open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 12-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

Held USA closing

A buddy sent in a pair of Held gloves for repair. He received them back...unrepaired, along with a letter stating heldusa will be closing its doors as of december 20.

Here is a link to their site. http://www.heldusa.com/
"Closed for maintenance"

Shame. I love my Held gloves.
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Sammax
Rest in peace Donnie

Damn! I don't have any of their gear but I have been contemplating some gloves. Hard to believe since all I have ever heard is good stuff about their products.
Inventory;
- 02 FZ1 (Gen 1),
- 05 Yamaha WR450
- 06 Yamaha TTR50
- 06 Kawasaki KLX 125
Sammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
motomania

I liked Held stuff until they were acquired by the current owners back in the early 90s. Their product quality (materials, assembly methods, etc.) and design went down a lot.

They made some progress in recent years but still is no where near the quality of the Held products circa 1990.

I buy my gloves from the previous Held glove designer, Helmut of www.heliomot.com so I am admittedly biased in my viewpoint.

Helmut's gloves are many times better than even the best Held gloves.

If you know what you are looking at, you can quickly separate the pretenders (most glove manufacturers) from the real protective glove designs.

Racer gloves are also highly touted but I find them to be lacking compared to Helmut's designs as well.

Pretty much everything else out there is junk if you are looking for real protective gloves that last and will protect you in a real crash and not just come apart when you need them most.
2014 FZ-09: Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske rear shock, R1/R6 MC, SSL lines, custom tail, raised Sargeant seat, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, ECU reflashed by Ivan, custom tank protectors, new mirrors with turnsignals built-in, ErMax 25cm flyscreen and ErMax radiator shrouds.
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=130119
motomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Uncle Alpo
Is that a cow?

That's a shame. Held gloves have saved my hands a couple of times.
Uncle Alpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
rswebscan
Nada Como El Sol

So the hairy palms had nuttin to do with it?
Old 12-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
Uncle Alpo
Is that a cow?

Hairy palms kept the gloves on, but that's a story for another time.
Uncle Alpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

I find it hilarious that you can't have a thread about Held without some Helimot fanboys feeling they must make bullshit statements about Held.

Helimot makes great stuff.

Held still makes great stuff.

But, sure, they also make some low-end junk. I experience the same issue with retailers in just about everything. I've never sent in any for repair even the ones that have been crash-tested on street and track. I wonder what this means for distribution in the USA. I don't want to have to go to Sonthofen Germany for my next pair like I did this last time
Old 12-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
motomania

I will climb up on my soapbox a bit about gloves because they are important safety equipment.

The whole reason I wear gloves is to protect my hands when I need them to do so. If they can't do that job very well, why bother buying/wearing them?

Most riders do not buy gloves out of real knowledge. They buy them because the feature set grabbed their attention but they overlook the flaws, mostly because they do not understand the product and how the flaws can hurt them.

I have yet to see any glove other than Helimot's that does not have at least one of the following. Most of these same issues apply to leather suits as well.

1) crappy quality materials (most gloves) - low grade and/or too thin leather being the worst issue as that will rip at the slightest force or rot almost immediately due to the sweat in your palms. There are other issues as well like crappy die that die your hands the color of your gloves the first time you get the gloves really wet and your palms most of the time when your palms sweat.

2) exposed seams that will fail as soon as the glove touches pavement leaving your bare hand exposed to pavement. Look at your current glove, if there is any thread showing that can hit the pavement in any angle that your hand can, then that seam will immediately rip open and fail on contact with the pavement.

Most manufactures that bother with this issue will claim they are using kevlar thread to prevent seam failure. Most of the kevlar thread claims are bogus but if they really cared, why not use kevlar thread AND move the seams to locations that won't fail on contact with pavement.

3) little or no heat protection - even if the leather and seams don't fail, leather heats up fast as it slides and will burn and blister your skin underneath. How many gloves have you seen with actual heat insulation and reinforcing to the rivets so that the rivets don't brand your hands as you slide down the road.

4) unreinforced rivets so that the rivets rip out of the glove as you slide down the road because the only thing holding the rivets in are 2 relatively thin layers of leather, and once ripped away expose your bare palm to the pavement.

5) poor fit overall - if the glove twists or shifts on your hand too much or comes off when you hit the pavement, most of its protection becomes misplaced and mostly useless.

6) Poorly located and/or shaped impact absorbing materials and/or palm rivets. Not that long ago some guy tried to sell me some highly touted gloves with carbon fiber knuckles that had one thin layer of leather between the back of my hand and the carbon fiber knuckles - one relatively minor impact to the back of my hand would drive the edges of the "knuckle guard" into the back of my hand like a cookie cutter. That is just one example but there are countless others.

7) Buckles and snaps that can become sharp edges when twisted as the glove slides along the pavement and the sharp edges cut the glove and/or your skin underneath the glove.

These are just a few of the things I use to evaluate gloves and as I said before, almost every other glove fails one or more of the above.

I have lots of scars on my hands from inferior glove designs from 20+ years ago when I wore other brands. Amazingly many of those same brands with the same design flaws are still out there.

I can only chalk it up to uninformed consumers or their products would be rotting on the shelves.
2014 FZ-09: Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske rear shock, R1/R6 MC, SSL lines, custom tail, raised Sargeant seat, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, ECU reflashed by Ivan, custom tank protectors, new mirrors with turnsignals built-in, ErMax 25cm flyscreen and ErMax radiator shrouds.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
NHFZ1
Marco Polo wanna be

According to a press release put out by Held USA, Held Germany is going to have a new rep. The story can be found at Roadracingworld.com

I love my Held Akira gloves.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
Sammax
Rest in peace Donnie

Thanks. Not much of an article huh? More like a farewell note.
Inventory;
- 02 FZ1 (Gen 1),
- 05 Yamaha WR450
- 06 Yamaha TTR50
- 06 Kawasaki KLX 125
Sammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
UnionRep

I don't think Helimot makes a waterproof glove with hard knuckles. If thewy do, I'll buy. I have had issues with Held quality and customer support.
UnionRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
motomania

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionRep View Post
I don't think Helimot makes a waterproof glove with hard knuckles. If thewy do, I'll buy. I have had issues with Held quality and customer support.
Don't know anyone that makes real waterproof glove.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #13
gixxerjasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania View Post
I buy my gloves from the previous Held glove designer, Helmut of www.heliomot.com so I am admittedly biased in my viewpoint.
Those who stand on soap boxes should spell websites correctly.

www.helimot.com

That is all.
Past Bikes: 1997 Katana 600-wrecked | 2000 CBR600F4-Stolen | 2001 GSX-R600-Stolen | 1989 Honda CB1-Sold | 2001 Suzuki TL1000R-Traded | 1992 Suzuki Bandit 400-Sold | 2004 Suzuki GSX-R600-Sold | 2007 DR-Z400SM-Traded | 2003 Yamaha FZ1 I-Wrecked | 2003 Yamaha FZ1 II-Sold |

gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
Desmo
Hello ladies...

he - Helmut
li - Linda
Mot - motorcycle.

he-li-mot
Old 12-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
QuietRider
Officer it won't go that fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania View Post
Helmut's gloves are many times better than even the best Held gloves.
I must disagree. I have owned about 6 pairs of Helimot gloves including 4 pairs of the street riding model (Buffalo model as I recall). All of the street gloves actually wore through in the palm and fingers in about a year of riding. Helmut repaired a couple of them for free and gave me discounts on replacing a couple of them. He told me the cause might be from sweat and I should wash the gloves often to prevent it. I did this but it was of little help.
A bit more than a year ago I bought a high end pair of Held gloves and they are still in very good condition after something like 25,000 miles of riding.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

If only us uninformed guys weren't such posers
Old 12-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
Raven7
In search of Performance

Check out RS Taichi they make great stuff
Old 12-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #18
motomania

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietRider View Post
I must disagree. I have owned about 6 pairs of Helimot gloves including 4 pairs of the street riding model (Buffalo model as I recall). All of the street gloves actually wore through in the palm and fingers in about a year of riding. Helmut repaired a couple of them for free and gave me discounts on replacing a couple of them. He told me the cause might be from sweat and I should wash the gloves often to prevent it. I did this but it was of little help.
A bit more than a year ago I bought a high end pair of Held gloves and they are still in very good condition after something like 25,000 miles of riding.
Interesting. I not had helmuts gloves fail that way and I soaked mine in sweat many times. Maybe there is a reaction between your sweat and the tanning process used.

Years ago I had a very expensive glove just for off my hands in only a couple of race weekends...
Old 12-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #19
buzzwells

now on closeout with Motorcycle gear

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...m_medium=email

Held USA Quits Business Liquidation Sale

Held gloves (and other apparel products) are made by Held GmbH in Germany and have been distributed in the US for the last 10 years or so by Held USA, which is a small "mom and pop" out of North Carolina. In mid-December, Held USA announced they were quitting business. And at that time, we bought their remaining inventory of Held gloves in the US as a closeout/liquidation. There has not yet been a new distributor established and therefore no more stock is currently available (other than the gloves in our stock and the gloves that other retailers may have in their own stock).

We are hoping for the announcement of a new US distributor because we think Held gloves are a fine product, our customers enjoy them and we experience very few warranty issues.

Since there is currently no US distributor to inspect and repair/replace gloves as a result of a warranty claim, there is no way for consumers to exercise a warranty claim. We will of course still accept returns of new/unused gloves within 30 days of your order (just like any other product), but we will not offer any warranty whatsoever on any glove that has been used or not returned during that time frame. We are hopeful a new distributor will be announced and they will provide normal warranty coverage, but right now, we can't tell you when or if that will happen.
buzzwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #20
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

I love my Held Steves. Great gloves.

Additionally, my Held Airstreams are the only summer glove I could find that moved air and provided a respectable amount of protection.
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear