read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 06-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
speedjunkie69

Scala Rider is it worth it??

What is your opinion of these types of communication devices? I'm ordering the G9 and would like to know how essential they are to people who own one. Is it like "don't know how I lived with out it" or more like "its a gadget thats okay but I rarely use it anymore"
Personnaly, I'm looking forward to some tunes on my rides as well as the bike to bike communication........
cheers
speedjunkie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
flbusa
Pot Stirrer

I own a Scala rider but don't use it anymore.

Not because it didn't work but more because it hurt my ears. My ears are pretty sensitive and, they're pretty big too, if they're bent a little bit for a sustained period they start to hurt like hell.

So if you don't suffer from bent ear syndrome like I do then go for it.

BTW... Sound quality was pretty good and it easily synced up to my Garmin Zumo.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Seattle_Superhawk

flbusa,
Are you looking to get rid of your scala ? i am looking for bike to bike coms as well.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:22 AM   #4
scubadoguk

I have a smh10 and have found it a great piece of kit, I have used a autocom unit for the past 10 yrs that my ex wife and I used for coms on rides for yrs and found it great so I am used to the issue of wearing a under helmet to keep my ear from rolling and such, but when riding solo I used ear buds and never really thought much to bike to bike.
A week ago I bought a sena smh10 wow I can still keep my foam ear plugs in and listen to tunes and for the first time used bike to bike.I know its not everyone that wants this but I do find it very comforting to have the best of each aspect when I want it and have been very impressed how simple this all is to use and to put together.
I am sure scala is going to be great have fun.
scubadoguk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:40 AM   #5
P-Ratt
Do you floss?

What you are trying to connect to with Bluetooth can make a difference. I have a G4 Powerset. If I use a single unit for a solo ride, evrything is cool, but if I try to use both for a 2-up or 2-bike trip, it won't stay connected to my phone. If you have an iPhone I hear life is good. I'm using a Samsung and life ain't so sweet.
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

cent percent and more. Sena is the best!
RACE ECU|CRG Levers|Red RSV4 Bellypan|GBR/Graves/Woodcraft Protection|Evotech FE|Rhinomoto Barend Mirrors|EBC HH Pads|EVAP delete|LED Lights|R&G CF Tank/Tail sliders|Radiator Guard|PB Airflow Screen|Koso Heated Grips
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP|Ohlins Damper|Ermax/Tecbike Bellypan|Bestem CF Fender|V-stream Screen|Wunderlich Seat|Barend Mirrors|360°+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection|H&B panniers
Past 06 FZ6, 07 FZ1, 06 Daytona, 12 S1000RR
CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #7
Seattle_Superhawk

Joe , what unit are you using and have used ?..... Still doing my research
Old 06-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #8
Wlfman
Just another Slow Poke

I have the Scale Q2Pro and love it. Use it all the time for GPS directions/phone/MP3 My only complaint with the unit itself is that the battery only last about 7 hours of continuous use of before it dies. Most of my rides I am out 10+ hours.

"I ride not to add days to my life, but to add LIFE to my days."

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
Indy

My girlfriend and I, along with a few friends have the G4 and we love them. We actually keep the channel open the whole ride and it's great. We chat and laugh and have a good time. We also wear ear buds for music under the speakers for the G4. That way we can listen to music on real low volume, but still hear each other just fine.

I don't typically connect my phone unless I know I'm going to be making a call. A friend of mine keeps his Android phone connected and has taken calls while we were riding and came back to chatting with no problems.

On top of that, the UPS man delivered 4 G9's to us yesterday. I got them out and charged them last night. Also compared them to our G4's. The new units have much smaller mic's which I like. The buttons are a little nicer too. Haven't powered them up yet.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #10
carpe_diem

I have one, but I only use it on trips with my buddy who also has it.

I don't see the point for short trips, because I don't need to talk on the phone that badly.

For music I use a set of etymotic's. Great sound and isolation.
Graves Sliders, Custom Fender Eliminator
Pazzo Levers, Rizoma Risers, Custom Highway Pegs by me, Washer-mod rearsets
Fuseblock, USB Charger Plug, Power Plug
Givi V35's with SW Motech Rack
Ivan's FCE, K&N Filter
Yoshimura TRC Slip-On, Clear Alternatives integrated tail light
carpe_diem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
loosenut
Now where did that come from?

I have the Sena SM10 units. They are great. Makes communicating with a passenger great. My friend has a different brand and I simply call him to communicate for things we don't have hand signals for.

2007 Yamaha FZ1 SOLD
2005 GasGas EC300 SOLD, 2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
i2iweb
DFW-Texas

I use a Scala Q2 Pro and can't leave home without it. I have it connected to my phone which also doubles as my gps but I mostly use it to listen to FM radio. On my blackberry I have a program called drivesafe.ly which I downloaded when blackberry offered it for free a few months back and it plays emails and txt messages to you while you are riding which is a neat feature but I choose to listen to txts only.
2006 Nakid! |16t | SpeedoDRD | DanMoto CF Slipon | Shorty Levers | Bar End Mirrors | Fender Eliminator | Integrated LED (Smoked) turn/brake lights | Plugged AIS | 12v Outlet | Heated Grip Pads | Tank Mounted GPS/Phone Mount | Round Headlight | Givi Windscreen | Easton Bars/Clamps
i2iweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
B_palmer22

go with the sena SMH10!
08 KTM 690 SMC
07 Aprilia SXV550
B_palmer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
i2iweb
DFW-Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_palmer22 View Post
go with the sena SMH10!
I think you should state why he should go with one and not the other.
2006 Nakid! |16t | SpeedoDRD | DanMoto CF Slipon | Shorty Levers | Bar End Mirrors | Fender Eliminator | Integrated LED (Smoked) turn/brake lights | Plugged AIS | 12v Outlet | Heated Grip Pads | Tank Mounted GPS/Phone Mount | Round Headlight | Givi Windscreen | Easton Bars/Clamps
i2iweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #15
Cougar8000

Most of the third party reviews put SENA ahead of competition. Quality of the sound is better. MUCH easier to operate. With all of the new things that are coming out of SENA it is hard not to.

They are almost done with a unit that will be perfect for couples that share the same music as it will send music in stereo from one device to two helmets.

I have procrastinated on adding SR10 to my set up until last month. I had it, just not hooked up, was lazy. Now I listen to music in Stereo and hear my radar in mono.

and yes, I have them in stock.
Cougar8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_palmer22 View Post
go with the sena SMH10!
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #17
speedjunkie69

Well, I got the g9 today and had a chance to try it for a short ride. I'm impressed the wind noise is not noticeable at all and the overall quality of the speakers is quite good. In my case it's trial and error for the best placement of the speakers. I am not yet familiar with the unit but that is just a matter of time. So far so good!!

Last edited by speedjunkie69; 06-30-2012 at 07:26 AM.
speedjunkie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #18
Crispy
Spreading the love

We have a set of Q2s. Really handy for route planning (she usually knows where we're going... I tend to wander) and things like coordinating pit stops, road hazards and police sightings. I also like to let her know when I am going to pass so she can keep up and not get stuck a mile behind.
The ear phones are clear enough to be heard even with plugs (at reasonable speeds) and don't physically bother me at all.

Only downsides are that the mic foam touches my mouth if not positioned exactly right, and she has a very loud helmet that activates her mic at anything above 70mph or so.

I would consider the range "decent" in a straight line, but it craps out if there are any obstructions like hills or buildings.

So overall, yes I think they're worth it. Btw, we got our best deal on eBay. Tech support and replacement mic foam have come free from a local vendor after the fact, which is nice.

Don't Panic.
Crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #19
Indy

We took our first group ride today with our new G9 units. The clarity was great but I think we forgot to turn on the speed compensated volume. We'll hook them up to the computer tonight and finish setting them up.

The small mic of the G9 was much appreciated over the huge mic of the G4's we just replaced.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
kaosbandit
Kaosbandit

Me and a buddy got the Sena SMH10's and I couldn't be happier. I have mine linked to an iphone. We used it for bike to bike, music, and I have even taken a couple of calls.

I was skeptical about comms, because part of what I like about my bike is solitude, but I definitely like it and I would buy mine all over again.

"If you can't get hurt doing it, it probably ain't that fun"

02 jetted, Holeshot High Pipe, K&N Pods, Ignition Advancer, PS3 Electric Shifter, Galfer Lines, AIS Removal, ProTek Bones, Pilot Power 2CTs, OES Sliders, Stretch's BMW/CBR Shock, 4Lock iPhone dock and charger, GIVI screen, Corbin Gunfighter, Integrated Taillight, Throttlemeister, Ventura rack and bag, R1 Shift arm, ASV shorty levers, and a whole lotta love
kaosbandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear