register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 07-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #21
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzyrider
Neither, but I know the origin of K.K. Rowling's books, the premise and the plotlines. Or well enough to know they would bore me silly. I'm not into "fantasy" reading.

It's kind of like surfing or horseback riding. Never done those either, but I can tell I wouldn't like doing those things.

But good for you if you like them. I'm keeping my finger on the flamethrower, though...

I prefer historical novels and historical biographies, especially about Lincoln. I find his life fascinating. Such a complex, magnanimous, humble figure who was more of a master politician than most people realize.

I hate it when his legacy is reduced to insulting caricatures every president's day in order to sell mattresses.
Have you read April 1865: The Month That Saved America? Great book!!!
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:06 AM   #22
ion
n( . )( . )b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar
So it goes...(one of his sayings).
no, you can't use it like that! There must be a description of someone's or something's demise preceding it!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #23
GettingFaster
So Misunderstood

Quote:
Neither, but I know the origin of K.K. Rowling's books, the premise and the plotlines. Or well enough to know they would bore me silly. I'm not into "fantasy" reading.

It's kind of like surfing or horseback riding. Never done those either, but I can tell I wouldn't like doing those things...
At least you have an open mind about it.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:10 AM   #24
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion
no, you can't use it like that! There must be a description of someone's or something's demise preceding it!
Wow, you're right!!! Hey, it's been more than 20 years since I read his books. I guess I should reacquaint myself.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Old 07-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #25
fizzyrider
Too stupid to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar
Have you read April 1865: The Month That Saved America? Great book!!!
No, I'll look that one up. Thanks!

The last Lincoln book I read was "Team Of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln". Very informative, but quite dry. It read like a text book.
fizzyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #26
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipps
"Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera"
"PC Building Bible" [PC Magazine] - click here

glad you asked?

oh, and at least 1 or 2 books most nights when i put the kids to bed. favs include "one fish two fish", "where the wild things are", "hi! fly guy", "super fly guy", "i wanna iguana", etc. i can even understand some of them.
Have you read your girls, Skippyjon Jones?(MUST be read with an accent.) Trust me they will LOVE it! Also, your seven year old is old enough to start hearing short novels. I good one is The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate Dicamillo. When I read to my students I act out all the different characters. They love it!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #27
GettingFaster
So Misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by niNAG
Have you read your girls, Skippyjon Jones?(MUST be read with an accent.) Trust me they will LOVE it! Also, your seven year old is old enough to start hearing short novels. I good one is The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate Dicamillo. When I read to my students I act out all the different characters. They love it!
At the next Gap Rally I vote for a story night starring Nina!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #28
fizzyrider
Too stupid to know better

The Story of O?

With accompanying character representation of course.
fizzyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:17 AM   #29
GettingFaster
So Misunderstood

Quote:
The Story of O?

With accompanying character representation of course.
There wouldn't be an empty seat in the house.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #30
ion
n( . )( . )b

Quote:
I need more info. Tell me about the plot.
I'll write about each plot when I can get enough time to write a few paragraphs without interrupting focused ion-beam milling and client calls.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #31
dipps
administrator

Quote:
skippyjon jones, no. looks good though. i'll have to keep an eye out for it on the next scholastic book order form they bring home.

and my 7yo isn't big on listening to ME read any more.... she reads incredibly well on her own. has read a couple of "chapter books" (all words, no pictures) on her own already, including captain underpants, 20k leagues under the sea (shortened version), and a few others. she actually started on one of the harry potter books, but i think she got burnt out a little on that one (again, she's only 7). a fella here offered to send me "bridge to terabithia" for her to read, but i forgot to take him up on that (was kind of a tear jerker anyway).
Into the hands of every individual is given a marvelous power for good or evil -- the silent, unconscious, unseen influence of his life. This is simply the constant radiation of what man really is, not what he pretends to be.
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus
dipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #32
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

Go and get "The Time Traveler's Wife."

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Travelers.../dp/015602943X

Read it. Love it. Thank me for it, later.

-T

Edit. Here's a review from Publisher's weekly.

From Publishers Weekly
This highly original first novel won the largest advance San Francisco-based MacAdam/Cage had ever paid, and it was money well spent. Niffenegger has written a soaring love story illuminated by dozens of finely observed details and scenes, and one that skates nimbly around a huge conundrum at the heart of the book: Henry De Tamble, a rather dashing librarian at the famous Newberry Library in Chicago, finds himself unavoidably whisked around in time. He disappears from a scene in, say, 1998 to find himself suddenly, usually without his clothes, which mysteriously disappear in transit, at an entirely different place 10 years earlier-or later. During one of these migrations, he drops in on beautiful teenage Clare Abshire, an heiress in a large house on the nearby Michigan peninsula, and a lifelong passion is born. The problem is that while Henry's age darts back and forth according to his location in time, Clare's moves forward in the normal manner, so the pair are often out of sync. But such is the author's tenderness with the characters, and the determinedly ungimmicky way in which she writes of their predicament [...] that the book is much more love story than fantasy. It also has a splendidly drawn cast, from Henry's violinist father [...] to Clare's odd family and a multitude of Chicago bohemian friends. [...] It is a fair tribute to her skill and sensibility to say that the book leaves a reader with an impression of life's riches and strangeness rather than of easy thrills.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #33
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd S
Go and get "The Time Traveler's Wife."

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Travelers.../dp/015602943X

Read it. Love it. Thank me for it, later.

-T
Sounds kind of like Slaughterhouse Five by the above mentioned Mr. Vonnegut. His character gets "unstuck" in time and is bounced around in time uncontrollably.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #34
Buccleuch
Let's... Ugh.

I don't mean to brag, but this is my little sister.

Okay, heck, yeah, I do mean to brag!

REALLY cool books, niNAG, especially for you and your audience. I think you'd really enjoy them.

I've read another manuscript she has going, which will be published soon, and wow! Is it cool!

Okay, all done now. Brag off.

WA.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #35
Buccleuch
Let's... Ugh.

Well, I totally forgot. Books I've read recently, hmmm...

_Point of Impact_, by Stephen Hunter. Forget the movie, "Shooter." Read the book!

_Living Dangerously_, the autobiography of Sir Ranulph Fiennes.

_Ages in Chaos_, by Dr. Immanuel Velikovsky.

_War as I Knew It_, by Gen. George S. Patton.

_True Summit: What Really Happened on the Legendary Ascent of Annapurna_, by David Roberts.

As I get older, I find myself drawn more and more to historical texts.

WA.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #36
e643
searching for my smooth

Momentum is your Friend by Joe Kurmaskie.

Non-fiction adventure with bicycles, kids and lots of humor.
e643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:06 PM   #37
jpgrfan
Resistance is futile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion
I'm on my third Kurt Vonnegut novel in as many weeks. I started with Sirens of Titan which got me hooked on his style and wit, and then Slaughterhouse Five last week, and tonight or tomorrow I'll finish Cat's Cradle. I'll read at least a few more from Vonnegut before getting back into Italo Calvino to finish t-zero and probably Cosmicomics.

I'm also a huge fan of graphic novels, and especially Will Eisner.
I've read several from Vonnegut. Cat's Cradle was excellent but a bit flat I think. My favorite is Piano Player - great ending. Slaughter House Five was good, too; Really enjoy the movie. God Bless You Mr. Rosewater is O.K. Seems all are somewhat dark and typically a bit over the top with some good humor.

jpgrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #38
rswebscan
Nada Como El Sol

I read constantly and usually buy about 20 books at a time - bout every two or three months. Fiction, fantasy, mystery, spy novels, etc....

Wolfman, read all the wheel of time books loved the first few and then found my attention wandering. Try the Belgariad by Robert Eddings - my favorite series after Tolkein....
Old 07-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #39
rswebscan
Nada Como El Sol

Oh, and I thoroughly enjoyed all of Neil Peart's books - have yet to get his latest though...
Old 07-20-2007, 12:18 PM   #40
bradd
Working away

Just finishing up "The Tao of Physics" by Fritjof Capra, great book, it relates Eastern Philosophy, Zen, Buddism, Taoism, with modern sub-particle physics, relating things like Hesenburgs uncertainty principle (the more we know about the velocity of a particle the less we know about its position, and all measurements effect what is being measured) with Buddist thoughts about the true nature of reality and how things exist.
I learned a lot about Zen and even got a better incite in to sub-atomic physics, even though I studied that on college I had forgotten a lot. The Eastern religions and philosophers were probably a lot closer to the true nature of our universe than the geometry based scientists of Europe.

Just finished "Can I Keep My Jersey?: 11 Teams, 5 Countries, and 4 Years in My Life as a Basketball Vagabond" by Paul Shirley. I started reading Paul Shirley's blog on ESPN a couple of years ago because he went to my alma matter and his first year there was my last. I watched him play basketball there through his career and they had some good teams and some pretty good NCAA tournament runs. Paul graduated in Mechanical engineering and was in school on an academic, not an athletic scholarship.
Paul's take on things is much like if I, or many of the sarcastic rational FZ1OA members was suddenly thrust into the world of professional basketball and how ridiculous we would think the money, and jewelry and everything else is. And also all the stuff he went through playing in Europe, and the fact he really doesn't like it anywhere. He is just so funny. Some of his takes on race will upset some people (base on the "Is it wrong I find this funny" thread). But overall his sense of humor will appeal to most people here.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion