click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance

Old 01-13-2020, 02:31 PM   #1
cuda2832

First valve check

Doing my first valve check on the 03 Bee. Definitely over due. Just flipped 50k on the odometer. Noticed a little more noise from the motor after a spirited day of riding yesterday in our unseasonable weather. Got in 7 hrs and just shy of 260 miles. Upon returning home, left bike idling while I opened garage and that is when i noticed the chatter/noise. Tried to pinpoint it and it seemed to be from the top end, so figured i put it off long enough, time for the check. Pic is where i am at, just checked all the valves. All are at the low end, several way below. Couple questions, looks like I will be adjusting the majority of them. Should I aim for the mid to upper end, or leave the ones close to the middle? Specifically, the exhausts that are at .22, worth aiming for .24/ .25? Also, the cam chain guide/wear block in the valve cover, seems really loose on the two mounting pins. So loose that it actually falls out. Is that normal? Haven't seen any reference to it in any of the threads i have read. Dab of rtv to hold it? Will be pulling cams tomorrow after work and figuring what shims i can relocate and what I will need to acquire. Thanks for any insight.
https://ibb.co/DfT3H87
cuda2832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
okrider

if it's within range and you have the right sized shim to take it to the loose end of the spec, and you're already taking that cam out, I'd swap them. If not, don't worry.

If they're out of spec no matter how much, do adjust.
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:58 AM   #3
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

I didn't have to adjust mine last time around. Don't they all get tighter as they wear? That would motivate me to put what I could on the high side of the spec.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:43 AM   #4
fermic37

they do get tighter as the valves wear into the seats, with those miles and being your first check, i would shim them to the looser side of things.

if they are all that tight, you will be amazed how much better it starts and runs after you're done.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #5
cuda2832

Have noticed needing a little more enricher to get her going in the mornings. Pulling cams after work.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
cuda2832

Was able to relocate 11 shims and get those valves all on the mid to upper end of spec. Went to local dealer, who I use for some parts, but always take my tire mounting business to, which is usually 3 rear and 1 or 2 fronts per year , so we have a decent relationship, at least not a walk in stranger. He wanted no part of swapping shims. Only offered to order OEM at 13 bucks a shim. 9 shims for 130 bucks after tax seemed ridiculous to me. So, perused amazon and found a decent kit from Hot Cams that covered all the sizes I need for 32 bucks. Kit comes with 5 of each size from 1.80-2.05 ( in.05 increments). Like to support the local guy when I can but ....
Old 01-15-2020, 06:33 PM   #7
fermic37

Yeah I always order the hot cams shin kit for all my bikes. That bs of swapping shims and going back and forth with the dealer isn’t worth it imo
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance