read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 05-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #41
dasrider

I've got an EXO400 and X-11. For the money Scorpion makes some pretty nice helmets, the biggest drawback is the weight. I also owned an EXO1000 for a little bit, but the weight was the worst part too. Fwiw, I wear an XL in the 400 and a L for all of the Shoei's I've owned.

I own or have owned the Shoei TZ-R, RF1000 and X-11. The X-11 is bar-none my first choice for trackdays or summer riding. The ventilation far exceeds anything I've worn before. The lightness is very noticeable, even coming from the RF1000, and the aerodynamics work. Get up to speed and you can feel the helmet wanting to stay straight. The visor changing system is superior to the Scorpion's and I like the ability to slightly crack my visor or lock it in the shut position. There's always a drawback though, and for Shoei it's how easily their shields fog. That is the biggest reason I gave Scorpion and their everclear shields a try.

I feel I've got a two pretty good helmets depending on what I am using them for and the season. However, the X-11 is getting close to retirement so I will be looking for a replacement in the near future. Depending on how well Arai's fit my noggin, I may give them a look.
dasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #42
caupina

I'm a big fan of Arai helmets especially because they are the perfect fit for me. I love the graphics, ventilation, the finish, etc however they're expensive. There's another brand I have not seen mentioned here, Suomy, italian brand that makes great helmets, half the price of Arai, lighter and extremely quiet. I've been using them for the past 10 years. I recently bought a Biaggi replica extreme for 450, taxes and free visor included. My wife gave me an Arai RXQ as my birthday present. It's the Oriental Matte model. I'm trying to get the same model with the glossy finish just to compare it and see which one I like best.

Bottom line I highly recommend both Suomy and Arai.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arai Oriental 2.jpg (55.4 KB, 208 views)
Old 05-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #43
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
As stated, fit is most important, but in trying to find another helmet for myself, I've tried on and fiddled with many different helmets lately (all modular). The mechanisms and latches of the lower cost brands are really poor and clunky compared to my Shoei.
I know people who won't wear anything but Arai (but they don't make modular)..
..a
Quit using modular helmets. Full face are the safest...
Past 06 FZ6, 07 FZ1, 06 Daytona, 12 S1000RR
CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #44
BLAQHAWK
Keep the rubber side down!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO FUN View Post
I've been riding w/a RF-1100 for over a year and really, really like it. I was previously using a RF-1000.

It's the first helmet I've worn I can actually feel ventilation differences when I open and close various vent options. Interior is soft and durable, fully removable/washable, etc.

As others have stated, fit is the most important, but that being said, I will never ride with a cheap helmet again. SHOEI or ARAI all the way. Fit and comfort are second to none. the RF 1100 has a fully removable liner where my RF 1000 did not. You will not regret buying the better helmet assuming it fits you.

|| Hyperpro Steering Damper | ASV C-5 Levers | Rizoma Sport Grips | Suburban Machinery S2 Bars | HEL SS Lines Front & Rear | Motivation Frame Sliders | Proton Flushmounts | EBC HH Pads Front & Rear | Satan 666's HWY Pegs | Ivan's FCE | Ivan's AIS Plates | Akra Shortened 4.5" | SpeedoHealer v4 | PCV | K&N | Airbox Mod | CD's Flies | Custom Dynamics® FE | SuperSprox 48T | RK X-Ring Chain | Custom EXUP plug ||
BLAQHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #45
PFG
Like that when I found it

I ended up replacing my ill-fitting Scorpion with a Shoei Qwest. MUCH quieter, fits my head. Shield fogs like my RF1000, but I figured it would.

Tried to pass the Scorpion on to the wife, fives minutes in she was asking 'Why is this so LOUD?'. I may keep it around for a loaner or to wear when it's really cold and I'm commuting, for the fog free shield.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #46
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFG View Post
Tried to pass the Scorpion on to the wife, fives minutes in she was asking 'Why is this so LOUD?'. I may keep it around for a loaner or to wear when it's really cold and I'm commuting, for the fog free shield.
What is her usual helmet?
..a

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #47
PFG

A Z1R, don't remember the model off hand. The Scorpion has many better features, but is just louder. She prefers the softness of the liner and the tinted shield I put on the Scorpion, but I'm not sure yet if the noise is going to be a deal breaker. The only option I hadn't tried was something like the Quiet rider skirt.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #48
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFG View Post
I ended up replacing my ill-fitting Scorpion with a Shoei Qwest. MUCH quieter, fits my head. Shield fogs like my RF1000, but I figured it would.

Good to know...I ordered the Qwest as well to replace my Scorpion EXO400 and it arrives today

I ordered the Nexx helmet first but the shape did not fit my head well...pushed too much on the forehead.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Humble yourself, or life will do it for you.
Faa Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #49
fdl3
2007 Raven FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBiker View Post
But only if you use WD-40 on your chain...
fdl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #50
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

I know a large percentage of wrecks involve the rider hitting the pavement face down. With the advances in design, I really wonder how much less safe the (quality) modular helmets are vs regular full face. (EDIT: sorry for the thread hijack).

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Old 06-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #51
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

Someone mentioned fogging with Shoei. I chin vent works very well on my RF1100 to clear that but in cooler weather that isn't an option. I invested in the pinlock shield insert system and it is outstanding. Works in the coldest of temps and rain. Awesome. You can get a smoke insert as well as clear.
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #52
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Got my Qwest today, took it for a test ride. On my left ear, the helmet is dead quiet. On my right, it couldn't be louder. WTF? I checked the pads and everything is in place properly so I'm not sure why one side is waaaaay noisier than the other? Maybe my frickin head is lopsided Never experienced that with a helmet before.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Old 06-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #53
topsyt
Under consideration

Just ran across this. I have 2 Scorpion EX400s, one is old and needs to be retired, the other is much newer. I have a hard time finding something that fits, but the Scorpion was the best fitting in its price range. I've been wanting something quieter and better fitting, so I went to the local shop to try on some helmets, having tried on a Qwest in the past. I tried it again, and it felt better than the Scorpion, but the the $370 price tag was tough to handle. The sales guy wanted me to try an Arai RX-Q, which I said was pointless since it was over $500 (solid color). Man, if felt great, way better than my Scorpions or the Qwest. I found an Arai RX-Q with graphics online for under $400 and had to go for it. Got it today, can't wait to take a ride with it.
'08 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Sold)
'03 Honda VTX 1800 (Sold)
'04 FZ1 Skunk (Sold)
'05 Honda Valkyrie Rune (Sold)
topsyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #54
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

There's large empty areas around the ears, I guess where you can mount communicators/speakers. This amplifies the noise. Since I don't need to mount anything there, I ordered some earpads that fit the Shoei Neotec helmet. Not sure if they will fit but they were $5 so worth a try. I'm sure I can make them fit with some creativity.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Old 06-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #55
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faa Q View Post
Got my Qwest today, took it for a test ride. On my left ear, the helmet is dead quiet. On my right, it couldn't be louder. WTF? I checked the pads and everything is in place properly so I'm not sure why one side is waaaaay noisier than the other? Maybe my frickin head is lopsided Never experienced that with a helmet before.
Shoei has adjustable "side pods". There is a screw to loosen and you can slide the pod forward or back. Try adjusting it back slightly until you reduce the noise. That typically works and a nice benefit of Shoei to have that adjustment. Also, a couple times per year take silicon spray and spray your finger or clean cloth and rub down the rubber gasket surrounding the shield. This keeps the rubber seal soft and functioning. (also a good thing to do on top case lid gaskets)
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #56
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Thanks, I'll look into that. I believe it's more of the air coming from underneath but I do get a whistling sound (apparently, not unusual for the Qwest) which may be fixed with the adjustment.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #57
PFG

I can hear the whistle from the top vent, more on an FZ1 than on my Tenere. But it's no where near the loud rumble coming in the bottom of the scorpion.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:24 AM   #58
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

I think adjusting the pods more or less cured the whistle for me. The helmet is dead quiet < 45mph but after that it gets very loud, especially in my right ear. The ear pads should arrive today so we'll see how that helps. I can feel the air circulating around my ear although I can't discern where it's coming from. It's very snug around my chin/neck.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Old 06-08-2012, 04:51 AM   #59
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

The ear pads fit great and help a lot although if you want to use headphones, you're SOL.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Old 06-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #60
jethro
Racoon-slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBiker View Post
There is an added degree of safety that is directly related to how comfortable I am on the bike. Yes, I 100% agree that modulars offer less protection, and if I were to know that I was going to be in a crash today, I would be wearing the full face, Snell 2012 helmet that I use for track days and drag racing. But it's impossible to deny how much more comfortable I am when I can open that chin bar and feel less claustrophobic when I am wearing that helmet all day.
2003 Polaris 700XCSP
1995 Polaris 600XLT

"Peace, by superior fire power..."

My bikes: http://www.geoffreysworld.com/The%20Bikes.htm
jethro is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear