register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 09-28-2018, 07:27 AM   #21
fermic37

yeah the new vehicles gas are tuned rich on start up, no idea why. The tail pipe on my truck would be cover in black crap after about a week.

Had a turner play with it a little and went away.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:59 PM   #22
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger View Post
That's hilarious, I was one paragraph in and thought, oh, the VW tune!! I loved my illegal TDI Jetta, and its a shame they can't sell them now. It drove great and got an easy 40+mpg no matter how fast you drove it. What a terrific commuter. One bus or semi tractor puts out more crap from its exhaust pipe in a week than I ever did with my stock, then APR tuned Jetta. Never saw a puff of smoke or a black tail pipe either.
Have you driven the 1.4 liter gasoline Turbo? 184 ft pounds of torque - reminds me of the diesels I rented in Europe.
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
74 Benelli 650 Tornado
71 BSA Lightning 650
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:08 AM   #23
okaugust
And so this is Christmas

I live in a place where the rollin' coal phenomena is pretty common. They outfit the trucks with rebel flags and stickers that say "choke on my smoke" and I just don't get it, because the first rule in my book is you do not shit where you eat, or destroy the water you drink...or the air YOU breath.

But the other day I saw a guy with smokestacks going up, and his dog in the back of the truck was right in the black smoke as it came pouring out, and I wanted to pull him out of his truck (the man, not the dog, well, the dog to rescue it) and...well...do horrible things to him. I wish he'd at least get a ticket, but I'd settle for dying of cancer very soon.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #24
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
That's hilarious, I was one paragraph in and thought, oh, the VW tune!! I loved my illegal TDI Jetta, and its a shame they can't sell them now. It drove great and got an easy 40+mpg no matter how fast you drove it. What a terrific commuter. One bus or semi tractor puts out more crap from its exhaust pipe in a week than I ever did with my stock, then APR tuned Jetta. Never saw a puff of smoke or a black tail pipe either.
What year Jetta’s are these?! Maybe I need to get me one
Old 10-01-2018, 05:42 AM   #25
Wonger

Any of the '09's or newer. If you drive with care you can get 50mpg pretty easy, but I'd just go 80 or so and get 42-43mpg. They are getting harder to find since they stopped selling them. We traded ours in for about $11k in '13. We got a buyback offer from VW after the settlement for $9400 in '15 or '16.

I haven't driven their 1.4L turbo, but I think the 1.8L turbo they used for one year in the golf and Jetta was the bargain of the decade. They still use it in the Passat, but it was basically 95% of the performance of the GTI/GLI for $5k less.

My Civic Si is a 1.5L turbo with 205hp and 192 lb-ft. It dies off at the upper RPM's and loses some of the fun. No benefit to shifting at 6k vs. 5k. Still a good commuter though as the adjustable dampers do really give it a nice ride.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #26
Quisp

Quote:
I'll snap a pic of my '17 Civic Si's exhaust. It's horribly black. So much for the clean efficient (with regard to emissions) small turbo's. Our GTI exhaust tips would get a little dark as well. I do get great mileage 38 avg, 40-43 in highway in the Civic though, and its a great commuter.

I constantly pass trucks and busses to avoid the terrible fumes. I also have to work in Griffin, GA which is a very poor town. EVERY DAMN DAY I have to use recirc. in the car because of some crappy truck or clunky driven around at a snail's pace with no urgency to go anywhere. Meanwhile I'll get scolded for making my 350cc dirtbike run efficiently and not so hot that it wears down the engine faster and I have to buy more manufactured parts more often? How much energy is wasted and pollution added for a new piston every 75 hours? Penny-wise schmucks.
If it's a direct injection engine there prone to soot . They also run them rich to keep the turbo cooler . Looked into Hondata tune ?
Quisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion