open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 09-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Cruzman
ATGATT It's the only way 2 fly

Road ID

Ok so I don't know about all of you, but having my information on me when I ride is something I have always done. I have my info attached to my tank bag on my bike. I carry info in my wallet, but recently I invested in a road ID bracelet.

They have several different styles including one that is like a rubber wrist strap that has a buckle like a high end wrist watch. I spent my first full day on the bike with it this past weekend and never noticed it was there. I was riding alone and the fact that my info was with me gave me some piece of mind.

Here is a link if you want to look at them. This link if you purchase adds $10.00 to my road ID account. That I can used to buy more color bands, or in the future make updates to my information. But feel free to go to them directly if you like. http://roadid.com/invite/46YK4

Let me know what you think of these too. I am thinking I will probably get my son one too, since he is starting to drive.

2001 FZ1000 "Stella" Re-jeted, AIS eliminated, 07 R1 Fork Swap with BrianG stem and AK20s, mini led turn signals, K&N filter, R6 rear shock conversion,Gauge of Eternal Coolness, 4 degree advancer mod, SS Brake-Lines
DanMoto Rearsets, Akrapovic slip-on [/color]
2014 BMW S1000R "Trixie"
Cruzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
walter

I'm a bicyclist first and a motorcyclist second, I've been wearing my road id for about 3 years now. I have the basic one with the velcro strap, has all my important info on it, once it softens up a bit you don't even know its there. I wear it all the time, quality product.
walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
devo55

I now wear a medical flash drive on a chain around my neck. If responders read it, it should tell them about everything they need to know about me to begin treatment. In the past, I had a laminated card with some information on it and kept it in my jacket pocket.

But doing something like this is a good idea.
devo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
t84a
Real Bikers Pedal

I have Road Id on my cycling shoe. For motorcycling, I have my drivers license on me and the registration on the bike.

JOIN THE AMA
Helmet Fact
My local powder coater
t84a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
Wlfman
Just another Slow Poke

Yep, I've had one for a couple of years now.

They also have an iPhone app. http://www.roadid.com/ecrumbs

"I ride not to add days to my life, but to add LIFE to my days."

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
OldBiker

Also remember to save your emergency contact person as ICE on your cell phone. First responders check for that too.
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:46 AM   #7
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Thanks!
A buddy of mine is a cyclist and goes to church with a lady who is somehow involved with the company (I forget the connection). Anyway, she hooked him up with a free one and he's worn it for a few years and he really likes it a lot. It looks nice too.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Humble yourself, or life will do it for you.
Faa Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
Wlfman
Just another Slow Poke

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBiker View Post
Also remember to save your emergency contact person as ICE on your cell phone. First responders check for that too.
This has been thrown around the internet so much it has become "fact". When in all actuality EMS/EMT responders do NOT check your phone or wallets for ANYTHING. All they look for are the MEDICAL bracelets/necklaces. They don't have time to be rummaging thru phones and wallets. This has been brought up in numerous forums I'm on and in every one of them EMS/EMT people ALL chime in and say they do NOT look in phones and wallets.

Not to mention the fact that most people have their phones LOCKED which means no one is seeing anything in the phone anyway.

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Old 09-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
Keytickler
Causative Factor

I was thinking about the ICE on the phone thing yesterday. Now without a password, it is not possible (I don't think) for a stranger, first responder, etc. to get into the contacts list on my phone to find this info. Am I wrong?

Keytickler
Old 09-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
t84a
Real Bikers Pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
This has been thrown around the internet so much it has become "fact". When in all actuality EMS/EMT responders do NOT check your phone or wallets for ANYTHING. All they look for are the MEDICAL bracelets/necklaces. They don't have time to be rummaging thru phones and wallets. This has been brought up in numerous forums I'm on and in every one of them EMS/EMT people ALL chime in and say they do NOT look in phones and wallets.

Not to mention the fact that most people have their phones LOCKED which means no one is seeing anything in the phone anyway.
If they are looking to identify you, you can bet they will check wallets and cell phones.

JOIN THE AMA
Helmet Fact
My local powder coater
Old 09-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
Wlfman
Just another Slow Poke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keytickler View Post
I was thinking about the ICE on the phone thing yesterday. Now without a password, it is not possible (I don't think) for a stranger, first responder, etc. to get into the contacts list on my phone to find this info. Am I wrong?

Keytickler
Nope you are correct, if your phone has a passcode/word no one can see your contacts.

And as I said above EMT/EMS are not even going to look at your phone/wallet anyway. When you get to a hospital and things are under more control someone there will start looking for emergency contact info. But if your phone is locked it doesn't matter if every single contact in it has ICE before it, because no one can see them. Best is to have emergency contact info on a card behind your ID/insurance card.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
Wlfman
Just another Slow Poke

Quote:
Originally Posted by t84a View Post
If they are looking to identify you, you can bet they will check wallets and cell phones.
EMS/EMT don't care about Identifying you. All they care about is stabilizing you. And that is straight from the horses mouth (NUMEROUS EMT/EMS people have all said this in numerous threads on numerous forums). If you don't believe me, give your local FD/EMS/EMT dept a call and ask them.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
rmzalbar

Quote:
EMS/EMT don't care about Identifying you. All they care about is stabilizing you. And that is straight from the horses mouth (NUMEROUS EMT/EMS people have all said this in numerous threads on numerous forums). If you don't believe me, give your local FD/EMS/EMT dept a call and ask them.
Yup, there were few instances when I was working where we would need to look for identification. In the case of a conscious minor with non life threatening emergencies, we'd try to have someone reach guardians for decision making, but in that case we can talk to the kid directly.

Still, they might look at your phone at the hospital if you're still unresponsive. Typically they've already linked you up with your medical records and have contacted your ICE people on file there.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
OldBiker

Quote:
Yes, I'm a holdover from days ago.

Agreed that EMTs first job is to stabilize and treat. I was referring to the hospital staff if you are unconscious for them to notify someone.

I never password my phone so I didn't think that many do.

The best is a Med-Alert bracelet or tag especially if you have a condition or allergy they need to know about.
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
PFG
Like that when I found it

As previously stated if you're unresponsive EMT's won't be checking your phone, what ever info they need will be to be very clearly available. I still wear a dog tag. Here is a snapshot of the sheet my department uses. I don't often go on group rides, but when I do I try to hand these out so people call fill them out and keep them somewhere handy. Obviously "complaint" and your vitals will be filled in in the event of a mishap, but the rest is the most useful information in the first 30 minutes. For Allergies, I don't care much about food allergies. I won't be treating you with a lobster. But if it's all you have, write it down. Like wise, for medicine put actual medicine you take every day. If you take ibuprofen "once in awhile" it's not a concern.

Last edited by PFG; 09-28-2013 at 09:19 AM.
PFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #16
t84a
Real Bikers Pedal

You guys are taking it a bit far. They won't be looking at Road Ids on your shoes either on first response.

JOIN THE AMA
Helmet Fact
My local powder coater
Old 09-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
thepopularjock
Sometimes I "Drunk Post" :)

This is a really good idea. Thanks for posting.

I think you guys are correct - EMS will only try to keep you stable.

Does anyone know what hospitals do once you are in their care?

IDK if they will search your phone but I can see the hospital staff searching your bill fold/ purse for some ID/emergency info.

.../...
thepopularjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #18
PFG
Like that when I found it

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepopularjock View Post
This is a really good idea. Thanks for posting.

I think you guys are correct - EMS will only try to keep you stable.

Does anyone know what hospitals do once you are in their care?

IDK if they will search your phone but I can see the hospital staff searching your bill fold/ purse for some ID/emergency info.
Paramedics will look for obvious ID, quickly check your pockets and look for a wallet. If you had something on your shoe, it had better be very obvious or it will likely get missed in a rapid assessment.

Hospitals will check all your belongs for some information, but all your belongings may not get to the hospital with you if your info is in your tankbag or on a boot lace that got removed at the scene. Your helmet should always be transported with you, but I have seen agencies that don't know that, or miss it.

On scene we'll try to look for clues, but things can get hectic. There always seems to be one ricky rescue bystander first on scene with trauma shears and an itch to use them, try to think of something that will really stand out as important so they don't lop it off.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #19
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

What ever method you use, make sure it's cut proof. Them EMS peeps LOVE their scissors! The more they can cut, the better. I'm pretty sure they can cut through an inch of steel with them without breaking a sweat! After my last motorcycle accident, I woke up in the ER buck naked (under a sheet of course) and wondered "Where the hell are all my clothes?" Yea, they cut everything. Fortunately, I had removed my helmet and jacket on my own, so those didn't get cut.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #20
Cruzman
ATGATT It's the only way 2 fly

Ok so as a back up, I am now considering having my information tattooed to my torso.
I don't ride alone very often, but when I do I figure every little bit helps.

2001 FZ1000 "Stella" Re-jeted, AIS eliminated, 07 R1 Fork Swap with BrianG stem and AK20s, mini led turn signals, K&N filter, R6 rear shock conversion,Gauge of Eternal Coolness, 4 degree advancer mod, SS Brake-Lines
DanMoto Rearsets, Akrapovic slip-on [/color]
2014 BMW S1000R "Trixie"
Cruzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear