open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 03-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Thumbs up Shoei GT Air - really good lid

I finally bought myself a new helmet to replace my 11 year old X-11. The main feature I liked is the inner sun shield and it is totally awesome!! The fit seems similar to my X-11, but I'm not sure if the ventilation will be as good when it's really hot, we'll see.. Overall I am really happy with it, after riding about 400 miles in it this weekend! I highly recommend this lid for anyone looking for a new full-face helmet.
ZachD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
kjm

Just tried these on over the weekend and almost pulled the trigger. Thanks for the mini review.
kjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
jh4016

I need a new helmet this year, been eyeing these...
jh4016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

Congrats! I am a Shoei man and would LOVE to have that helmet. My RF1100 is still going strong so I can't justify that type of money when my current lid is still in top shape.

Enjoy it !!
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachD View Post
I finally bought myself a new helmet to replace my 11 year old X-11. The main feature I liked is the inner sun shield and it is totally awesome!! The fit seems similar to my X-11, but I'm not sure if the ventilation will be as good when it's really hot, we'll see.. Overall I am really happy with it, after riding about 400 miles in it this weekend! I highly recommend this lid for anyone looking for a new full-face helmet.
Is the x-11 really that old? I bought a Tamada replica a few years ago (Sportbike Track Gear had a killer sale) but I thought it was a fairly recent design. Also had a Rf1000... Shoei is good stuff. How much did you pay for your new lid?
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

After I bought a helmet last year with a drop down shield, I'll never go back to one without. This is the 21st century after all! Integrated bluetooth to boot. Now that Shoei has a drop down shield, I just had to try one on, which I did recently. Felt great. I can only guess the aerodynamics are excellent.

One thing though, besides the government required DOT cert, does it have anything else, such as Snell or ECE?
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

I wish someone would make a drop-down shield that actually drops all the way down, so you don't get light coming in from below..
..a

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Putzy

I have a Bell Star with photochromatic shield. I won't buy anything else that doesn't have a photochromatic shield again, unless it is really special. Love it. I also like it better than my RF-1100, not just because of the shield, but fit is better for me.

I like the drop down shield idea, but never found one that I liked. Either they don't drop low enough, optical quality is poor, or they fog up too easily, since much closer to face. I'll see if i can find this one to try it out.

2002 FZ1 - Penske shock, Traxxion resprung/revavled forks, Ivan jet kit & velocity stacks, K&N pod filters, Gen 2 bars, Rizoma Mirrors, Ebay levers.
2004 R1 - PCIII, DJ Quickshifter, Pazzo Levers, gutted cats, K&N filter.
2000 Suzuki DR650SE
Putzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #9
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Hey Zach, since you're on the cutting edge with that new Shoei, do you think you could maybe do a more in-depth review, throw in few pics? I know I'd like to get more first hand info from a fellow rider and not some marketing spew.

So, how about those aerodynamics and the ventilation you mentioned?

Most importantly.....how do YOU pronounce Shoei???

Thanks in advance.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:03 AM   #10
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Now that I've ridden another 500+ miles wearing my new GT Air I like it even more. It really cut's thru the wind nicely & I've tested this at some pretty high speeds, including some freeway riding in pretty windy conditions - no worries.

The inner sun visor is optically perfect & does not fog up. It does however leave a small gap at the bottom, which bugged me at first, but now I'm used to it. Also, I realized the gap allows much need airflow when it's hot out. It was nearly 80 in Malibu when I was riding on Sunday & the ventilation is pretty good after all. We'll see for sure this summer.

By the way, the black helmet is a super-shiny, gloss-black, even though the marketing pictures depict a more satin finish. I'll post some pictures of mine later. I paid $495 from Motorcycle-Superstore.

It is only DOT in the US, but since it's also sold in Europe it must meet their required safety standards. It seems the DOT rating is probably fine.

I hope I answered most of the questions below, if not let me know
Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
Is the x-11 really that old? I bought a Tamada replica a few years ago (Sportbike Track Gear had a killer sale) but I thought it was a fairly recent design. Also had a Rf1000... Shoei is good stuff. How much did you pay for your new lid?
I bought my X-11 in 2002, '03 at the latest..
Old 03-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #12
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Here are a few pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GT Air_1.jpg (47.2 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg GT Air_2.jpg (68.1 KB, 406 views)
Old 04-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

I fitted a GT Air at Iron Pony today. Darn nice helmet. That drop down shade is sweet and easy to operate.
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
Bopropucope

Thumbs up just watched the video

I might actually bite on this one. Features look fantastic. Any other review will be nice. Thanks to all.
Bruce
Bopropucope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Here is a picture of me riding with it with the sun visor down & it continues to impress me more every time I wear it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FZ_snake March 24 2013.jpg (65.2 KB, 373 views)
Old 04-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #16
buzzwells

Zach, does it "vent" as well as your X11?
Living in Central Florida I want something that flows air.
I currently wear an X11 and looking for something new w/o X12 $$$$
fwiw: have worn Shoei's since 1985
buzzwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #17
PWGUNNY

Very nice helmet. I wish I had the extra coin for one. I am very happy with my current SHOEI but it's about 12yrs old.
PWGUNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzwells View Post
Zach, does it "vent" as well as your X11?
Living in Central Florida I want something that flows air.
I currently wear an X11 and looking for something new w/o X12 $$$$
fwiw: have worn Shoei's since 1985
It flow nearly as much air as my X-11, but I haven't worn the GT Air in weather above 80 or so, yet. I do find if it's cool out & the top, front vent is fully open on the GT it's pretty cold...

I'll keep ya posted as I encounter warmer temps...

I too have exclusively worn Shoei's on the street for nearly 20 years
Old 04-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #19
jh4016

The only thing I find strange is that this helmet is only DOT. I was suprised to not see Snell or ECE
jh4016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #20
kjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh4016 View Post
The only thing I find strange is that this helmet is only DOT. I was suprised to not see Snell or ECE
It's a sport touring helmet, more towards the touring with the drop down visor. Dot only means you can't track the helmet where I am from, but I would reach for my old rf1000 for the track if I decide to grab a gt air.

Sure Shoei just didn't want to spend the extra certification expenses for something most people who buy this lid will never use.
kjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear