register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 07-20-2007, 12:19 PM   #41
bradd
Working away

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswebscan
Oh, and I thoroughly enjoyed all of Neil Peart's books - have yet to get his latest though...

And I have read his latest, Roadshow, and it is great as well.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:24 PM   #42
PFG
Like that when I found it

I've read all Vonnegut's stuff, and saw him speak once. I was genuinely saddened when he died.

Like K.V.'s stuff, I never really met an Isaac Asimov novel I didn't like.

I don't have much time to read, especially in the summer, anymore. I am trying to power through Atlas shrugged right now. I started it on a business trip, and it is dragging now. It is starting to feel like I could read every other page and still get the plot. Lots of fluff, but interesting enough premise and characters.

Get Robot Dreams By Isaac Asimov, it is a collection of short stories by him. It's got some good stories (some so-so ones, too) in it, and is a good sample of his style.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #43
GettingFaster
So Misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradd
Just finished "Can I Keep My Jersey?: 11 Teams, 5 Countries, and 4 Years in My Life as a Basketball Vagabond" by Paul Shirley. I started reading Paul Shirley's blog on ESPN a couple of years ago because he went to my alma matter and his first year there was my last.
That sounds interesting. I remember reading his blog. He has a good sense of humor, so I imagine the book is a good read. Didn't he go to college the same place the digital computer was invented?
Old 07-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #44
ctfz1
corner carver

Turn the Other Chick ed by Esther Friesner(Chicks in Chainmail series.
Shadow's Daughter by Shirley Meier(novels of the Fifth Millenium)
Angry Lead Skies by Glen Cook (Garrett PI fantasys)
Elminster's Daughter by Ed Greenwood (Forgotten Realms)
Monstrous Regiments by Terry Pratchett (light)
The War Gods Own By David Weber (first of series)
For all brides and wedding tales.. A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold (something for everyone, laugh and cry) Komarr worth reading first
Grantville Gazette lll
Ancient tombs : Robert A Heinlein : The Menace from Earth(juv)
Podkayne of Mars(juv)
The Star Beast(juv) Beethoven ad astra
Glory Road
With the Lightnings by David Drake (space opera based on history and)
Enjoy....
In A Civil Campaign, Miles has decided to marry widow of man he's suspected of killing in course of terrorist investigation, and who's sworn off men, returned to college. Relatives are trying to marry her off for her own good. Ex-assasin clone brother torture victim has shown up with family friends daughter as lover, short of cash, law officers in persuit with scientist and genetically altered bug managerie. Cousin V is thinking marriage, finds ex paramore...

Last edited by ctfz1; 07-21-2007 at 05:59 AM.
ctfz1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #45
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabuckalew
I don't mean to brag, but this is my little sister.

Okay, heck, yeah, I do mean to brag!

REALLY cool books, niNAG, especially for you and your audience. I think you'd really enjoy them.

I've read another manuscript she has going, which will be published soon, and wow! Is it cool!

Okay, all done now. Brag off.

WA.
Available in Danish??? Wow.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #46
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswebscan
Oh, and I thoroughly enjoyed all of Neil Peart's books - have yet to get his latest though...
Sharkattack just sent me one! "Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road." I'm taking it with me on vacation to read at my cabin.

-T
Old 07-20-2007, 01:09 PM   #47
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

Quote:
Pretty cool, WA!

-T
Old 07-20-2007, 01:13 PM   #48
300lbGorilla
An FZ1OA Elite

I've been in the middle of Ayn Rand's Normative Ethics: The Virtuous Egoist by Tara Smith for several months now.

I'll probably re-read "The Dark is Rising" series since a movie's coming out.

After that it'll most likely be the "Harry Potter" series.

Of course, this is all contingent upon me finding the time.
300lbGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:14 PM   #49
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profireguy
I've read all Vonnegut's stuff, and saw him speak once. I was genuinely saddened when he died.

Like K.V.'s stuff, I never really met an Isaac Asimov novel I didn't like.

I don't have much time to read, especially in the summer, anymore. I am trying to power through Atlas shrugged right now. I started it on a business trip, and it is dragging now. It is starting to feel like I could read every other page and still get the plot. Lots of fluff, but interesting enough premise and characters.

Get Robot Dreams By Isaac Asimov, it is a collection of short stories by him. It's got some good stories (some so-so ones, too) in it, and is a good sample of his style.
I tried to read that a long time ago, but I just couldn't get through it. Same thing with Hawaii by James Michener. It took about 100 pages before the islands were formed. Way too much trivial detail for me.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #50
ion
n( . )( . )b

Quote:
Just finishing up "The Tao of Physics" by Fritjof Capra
that was required reading in my quantum physics class in college! And it just so happened I took up readings in Zen about a year before so it all sort of made sense.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #51
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

I'm an admitted immature audience. While I will read anything that gets critical acclaim I scarf up fantasy and scifi and Ludlam and Stephen King.

Vonnegut is classic. It's nigh time I reread all the ones I have sitting here. I just reread all the Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker stuff and being that Vonnegut is his most cited inspiration I think if you enjoy one you'll enjoy the other.

Wheel of Time. Sigh. The first book is a chore to get through. Then the next six or seven are good. The most recent one wasn't bad. But the two prior to that flat out sucked. Between his illness and his publisher's greed they've been slow to get them out.

I like the Hairy Pothead books too.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:11 PM   #52
ion
n( . )( . )b

Quote:
I just reread all the Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker stuff and being that Vonnegut is his most cited inspiration I think if you enjoy one you'll enjoy the other.

not for me it isn't... I tried to get through Adam's stuff in Galaxy, and just could not get interested.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #53
Moors
In the beginning was the Word

I'll read HP7 as soon as I can get a copy,

I haven't touched the Wheel of Time books since I finished 10, I was ticked that 11 was a prequel, especially after 9 & 10 accomplished next to nothing as far as the story goes. I'll probably pick it back up after a few books are out (in paperback) or he actually finishes it before he is worm food (the jury is still out on that).

Salvatore (Drizzt stuff, Cleric Quintet, Belwar) all good stuff for the most part
Asimov (foundation series, wasn't too excited about reading more after those 5 books, pretty predictable)
Herbert (Dune series was good, grew into a nostalgic pervert by the end of the series)
Tolkien (Hobbit, Lord of the Rings great stuff)
Hitchhikers (stopped reading it 1/2 through the last book, I thought it poetic justice somehow )
Various (the good, bad, and the unmentionable)
the Bible (should be read more frequently every year)
Moors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:34 PM   #54
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipps
skippyjon jones, no. looks good though. i'll have to keep an eye out for it on the next scholastic book order form they bring home.

and my 7yo isn't big on listening to ME read any more.... she reads incredibly well on her own. has read a couple of "chapter books" (all words, no pictures) on her own already, including captain underpants, 20k leagues under the sea (shortened version), and a few others. she actually started on one of the harry potter books, but i think she got burnt out a little on that one (again, she's only 7). a fella here offered to send me "bridge to terabithia" for her to read, but i forgot to take him up on that (was kind of a tear jerker anyway).
That one is not appropriate for someone her age in my opinion. That is a 5th grade level book.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:37 PM   #55
gotfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipps
captain underpants
Someone wrote a book about me?
Old 07-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #56
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Quote:

Okay, heck, yeah, I do mean to brag!

REALLY cool books, niNAG, especially for you and your audience. I think you'd really enjoy them.

I've read another manuscript she has going, which will be published soon, and wow! Is it cool!

Okay, all done now. Brag off.

WA.
That is SOOOO AWESOME!! I will definitely check out those books. (My list is getting longer and longer)
Old 07-20-2007, 03:40 PM   #57
300lbGorilla
An FZ1OA Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1
Someone wrote a book about me?
I thought you were Major Underpants. Have you been demoted?
300lbGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #58
gotfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300lbGorilla
I thought you were Major Underpants. Have you been demoted?
Don't act like you don't know, Rear Admiral Skidmark.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #59
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradd
Just finishing up "The Tao of Physics" by Fritjof Capra, great book, it relates Eastern Philosophy, Zen, Buddism, Taoism, with modern sub-particle physics, relating things like Hesenburgs uncertainty principle (the more we know about the velocity of a particle the less we know about its position, and all measurements effect what is being measured) with Buddist thoughts about the true nature of reality and how things exist.
I learned a lot about Zen and even got a better incite in to sub-atomic physics, even though I studied that on college I had forgotten a lot. The Eastern religions and philosophers were probably a lot closer to the true nature of our universe than the geometry based scientists of Europe.

Just finished "Can I Keep My Jersey?: 11 Teams, 5 Countries, and 4 Years in My Life as a Basketball Vagabond" by Paul Shirley. I started reading Paul Shirley's blog on ESPN a couple of years ago because he went to my alma matter and his first year there was my last. I watched him play basketball there through his career and they had some good teams and some pretty good NCAA tournament runs. Paul graduated in Mechanical engineering and was in school on an academic, not an athletic scholarship.
Paul's take on things is much like if I, or many of the sarcastic rational FZ1OA members was suddenly thrust into the world of professional basketball and how ridiculous we would think the money, and jewelry and everything else is. And also all the stuff he went through playing in Europe, and the fact he really doesn't like it anywhere. He is just so funny. Some of his takes on race will upset some people (base on the "Is it wrong I find this funny" thread). But overall his sense of humor will appeal to most people here.
I think you would enjoy The Four Agreements by ??? Ruiz(not sure if that is right). It is about the Toltec teachings.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:51 PM   #60
Wlfman
Just another Slow Poke

Quote:
Originally Posted by niNAG
That one is not appropriate for someone her age in my opinion. That is a 5th grade level book.
Why can she not be reading above her level? Both my daughters read well above their grade level, and have been for YEARS

"I ride not to add days to my life, but to add LIFE to my days."

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion