too, but if I had teh extra jack that Shuberth CS3 was freakin AWESOME!

It had the best functioning built in sun shade I have seen in a helmet yet and it was extremely comfortable. I just couldn't shell out the 700 bones for it.

The Nexx helmets seemed decent, but they didn't fit me right around the ears. I was close to getting the Shoei RF-1100, but picked the X-Eleven at the last minute. Hope I made teh right choice.

I appreciate everyone's input.

"If you can't get hurt doing it, it probably ain't that fun"

02 jetted, Holeshot High Pipe, K&N Pods, Ignition Advancer, PS3 Electric Shifter, Galfer Lines, AIS Removal, ProTek Bones, Pilot Power 2CTs, OES Sliders, Stretch's BMW/CBR Shock, 4Lock iPhone dock and charger, GIVI screen, Corbin Gunfighter, Integrated Taillight, Throttlemeister, Ventura rack and bag, R1 Shift arm, ASV shorty levers, and a whole lotta love
kaosbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #27
tony13nj

Just picked up a Shoei Multi-tec and it's straight gangster. Fits my massive head like a glove, looks amazing (esp with the blue mirror tint visor), and you can't beat the whole-front-flip-up feature. The only problem is it's a little noisy, but I have yet to find a helmet that I didn't have to wear ear plugs under anyways so it doesn't really matter.
tony13nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #28
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosbandit View Post
Well based on everyone's opinions that higher end helmets are worth it my wife and I got some new lids today at the Competition Accessories store in Rock Hill, SC. Their service is great and they have everything!

She got a Shoei Qwest and I went with a Shoei X-Eleven.

I tried the Arai helmets on and they were very nice feeling too, but if I had teh extra jack that Shuberth CS3 was freakin AWESOME!

It had the best functioning built in sun shade I have seen in a helmet yet and it was extremely comfortable. I just couldn't shell out the 700 bones for it.

The Nexx helmets seemed decent, but they didn't fit me right around the ears. I was close to getting the Shoei RF-1100, but picked the X-Eleven at the last minute. Hope I made teh right choice.

I appreciate everyone's input.
Can't go wrong with a Shoei brother. Enjoy the venting on that X11.
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #29
Jeffibus

fits = first priority

Second = how much effort to swap the visor from mirrored to clear.

--

I like Shoei, since I can swap visors while wearing the helmet in ~10 seconds.

A motorcop once pulled up next to me at a traffic light, near dusk, and changed his sunglasses; I then opened my tankbag and swapped my visors in the same amount of time.

I like to ask Arai owners to swap their visors, it can take them 10 minutes or more if someone is watching them.
Jeffibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #30
85vmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffibus View Post
fits = first priority

Second = how much effort to swap the visor from mirrored to clear.

I like to ask Arai owners to swap their visors, it can take them 10 minutes or more if someone is watching them.
Funny....I preferred my X-11/Shoei visor system, better than every other lid I had, even the Arai....its the safest and most trouble free to use.

BUT I can change my Arai RX-7 visor a lot quicker than the Shoei.
I still fumble with my wifes RF900...but the trick with the Arai is facing the visor away from you.
JMHO.

OH Yea...kudos to you for changing visors on the fly...
85vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #31
diehli
Gorilla, esoteric

The Bell shields are wicked easy to change. Of course, I could change my Arais' shields with the helmet on, so I mightn't be the best judge.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #32
kaosbandit
Kaosbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffibus View Post
A motorcop once pulled up next to me at a traffic light, near dusk, and changed his sunglasses; I then opened my tankbag and swapped my visors in the same amount of time.
Awesome!

02 jetted, Holeshot High Pipe, K&N Pods, Ignition Advancer, PS3 Electric Shifter, Galfer Lines, AIS Removal, ProTek Bones, Pilot Power 2CTs, OES Sliders, Stretch's BMW/CBR Shock, 4Lock iPhone dock and charger, GIVI screen, Corbin Gunfighter, Integrated Taillight, Throttlemeister, Ventura rack and bag, R1 Shift arm, ASV shorty levers, and a whole lotta love
Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #33
kaosbandit
Kaosbandit

After my commute to work today I am very impressed with the X11. Sitting straight up in the wind (stock wind screen) that helmet was steady as a rock! No shaking or anything. Even with shoulder checks there didn't seem to be any extra drag.

The noise was slightly quieter than my scorpion exo400 sitting straight up, but when you bend down to a "race" position it was VERY quiet. I do have a little whistle every now and then, but I just need to adjust that shield a little more.

Neck fatigue was noticeably better with the X11 than the exo400 and the venting was way better too. I told my wife today that I understand why people pay more for these helmets now. If I can help it, I will never go with a cheap helmet again.

That helmet makes my ride even more enjoyable!

Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #34
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2iweb View Post
I've been looking for a replacement for my EXO 400 also. I did some research and the EXO 500 seems to be a decent replacement with 2 pluses (The tinted face shield from the 400 would still work and it also has an internal light smoke visor if a clear shield is what you want to use).
Minor point but even if you could _make_ it work it wouldn't seal well. The 500's opening has contours along the bottom -- the 400's opening and shield are straight. The 500 shields have the small lock for venting -- both the lever on the shield and the molded plastic piece to match on the helmet.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #35
Raven7
In search of Performance

With the Bell Transitions SOLFX Photochromic Shield you never have to change your shield
Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #36
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosbandit View Post
I told my wife today that I understand why people pay more for these helmets now. If I can help it, I will never go with a cheap helmet again.

That helmet makes my ride even more enjoyable!
And the same can be said for top quality gloves, boots, jacket, pants. Once you get the good stuff you see that's its worth the investment.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #37
WDD

Spending more $ doesn't mean you get a safer helmet. The reality is that at $100 DOT approved helmet will work just as well at protecting you as a $1000 DOT approved. Snell rating? I don't really think it adds much.

I bought an Arai because of the customer service. I got it at an Arai pavilion at an AMA race. The guy took about 1/2 hour or so measuring my head, picking the right shape of helmet, and then tested several sizes of padding to get a great fit. It is snug, but once on you forget it's there - and it's quiet.

Your average local dealer who sells Arais or other high end helmets unfortunately probably doesn't know how to fit or size a helmet, so you're sort of on your own with them. Spending a lot of money at a dealership won't guarantee a better helmet.

Bottom line - get the helmet that fits the best and thus will be the most comfortable - the price difference really won't buy you more protection. If a $100 helmet feels great, then you're fine - no need to spend more $ just to get a brand name.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #38
85vmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
Spending more $ doesn't mean you get a safer helmet. The reality is that at $100 DOT approved helmet will work just as well at protecting you as a $1000 DOT approved. Snell rating? I don't really think it adds much.
Typically once you have the snell rating, the price doubles.....you need snell for the track, the 1/4 mile, and even for cars.
How can you trust a DOT lid when it has the same rating as a harley skid lid?

I bought an Arai because of the customer service. I got it at an Arai pavilion at an AMA race. The guy took about 1/2 hour or so measuring my head, picking the right shape of helmet, and then tested several sizes of padding to get a great fit. It is snug, but once on you forget it's there - and it's quiet.
I also use the Arais for your same reason...I currently have 2 Quantum f's and a Corsair..........I also have a HJC DOT only lid, because it fits well, the reason it's DOT only is because it has the flip down internal visor, and theres not enough protection up top for the noggin.
Bottom line - get the helmet that fits the best and thus will be the most comfortable - the price difference really won't buy you more protection. If a $100 helmet feels great, then you're fine - no need to spend more $ just to get a brand name.
Agreed....its all BLING anyways...........
85vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:26 AM   #39
WDD

Motorcylist Helmet Article

My thoughts on the Snell rating is that it doesn't really reflect real conditions.

Snell tests helmets by hitting them twice in exactly the same spot. The chances of you hitting your helmet twice in the same spot in a real crash is almost zero. But to make the helmet pass the Snell test they have to make the helmet harder, which will transmit more of the impact / g loading to your head. Protecting your head is all about making the impact as small as possible. That is why IMHO helmets should be rated by G loading.

Now then - the NEW Snell 2010 might provide better G management than DOT - transmit less force to the head - but I'm not sure. This has to do with the size of the head. A small sized head with a smaller helmet will not provide as much G protection as a larger helmet fitting on a larger head. For the longest time, the testing was only done on one head size. SO.... it's still a bit complicated.

Interesting article on Snell (written before the new Snell 2010)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Jim Newman, an actual rocket scientist and highly respected head-impact expert—he was once a Snell Foundation director—puts it this way: "If you want to create a realistic helmet standard, you don't go bashing helmets onto hemispherical steel balls. And you certainly don't do it twice.

"Over the last 30 years," continues Newman, "we've come to the realization that people falling off motorcycles hardly ever, ever hit their head in the same place twice. So we have helmets that are designed to withstand two hits at the same site. But in doing so, we have severely, severely compromised their ability to take one hit and absorb energy properly.

"The consequence is, when you have one hit at one site in an accident situation, two things happen: One, you don't fully utilize the energy-absorbing material that's available. And two, you generate higher G loading on the head than you need to. "What's happened to Snell over the years is that in order to make what's perceived as a better helmet, they kept raising the impact energy. What they should have been doing, in my view, is lowering the allowable G force.

"In my opinion, Snell should keep a 10-foot drop . But tell the manufacturers, 'OK, 300 Gs is not going to cut it anymore. Next year you're going to have to get down to 250. And the next year, 200. And the year after that, 185.'"
The Brand Leading The Brand

"The Snell sticker," continued Newman, "has become a marketing gimmick. By spending 60 cents [paid to the Snell foundation], a manufacturer puts that sticker in his helmet and he can increase the price by $30 or $40. Or even $60 or $100.

"Because there's this allure, this charisma, this image associated with a Snell sticker that says, 'Hey, this is a better helmet, and therefore must be worth a whole lot more money.' And in spite of the very best intentions of everybody at Snell, they did not have the field data [on actual accidents] that we have now [when they devised the standard]. And although that data has been around a long time, they have chosen, at this point, not to take it into consideration."
http://static.motorcyclistonline.com...hoto_100px.gif (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge.../photo_06.html)

Last edited by WDD; 05-02-2012 at 06:49 AM.
WDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #40
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

My thoughts on the Snell rating is that it doesn't really reflect real conditions.

I don't entirely disagree with you but the most comfortable and feature rich helmets are SNELL approved.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear