open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 10-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
kaosbandit
Kaosbandit

ATGATT Saved My Bacon

I am starting a gear review section on my blog. Here's the first post and I will have in depth reviews coming.

http://www.spiritstrike.com/gear/201...saved-my-bacon

"If you can't get hurt doing it, it probably ain't that fun"

02 jetted, Holeshot High Pipe, K&N Pods, Ignition Advancer, PS3 Electric Shifter, Galfer Lines, AIS Removal, ProTek Bones, Pilot Power 2CTs, OES Sliders, Stretch's BMW/CBR Shock, 4Lock iPhone dock and charger, GIVI screen, Corbin Gunfighter, Integrated Taillight, Throttlemeister, Ventura rack and bag, R1 Shift arm, ASV shorty levers, and a whole lotta love
kaosbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Sammax
Rest in peace Donnie

Whoa!

(I'm sending you a PM about an unrelated topic)
Inventory;
- 02 FZ1 (Gen 1),
- 05 Yamaha WR450
- 06 Yamaha TTR50
- 06 Kawasaki KLX 125
Sammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
SyCkSyDe

This is the very reason we stress 'suiting up' at work so much to customers. It doesn't take much, and it can happen very quick. I applaud you for the ATGATT style of thinking, AND your respect for free will.

Very glad to see you came out with minimal damage. I remember the days of throwing my legs over R1s, R6s, sport bikes in general with a helmet, t-shirt and shorts. I'll be first to admit, I was one of those guys.

I've gotten so accustom to wearing gear, that if I leave without it. I feel naked.

Take the extra few minutes to adequately protect yourself folks!

Your thread reminds me of a best friends report after a rather uneasy ride.

(No attempt at thread hijacking!)

http://www.mikef5000.com/2013-ride-and-crash.html

Once again, glad to hear the gear did as it should! Even more happy to hear about your relatively unscathed outcome!
SyCkSyDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Cougar
Nerd Herder

I'm glad that you were wearing your gear and had minimal injuries. I have crash tested the Cortech/Tourmaster Flex and Piuma Jackets as well as their Flex and Caliber pants. I was also wearing Sidi boots. Although I had broken bones in both crashes, I did not have any road rash. And if I had not been wearing a helmet either time I would not be writing this right now.

ATGATT!!!
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
motomania

When I was cutoff in traffic on 9/23/13 I was wearing my normal warm weather gear: helmet, armored mesh jacket, Helimot gloves, Daytona boots and armored mesh pants.

I impacted the ground hard on my right shoulder and the right side of my helmet. Pulled muscles in my neck and shoulder and partial tear to the cartilage that connects my right collar bone to my sternum but no roadrash and minimal bruising. shoulder pad was ripped out of the jacket. Gloves stayed intact. Knees were badly bruised but no roadrash there either thanks to the pads in my armored pants.

I did suffer a broken left wrist but I don't think any gear would have prevented that.
2014 FZ-09: Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske rear shock, R1/R6 MC, SSL lines, custom tail, raised Sargeant seat, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, ECU reflashed by Ivan, custom tank protectors, new mirrors with turnsignals built-in, ErMax 25cm flyscreen and ErMax radiator shrouds.
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=130119
motomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Waltermydoinhere

Excellent write-up!! Glad to hear you were only minimally scathed. (Thanks to your gear!) Amazing that all that damage to the gear happened in an "only" 20mph crash.

As a former racer/crasher, I've gone down at speed (fastest was about 95mph). I had on all the gear that racers in the mid-80's wore. No broken bones, only minor scrapes on wrist bone and chest where inside of zipper was rubbed against it. The amazing part is how long the 'slide' seemed to last. I can still remember thinking I was done sliding...or at least slow enough to get up. When I tried sitting up, it created a pivot point, flipping me at the end of my slide. Through all of this, almost no damage to me except where my hands got smashed against the tank by the bars as they did the tank-slapper, right before pitching me off.

The point is, ATGATT works. Live it!
Waltermydoinhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
mhoistion23

The only thing I was missing from my whole outfit was pants. I would wear armored shorts under jeans but never really had any knee protection. So I bought a pair of armored mesh pants. Definitely feel safer with the pants. Plus I look pimpin all suited up

I love it when people make fun of me and crack jokes about wearing gear. They always say that people look stupid wearing all that gear. Well I promise you that when your face slams.into the ground, the last thing the paramedics are going to say as they are peeling your face off the pavement is "at least he doesn't look stupid".

ATGATT!!!!
mhoistion23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
grommet
kinetic mentality

Every time.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #9
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

I am here today because my helmet saved my life. I survived a highside that resulted in me going face first into the pavement then sliding headfirst into the curb. I ended up with a mild concussion and a three hour gap in my memory, but I'll take that over a casket any day!

Yea, I'm a firm believer in ATGATT!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
kaosbandit
Kaosbandit

I love all the crash stories that end well. Makes me feel better about riding

02 jetted, Holeshot High Pipe, K&N Pods, Ignition Advancer, PS3 Electric Shifter, Galfer Lines, AIS Removal, ProTek Bones, Pilot Power 2CTs, OES Sliders, Stretch's BMW/CBR Shock, 4Lock iPhone dock and charger, GIVI screen, Corbin Gunfighter, Integrated Taillight, Throttlemeister, Ventura rack and bag, R1 Shift arm, ASV shorty levers, and a whole lotta love
Old 11-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
motomania

I think the moral of the story on gear is:

Accidents are NOT planned, therefore you need to be prepared (i.e., dressed) to hit the ground any time and every time you ride your bike.

The day I had my accident in September I saw a guy on the freeway wearing only t-shirt, sneakers, jeans and a helmet.

Sure it was a warm day but if I was dressed that way when I had my accident, my injuries would have been many times worse. I suspect my shoulder would be broken, badly, and both knees would be scuffed and beaten badly. PLUS all the roadrash...
2014 FZ-09: Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske rear shock, R1/R6 MC, SSL lines, custom tail, raised Sargeant seat, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, ECU reflashed by Ivan, custom tank protectors, new mirrors with turnsignals built-in, ErMax 25cm flyscreen and ErMax radiator shrouds.
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=130119
motomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
terdog
RIDE OR DIE

Quote:
I love it when people make fun of me and crack jokes about wearing gear.
"Isnt it hot wearin all that?"

"Id rather sweat than bleed." is what I tell them.
terdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
mhoistion23

Quote:
Originally Posted by terdog View Post

Sweat wipes off but road rash doesn't
mhoistion23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by terdog View Post

When they say "you must be hot in all of that gear", I say "why, thank you"...
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #15
kaosbandit
Kaosbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
When they say "you must be hot in all of that gear", I say "why, thank you"...
Haha! I will have to remember that.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
mdouglas71

I love when people look at me like wearing extra gear is a problem. Especially in the summertime months... People tend to look at you like you're insane when you're fully geared out.
That's when theres the most chance for shit happening..
mdouglas71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #17
kaosbandit
Kaosbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdouglas71 View Post
I love when people look at me like wearing extra gear is a problem. Especially in the summertime months... People tend to look at you like you're insane when you're fully geared out.
That's when theres the most chance for shit happening..
I know when I was a kid learning to ride back in the day I would wonder how people could stand to wear all that in the heat, but now that I am the guy wearing all that in the heat I know that it really isn't that bad. It doesn't make sense, but its true.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
Sammax
Rest in peace Donnie

Great feeling to get air moving on you again and to hit you after being stopped a few minutes when it's 95F outside and the suns beating on you. Feels like A/C, LOL.
Inventory;
- 02 FZ1 (Gen 1),
- 05 Yamaha WR450
- 06 Yamaha TTR50
- 06 Kawasaki KLX 125
Sammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #19
brassticles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammax View Post
Great feeling to get air moving on you again and to hit you after being stopped a few minutes when it's 95F outside and the suns beating on you. Feels like A/C, LOL.
Ain't that the truth. Stop lights are like hell in the summer..
brassticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #20
Waltermydoinhere

Living in Arizona...a summer ride/commute can be an experience. I typically pour a cup of water into my helmet, put a soaking wet t-shirt on, then my jacket etc... By the time I get to work (21.49 miles) It'll be dry. When it's 110+ outside, it's like riding in a blast oven, but those wet parts make it pretty cool for the first 15 miles or so.
Waltermydoinhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear