register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 04-22-2004, 12:08 PM   #141
mikekapus
No Sweat

Even though I had ribs last night, your mentioning "pulled pork sandwiches" reminded me, I have to be in Tempe later today. Heading down there, instead of just passing through the "questionable" part of town on the freeway, I'm going to exit and stop in at Honey Bear Bar-B-Q for lunch. They have GREAT pulled pork sandwiches.

BTW, if you start a BBQ therad, you'd better start it in the War Room.
mikekapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:43 PM   #142
Desmo
Mein Führer!

BTW, if you start a BBQ therad, you'd better start it in the War Room.

TOO TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-22-2004, 01:18 PM   #143
wulfgarw

I'll hafta try a few of the chili recipes here, but I'll contribute my RED MEAT MARINADE!

I found that this works on just about any kind of red meat, but was made for steaks. I worked well, (to my pallate) on venison.

2 cups soy sauce
1/4 cup Lea & Perrins Worstishire (sp?) sauce
2 Tb of minced garlic, fresh works better
Fresh ground black pepper, finer grind
A tad of salt
tad of rosemary
several drops of Tabasco sauce

All of the above in a big glass bowl, marinate the steaks in it overnight, throw 'em on a charcoal grill and slow cook to preference. A few minuites before its done, add some more very coarse grind fresh black pepper, and sprinkle w/ Lea & Perrin.

GOOD EATIN'!

I usually soak some fresh mushrooms in the marinade for a few min b4 adding the meat. I'll take it out, wrap it in foil and throw it on the grill for a bit. Makes a good side.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:54 AM   #144
Fade

I ran accross this thread looking for oil information...but while I'm here.......
Here is my recipe for country ham. You will need a 1/8in drillbit 10-12 inches long and a big enough container to hold the ham standing on end.......I usually buy a 2.00$ waste can from the mart. Pineapple juice, orange juice, apple cider viniger,honey (cloves are optional) , fresh pineapple slices and a orange.
To begin with remove most of the fat from the ham then take and drill holes throughout the ham from all directions(about 50-60). Place ham in the container and pour in equal amounts of the pineapple juice,orange juice and apple cider viniger untill the ham is covered. Cover and place in cool place for 48 hrs. Remove ham and bake in a roasting pan with a small rack on the bottom of pan, pour in some of the soak juice and bake at 275-300 for 20-25 min a pound (cover with foil). When almost done crosscut the top and pour on the honey and add pineapple-orange slices and finish baking. It will have you comming back for seconds and thirds......
This process removes almost all the salty taste and is very tasty. Everytime I take one to work it's like a bunch of piranhas appear out of nowhere and all thats left in a soup bone
Now back to the search for oil
Fade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 05:34 PM   #145
QUIK180
You're

Easy Meat

This is my favorite of BBQ approachs, very popular with the ladies

Start with a reasonably lean tri-tip, take a sharp paring knife and poke about 6 evenly spaced holes, cut up a clove of garlic into six slivers and insert into the tri-tip.

Preheat BBQ to 800 degrees

place tri-tip on grill immediately turn BBQ down to where it will settle at about 450 degrees. turn after 8 minutes, continue cooking for about another 14 minutes.

Remove from heat and allow to rest for 15 minutes.

Slice and serve.

drink heavily
Old 06-10-2004, 05:55 PM   #146
Desmo
Mein Führer!

I am a HUGE tri-tip fan, so I may need to try this.

Don't you use any other seasoning? I go for the traditional Santa Maria style. Kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder.

BTW - 800 degrees????????
Old 06-11-2004, 10:45 AM   #147
QUIK180
You're

If you are a salt and cracked pepper fan you can try that, but the idea is to not confuse the garlic with other spices.

The initial high heat phase lasts just long enough to seal the meat as the heat reduces during the first 8 minutes.

It also helps to get a really good tri-tip, Stater bros or if you can get it Harris ranch. In your case probably Dragers.

Finally resting the meat should have the effect of making the meat doneness even all the way to the edge. It should be pink all the way through but not raw.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:19 PM   #148
Slash1
like ridin' on air

OK, I'll give this a go. This is an impossibly simple yet scrumptious little chili (no chili banter, please) dip that I've made and which has always received a great reception.

The Stuff:

1. 2 cans of Hormel No-Bean Chili (around 16 oz. each)
2. 1 brick of Philadelphia brand cream cheese. (You can use the 1/3 fat variety "Neufchatel" if you're watching fat)

The Directions:

Melt the Stuff in a pot over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the cheese has melted throughout the chili. Serve in bowls as the perfect dip for your favorite brand of tortilla chips.

The Mods (bikers always gotta have mods):

1. Add a jar of Pace Hot Picante sauce to the Stuff, and add a second brick of cream cheese. Adds a little kick to the dip.

2. Go with either the stock recipe or Mod #1 and add Dave's Insanity Sauce to taste. DO THIS IN YOUR OWN BOWL! THIS STUFF IS FAR TOO PAINFUL TO PLAY WITH. IF YOU ARE NOT ACCUSTOMED TO SERIOUSLY, RIDICULOUSLY HOT FOOD, DO NOT DO THIS!!! This does happen to be my favorite.

Probably sounds like an odd combination, but I'm tellin' ya I've gotten more compliments on this dip, and I've given the recipe out so many times you wouldn't believe it.

Perfect match for beer and your favorite sporting event, by the way...
Slash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 10:00 PM   #149
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Just put this brisket on about 2 hours ago. Should be ready in another 13-14 hours. Just in time for lunch tomorrow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg briskette.jpg (65.4 KB, 439 views)
Old 07-05-2004, 04:51 PM   #150
Slash1
like ridin' on air

Desmo,

THAT PICTURE IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT DIRECTIONS!!!! (to your place, that is...)
Slash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:04 PM   #151
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Quote:
Originally posted by Slash1
Desmo,

THAT PICTURE IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT DIRECTIONS!!!! (to your place, that is...)

16 hours later and I tell ya, it came out YUMMY!!! And there's still a lot left. Mmmm...sandwiches for days!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 04:45 PM   #152
lowtone9
WWQD?

Quote:
Originally posted by victorspecial
I can hear it already. "WTF is roux?"
Take a stick of butter and add a cup of flour and cook a bit stirring constantly. Don't want it to burn. Don't want to get it on your skin either. It is like molten lava.

This is also great if you add a couple chipotle peppers for some kick.
Dude .are you still around ? If so ,what do you think of the Prudhomme roux method ? I`ve been trying to get it right for 20 years with mostly bad results. It`s either burned or ...just not right. So I usually use the old slow way ,with a twist . Butter ,olive oil (EV) ,and ..ahem ...lard.

But since you guys are talking barbecue ,here`s a recipe that really isn`t barbecue at all, so just forget it . No ,really barbecue (not barbecueD) shrimp . This is an extremely simple recipe purported to be the original from Pascale`s Manale . Although I don`t usually cook this way ,this recipe is straight out of a book.

Ever how many lbs you want to cook ,shell on and preferably head on. Throw them into a flatish pan big enough to spread out the shrimp in a single layer . Throw in one stick of butter (salted)
for each lb of shrimp and one extra for the pan . Cover with a THICK layer of black pepper . Throw it in a pre-heated 350 oven for 45 minutes ,turning ocassionally.
There are some pretty elaborate recipes for barbecue shrimp out there ,but this one is absolutely fine . Don`t screw it up and add ANYTHING else. Oh yeah ,the pan butter is dipping sauce.
lowtone9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:13 PM   #153
Keytickler
Causative Factor

lowtone9:

I've eaten "BBQ" shrimp at Pascal's Manale in New Orleans many, many times. That's it???? Butter and pepper?? Nothing else??? I don't doubt you, but I'm surprised that there are no other ingredients.

I've had good luck with roux in the past. I use a combination of butter and olive oil. Never tried adding lard. I think it's equal parts flour and butter/olive oil. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly (and I mean constantly) in a heavy skillet or dutch oven. This may take 15+ minutes until the roux turns a golden brown. If you get distracted, the flour can burn in a heartbeat and your roux is rouxined.

Keytickler
Keytickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 01:15 PM   #154
WAB
Professional scumbag

I am looking for a good Hollandaise sauce recipe

Anybody have one they wish to share ?
WAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:05 PM   #155
lowtone9
WWQD?

Quote:
Originally posted by Keytickler
lowtone9:

I've eaten "BBQ" shrimp at Pascal's Manale in New Orleans many, many times. That's it???? Butter and pepper?? Nothing else??? I don't doubt you, but I'm surprised that there are no other ingredients.

I've had good luck with roux in the past. I use a combination of butter and olive oil. Never tried adding lard. I think it's equal parts flour and butter/olive oil. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly (and I mean constantly) in a heavy skillet or dutch oven. This may take 15+ minutes until the roux turns a golden brown. If you get distracted, the flour can burn in a heartbeat and your roux is rouxined.

Keytickler
That recipe is straight out of a book ,from a guy that cooked for Pascal`s . Try it ,you`ll be surprised.

I was talking about Paul Prudhomme`s quick roux method.
He says heat the oil to smoking ,then stir in the flour and continue stirring like a madman for about 5 minutes for a very dark roux. I`ve tried it many times ,but even when it doesn`t burn , just doesn`t seem to taste as good as the slow method.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:01 AM   #156
PB125

OK. We all can BBQ and thanks for the recipies but, I want deserts MAGGOTS! Do I make myself clear. I gotta sweet tooth and I can't shake it. I want the truth. I defend the Peace and Dignity of the State of Texas and want SWEEEEEEEEETS! I deserve sweets, need sweets, mmmmmgood...real good! Get ya some...............I can grill a steak, make any breakfast known to the South but now I NEED SWEETS! No candy. No chocolate. Just CAKE, PIE, COOKIES. Anything that goes against a Carb-Free diet....Give it to me.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:56 PM   #157
lowtone9
WWQD?

easy way to die

1/2 jar Jif extra crunchy peanut butter.
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup Elijah Craig Barrelproof Bourbon
1 stick creamery butter.

Mix ingredients, let the mixture sit for ....oh about two minutes .

Spead between layers of the richest poundcake recipe you can find ( will provide recipe if necessary ) .

Serve with butter pecan ice cream .
Old 08-30-2004, 11:32 PM   #158
fazed&confused
well marbled

Re: I am looking for a good Hollandaise sauce recipe

Quote:
Originally posted by WAB
Anybody have one they wish to share ?
Hollandaise is basically a warm mayonnaise made with butter (instead of oil). If you know how to make a temporary emulsion you can make a great hollandaise.

Here's a basic recipe:

HOLLANDAISE

Active time: 20 min Start to finish: 20 min

2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
3 tablespoons cold water
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large egg yolks
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon pieces and softened
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cayenne or Tabasco to taste

Boil vinegar, 2 tablespoons water, salt, in a 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan until reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Remove from heat and stir in remaining tablespoon water.
Whisk in yolks, then cook over very low heat, whisking constantly, until thickened (be careful not to scramble yolks), about 1 minute. Whisk in butter 1 piece at a time, lifting pan occasionally to cool sauce and adding each piece before previous one is completely melted.

Remove from heat and whisk in lemon juice, cayenne, and salt to taste.

Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

I like to add chopped fresh Tarragon and peeled and diced home grown Tomatoes to my Hollandaise-- great over poached salmon.
fazed&confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 09:49 AM   #159
WAB
Professional scumbag

Thanks Fazed & confused.... muchly appreciated.
Will try it this weekend.
WAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 01:12 PM   #160
broke&poor
I have a belly button!

OK guys (and gals) I am not a gourme chef but I do ok on the grill.

My two favorites:

1) Bacon Cheese Dogs (BCD's). Wrap the dog of your choice in bacon and pin the bacon to the dog with toothpicks. Otherwise it will fall onto the coals and burn like fuel ! ! The flames will shoot 3 feet high and catch the paint on fire! ! ! Don't ask me how I know this. When It's done to your satisfaction drop a piece of cheese on it so it melts just a little... Use steak sauce instead of mustard or ketchup

2) Grilled veggies - chop up potatoes into 3/4 " squares... some mushrooms... carrots into 1/2 " slices... add whatever other veggies to your liking making sure they are small chunks.
Mix all together and separate into individual size portions. Wrap each portion in tinfoil adding a tbsp of butter. Grill for about 30 - 45 minutes.
For you guys who like it hot, add one sliced jalapeno to each portion. The butter really spreads the jalapeno juice well and it gets HOT... mmmmmm

Also I find that steaks are much better on the grill if you put a pan on top of the coals - put some homemade beer in the pan with either applesauce or sliced apples or a little apple juice... tender..... juicy...... tasty...... mmmmmmmm
broke&poor is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion