open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 01-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
Sammax
Rest in peace Donnie

Gerbing Heated Gloves and Jacket Liner

I bought a used pair of gloves and jacket liner of ADV Rider from 2 different people. Seems there is the new microwire and the pre-microwire stuff.

I don't know anything about the heated gear so I thought I would start a thread to talk about it. Search is not my friend. I mean,... what else we got to do, right?

I was wondering if anyone knew if the connections are different from the old Gerbing stuff to new stuff. I don't have all the gear yet but the pictures it looks like the connectors are the same. I think I'm gonna need a controller for the temp cause as it stands I'm only getting an on/off switch.
Inventory;
- 02 FZ1 (Gen 1),
- 05 Yamaha WR450
- 06 Yamaha TTR50
- 06 Kawasaki KLX 125
Sammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
cohl

Sammax,

I have an original wire Gerbing jacket with SAE connectors (first jacket), an original wire jacket with coax connectors (second jacket), and a Micro wire with coax connectors (third jacket). They all work great, but the micro wire seems to heat up quicker than the original wire type.

With my first jacket, I used Gerbing's on/off switch and no controller. I never hooked up any gloves with this jacket, but there's only one power input. So I assume the gloves are powered by the same input.

With my other two jackets, there's two separate power inputs. One for the jacket and the other for the gloves.

The two power inputs on my third jacket are a small plastic block compared to two separate wires on my second jacket. The plastic block is more compact, but the separate wires are easy enough to use.

With my second jacket I bought a variable controller. It was more convenient than the on/off switch. I could put heat on low or whatever temp I needed and just ride. With the on/off switch I would ride with the jacket on until I got too hot and then turn off until I was chilled again. On very cold days (below 40), I rarely turned the jacket off.

With my last jacket, I finally got a paired of heated gloves. Two controllers seemed to awkward, so I bought a dual controller. It's a single unit with one power input and two outputs. Now I can have different heat settings for the jacket and gloves.

Because I use a Battery Tender on my bike, I have a SAE power lead connected to the battery. I use a SAE to coax adapter to connect to my jacket. I bought the adapter here;

http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-prod...-cables/PWRCBL

This is the actual connector I use

http://www.powerlet.com/product/coax...o-sae-cable/54

Make sure you get a Gerbing power lead, whether SAE or coax. The SAE power lead looks just like a Battery Tender lead, but Gerbing leads are made with heavier gage wire and rated for a 20A fuse. Battery Tender power leads are rated for 7.5A.

Last edited by cohl; 01-18-2014 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling errors
cohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
davidji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammax View Post
I think I'm gonna need a controller for the temp cause as it stands I'm only getting an on/off switch.
I sure need a controller. I think Gerbings liners come in 65W and 90W. I have a 65W liner and don't run it on high unless it's pretty cold.

Dual controller FTW. I usually have the gloves on high and jacket on low, but it varies.

Gerbings has excellent customer service. Wish I didn't have as much reason to know as I do. I have a made-in-China microwire liner, and Gerbings repaired it twice in the 1st two years. I think it's got an intermittent fault right now, but I haven't done any testing.

I've read that they've moved production back to the USA and the quality is better. Anyway the electrical bits have a lifetime warranty.

Good luck with your heated stuff.

Last edited by davidji; 01-18-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: fixed typo
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
fzwilly

I have the G3 microwire stuff and used for 3 seasons and have had them repaired 2 times. I am very gentle when disconnecting gloves from jacket liner and controller from jacket liner but still had issues. They warranty electrical for life, not sure if u get warranty buying second hand. Just got my stuff back actually for their second repair on Thursday. Wouldn't buy anything else due to the lifetime warranty.

06 FZ1
07 Tuono factory
fzwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
Sammax
Rest in peace Donnie

If I have any issues I'm gone pretend I am the original owner. I think I saw a review on Revzilla dates 2011 that said it was made in the USA. The way he said it made it seem that it wasn't always here.

I got a feeling if this used stuff works I will spring for a dual controller so I can regulate the heat separately between gloves and jacket liner.

Kinda discouraging though with the amount of problems you guys have had. Thanks for the info, it's all helpful and better reading here than hanging pictures for the wife today. Geez!!!
Inventory;
- 02 FZ1 (Gen 1),
- 05 Yamaha WR450
- 06 Yamaha TTR50
- 06 Kawasaki KLX 125
Old 01-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
fzwilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammax View Post
If I have any issues I'm gone pretend I am the original owner. I think I saw a review on Revzilla dates 2011 that said it was made in the USA. The way he said it made it seem that it was.n't always here.

I got a feeling if this used stuff works I will spring for a dual controller so I can regulate the heat separately between gloves and jacket liner.

Kinda discouraging though with the amount of problems you guys have had. Thanks for the info, it's all helpful and better reading here than hanging pictures for the wife today. Geez!!!

A duel controller is a must. I usually have gloves on high and jacket liner on 1/3 to 1/2 otherwise ur core will get too warm.

06 FZ1
07 Tuono factory
Old 01-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
cohl

Last year, someone posted that certain Gerbing models were recalled. There was a tag on the jacket that identified if your jacket was effected. My Mircowire was one of those numbers. I contacted Gerbing, they sent me a RO # and I sent it in. It was checked and returned very quickly. They never asked about proof of purchase.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
jredford
Musical Metal

Jacket + gloves + dual controller = bliss.

Very customer centric company.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #9
Sammax
Rest in peace Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredford View Post
Jacket + gloves + dual controller = bliss.

Very customer centric company.
I didn't realize you are in Houston. Send Steve back, damnit!
Inventory;
- 02 FZ1 (Gen 1),
- 05 Yamaha WR450
- 06 Yamaha TTR50
- 06 Kawasaki KLX 125
Old 01-19-2014, 07:00 AM   #10
jredford
Musical Metal

Hahaha yah he lives a bit north of me. Seems like he moves a lot.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #11
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

I have Gerbings jacket liner, T5 gloves and socks. Dual controller is the only way to go. Socks and gloves are on same circuit. I can't ride with out heated gear when it's under 55 degrees. We all have our own tolerance level. If anyone gets cold feet I'll tell you the socks are awesome!

I added a switch to my right low beam to save power and switched to LED turn signals and tail. Running those 3 heated items things really pushes the power limit. I use the volt meter on my Beltronics GX65 detector to determine needed power adjustments. I like to keep 13 volts but will let it slip to 12.8 if I'm really cold.
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #12
Sammax
Rest in peace Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFZ1 View Post
I can't ride with out heated gear when it's under 55 degrees.

I'm sorry, I had to do that.

On the other hand I bet if I had it, it would be hooked up and running. Maybe in the 30's and definitely below that.
Inventory;
- 02 FZ1 (Gen 1),
- 05 Yamaha WR450
- 06 Yamaha TTR50
- 06 Kawasaki KLX 125
Old 01-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #13
davidji

Quote:
I can't ride with out heated gear when it's under 55 degrees.
It sounds funny, but I get it.

I didn't use heated gear until I was moto commuting. I've had heated grips on most of my bikes, and I could bundle up enough to stay mostly warm when traveling/touring.

Bundling up and changing layers isn't ideal commuting. And I do that a lot more than I ever did the other stuff. It sure is nice to be comfortable.

Though I had no heat to my gloves this morning, temps in the high 30s, so the comfort isn't guaranteed.

My other bike has hand guards, and I slipped my rarely-used bar muffs over them when I got home tonight. So I'll ride that tomorrow. I could use my long Y-cable to power my gloves instead, but I think the bar muffs will be less annoying than running the y-cable up my sleeves--and hoping one end hasn't retracted before I depart.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #14
packnrat

Smile

pre heated gear. i looked more like the doughboy than a rider.
but that was down to 10F.

not been out in that cold yet with heated gear. but never am i going back. even on a FZ1's low power out put, heated gear all the way.
but for now just a vest liner and gloves,

note to others : get the jacket liner not the vest liner. your arms get cold.
al lest mine do as i only have a fair weather leather suit to use.

but light liner clothing under the vest. then my leather suit on over all. i do stay warm. just a chill on my arms.
the heated gloves keeps the fingers working good. (aurtherites).

and yes duel temp controller.
plenty of heat off the motor...for now.

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #15
Sammax
Rest in peace Donnie

I found a used jacket liner on ADV forum and bought it. My arms are a weak point to cold. I never saw the point in any kinda vest except for fashion. Or seems they are more popular other places than the South, maybe for skiing or something.
Inventory;
- 02 FZ1 (Gen 1),
- 05 Yamaha WR450
- 06 Yamaha TTR50
- 06 Kawasaki KLX 125
Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #16
fzwilly

Quote:
I have Gerbings jacket liner, T5 gloves and socks. Dual controller is the only way to go. Socks and gloves are on same circuit. I can't ride with out heated gear when it's under 55 degrees. We all have our own tolerance level. If anyone gets cold feet I'll tell you the socks are awesome!

I added a switch to my right low beam to save power and switched to LED turn signals and tail. Running those 3 heated items things really pushes the power limit. I use the volt meter on my Beltronics GX65 detector to determine needed power adjustments. I like to keep 13 volts but will let it slip to 12.8 if I'm really cold.
People i have talked to that have used the socks hated them. Didn't like the feeling of the wires. I have the boot insoles and u feel no wires at all, they are great. I can't use them on high like my gloves so they are on the gerbings rocker switch, 30 min. on then they are getting to hot and 30 min. off.

06 FZ1
07 Tuono factory
Old 01-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #17
Sammax
Rest in peace Donnie

Well got all the goods and hooked up the power leads and tested the gloves while sitting in the garage. They work is about all I can tell. Like most places in the US, the cold has struck here again. I will probably ride into the office Thursday and should be around 15 degrees. The last ride I did this temp about 2 weeks ago is the whole reason I bought this stuff. So this should be a "do-over", hopefully with much better results.
Inventory;
- 02 FZ1 (Gen 1),
- 05 Yamaha WR450
- 06 Yamaha TTR50
- 06 Kawasaki KLX 125
Old 01-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #18
Wonger

I have the G3 gloves, but never really used them too much. I got warm enough in the 30's and 40's with only the jacket liner and Lee Parks insulated gloves. The heated collar made the biggest difference. I removed the liner that came with the jacket and just used the Gerbing's in it's place so I didn't feel puffy and all the pads stayed where they should be. It's the only way to go...
Also used the dual controller in my Firstgear Teton jacket pocket which has a passthrough hole for the cables. Also had zero quality issues with all the gear from Gerbing's but did buy it because of the lifetime warranty. My dad is using the heated gloves on his ATV now.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #19
Sammax
Rest in peace Donnie

Any of you that have the Gerbing jacket, I have a question for you. There are 3 connectors in the jacket. On the used jacket I bought I think it has a problem. If I put the hot wire to the jacket it works but no heat to the gloves. I can move the power over to the middle connection on the jacket and the gloves heat up and not the jacket. I'm guessing if I had some type of Y cable, 1 male to 2 females I could make it work. But according to a review I saw on webbikeworld I should only have to put power to that one position on the jacket if I use the jacket's internal glove wiring.

Any input is appreciated.
Inventory;
- 02 FZ1 (Gen 1),
- 05 Yamaha WR450
- 06 Yamaha TTR50
- 06 Kawasaki KLX 125
Old 01-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #20
cohl

Quote:
But according to a review I saw on webbikeworld I should only have to put power to that one position on the jacket if I use the jacket's internal glove wiring.
I think the review is wrong. I have several Gerbing jackets, but only one with three connectors. The three connectors are labeled jacket, gloves, and accessory. These are coax connectors. I was under the impression that the accessory plug was for pants.

My other jacket with coax connectors only has two connectors. One for the jacket and the other is labeled accessory. The accessory plug feeds the gloves.

My first Gerbing jacket has two SAE connectors. One for the jacket and one for the gloves.

When I bought my gloves, they came with a Y harness so that I could power the gloves and jacket from one input.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear