open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 03-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #21
PWGUNNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
I'm really happy with my Bilt Storm (Hi-vis) that I picked up for $100 or $150 (vs. $250 MSRP) and I wear it on my DR or FZs.

It has a fleece liner and I can ride in 50F in a T-shirt and still sweat when standing still. Without the liner it's great wind protection in spring. When it gets warm, it has a bunch of zippered vents so I've worn it on cool morning and hot afternoons. It's just a little too much for the heat of summer, when I revert to mesh. It has a good amount of armor in shoulders and elbow, but I did put a forcefield back protector insert (from eBay) as the provided foam piece is pretty much useless (I have them in all my jackets..)

Oh, it's on sale now!

..a
Why are the 2 DUCs in the background sporting the blue painters tape? Is that chip protection from dirt roads?
PWGUNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #22
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Demo rides, to protect them from marks & scratches from people getting on and off or rubbing on the tank..
..a

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #23
Buckeye2wheeler

I had considered a flip up helmet, and tried on the neotec at the bike show. It felt great, like a Shoei does for me, and he gave me a price of $486 OTD. I almost bought it, that was before I heard about the Gt air. I have an x-11, so a neotec would be a good addition for the group rides. I still have an unfounded fear, that in the event of a crash, that it might pop up. I'm sure that they have tested that extensively though and it's not an issue.
Buckeye2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #24
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

I've been looking for a good dual sport jacket as well. My problem with fit is that I'm 6'2" but most of it is in my torso so most jackets/shirts are short on length for me. As such, I usually have to get a long size or a 3/4 length.
I was thinking of a Olympia Moab Air or Firstgear Jaunt T2. The Olympia looks like it would be cooler in the summer but it's hard to tell. Anyone have experience with either?

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Humble yourself, or life will do it for you.
Faa Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #25
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faa Q View Post
I've been looking for a good dual sport jacket as well. My problem with fit is that I'm 6'2" but most of it is in my torso so most jackets/shirts are short on length for me. As such, I usually have to get a long size or a 3/4 length.
I was thinking of a Olympia Moab Air or Firstgear Jaunt T2. The Olympia looks like it would be cooler in the summer but it's hard to tell. Anyone have experience with either?
Those are two different tier jackets. First gear is $179 and Oly Moab $319. If you have the budget the Moab is superior in features, materials and build quality. Since you mentioned both I am guessing you can afford either.

Check out the Nomad or X Moto line as well.

These are similar to the Moab but can completely seal up to solid shell for colder riding. Then vent back up for warmer riding and then full on chest/back/underarm mesh for those stupid hot Ohio summers.

My kit is the Nomad and X Moto pants and I couldn't be happier. I go from Cold weather to hot & back to cold on rides with ease. And its hard to match Olympia's build quality and use of genuine Cordura in the price line they offer. IMO the only competition is Rev-It and Klim and those price lines are a bit higher. If you have the budget check out some of their nice options.
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #26
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

I'd rather pay less than more and the vast majority of my riding will be warm weather. I actually have a decent cold weather TourMaster jacket for the road that would work well for DS'ing. I'm also looking now at the A* Cape Town jacket but I know their stuff tends to run a little small.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Humble yourself, or life will do it for you.
Faa Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #27
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faa Q View Post
I'd rather pay less than more and the vast majority of my riding will be warm weather. I actually have a decent cold weather TourMaster jacket for the road that would work well for DS'ing. I'm also looking now at the A* Cape Town jacket but I know their stuff tends to run a little small.
Then check out the Moab if you want a warm weather 3/4 length. The dual stage liner system really warms things up so it's a 3 season jacket. It sounds like you have something for the 4rth cold season.
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #28
thelongroad

Dual sport jacket

I own a Kawasaki KLR 650. You should check out the first gear kilamanjaro Jacket. its amazing, I ride year round ( rode in 6 inches of snow last year) and its amazing. warm in winter, take the liner out and cool in summer. and its waterproof. I've rode in some crazy rain. take a look
thelongroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #29
Mad German
Under construction...

Tour Master Transition II, perhaps? I really like mine.
Mad German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #30
Wonger

I really liked the First Gear Teton Jacket and whatever the corresponding pants are. The 3/4 version of that jacket should be really good as well.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #31
racergirl10

Klim say no more !!!
racergirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear