register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 07-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #81
ctfz1
corner carver

Grammar > purpose.Know it to abuse it.
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:09 PM   #82
JEP
Living the Dream!

I have to believe everyone is joking except Getting Faster.
There is only one book that counts in my house right now.
Harry Potter Book 7.
My daughter is out baby-sitting; my son is mowing the lawn. If I hit my wife over the head with an iron, I might get my hands on it.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #83
fizzyrider
Too stupid to know better

There's this periodical called "Playboy". I hear tell there's articles and stories and shit in there. Haven't found them yet.

Oh, look! There's some nubile young lasses. Where are their clothes for chrissake? I'm sure they'd wear them well.

ps. lowtone is a snob and a fairweather travel companion.

Yeah, okay I'm half in the bag right now....
fizzyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #84
fizzyrider
Too stupid to know better

Speaking of posting while drunk, where the **** is Paulbiz these daze?
fizzyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #85
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEP
Harry Potter Book 7.
My daughter is out baby-sitting; my son is mowing the lawn. If I hit my wife over the head with an iron, I might get my hands on it.
I'M ON CHAPTER 3!!!!! I was able to resist reading the last chapter for ten whole minutes. (That's a record for me.) I called my sister right after I did and she answered the phone with, "WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT HARRY POTTER, I DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!" How did she know? She said a spoiled the last book by giving hints. The only hint I will give is...........

The ending is PERFECTION!!!!!

Last edited by dipps; 07-22-2007 at 06:52 PM.
niNAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:57 PM   #86
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzyrider
You better take your drunk ass out of my thread!
Old 07-21-2007, 05:01 PM   #87
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Quote:
I think PB is busy trying to buy a condo.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:06 PM   #88
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEP
Harry Potter Book 7.
Justin, I have to admit that I haven't read any of them and likely won't, but my kids LOVE them.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #89
lowtone9
WWQD?

Quote:

Yeah, okay I'm half in the bag right now....
Remember to take the ibuprophen before you crash.
lowtone9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:30 PM   #90
Rabeet
Boys of Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by niNAG
I'M ON CHAPTER 3!!!!! I was able to resist reading the last chapter for ten whole minutes. (That's a record for me.) I called my sister right after I did and she answered the phone with, "WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT HARRY POTTER, I DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!" How did she know? She said a spoiled the last book by giving hints. The only hint I will give is...........

That better be a ****ing joke.

If you just ruined that book for me, I am going to be furious.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule? - Anton Chigurh

If it ain't it'll do til the mess gets here. - Ed Tom Bell

He wants to know the names of all those he's better than - Little Hitlers Elvis Costello

Last edited by dipps; 07-22-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Rabeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #91
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Well niNAG, you just figured out how to get yourself banned! You ruined a Harry Potter book for Ed.

Cya!
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #92
ion
n( . )( . )b

oh, you are sooooo f#@ked now.

nice knowing ya, sort of.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #93
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by niNAG

Why in the hell would anyone give away the ending to a MUCH anticipated book? Even if it is a silly fiction NOVEL??? Not that I could give a shit about it!!!
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Last edited by dipps; 07-22-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #94
GettingFaster
So Misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo
Well niNAG, you just figured out how to get yourself banned! You ruined a Harry Potter book for Ed.

Cya!
You better find a way to kill Harry Potter or you're in trouble.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:20 AM   #95
Dirtgrain
Two Strikes

Oh holy crap--READ Dan Simmons' Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion (NOTE: you have to read them both to get to the conclusion). Awesome books that I read a few years ago. I'm reading the third book in the series, Endmyion (really a separate story from the first two), right now, and it has been great (250 pages in)--it has a cool opening.

Hyperion started with the two worst pages of writing that I had read in a long while. Lucky for me I kept on reading. It has a lot: characters that are complex and conflicted; a plot that is masterfully woven; nifty ideas of future worlds, people, technology and religion; a twisted cult; the Shrike (a mysterious black thorny being/monster/robot that controls time and impails people on a tree of suffering); artificial intelligence, confused androids, and the Technocore, an artificial intelligence web that may be at odds with humanity; time travel; space war; a mysterious enemy called the Ousters; politics; and plenty of suspense and intrigue.

My only problem with the first two books is that about two-thirds of the way through the second book, Fall of Hyperion, I wanted things to progress a bit quicker. The story shifted from scene to scene, showing what different characters were up to at the same time in different places. I got a bit frustrated with the father and his child scenes (can't remember their names), as it didn't seem like enough happened with them each time the narrative shifted to their scenes. But that was a minor annoyance in an otherwise excellent science fiction series. Holy crap--read it.

Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card, was pretty good. My students love it.

I just read the first two books of Dean R. Koontz's Frankenstein series. I can't recommend them. Talk about dragging out a story by shifting from one character's scene to the next, as very little happens. I don't get it. Does that guy have an editor? (Yah, he makes tons of money while I make diddly--he must be pleasing to some). I only kept on reading (speed reading) the books because my brother-in-law gave them to me, and I didn't want to be a snotty jerk and not read them (so, I'll just be a snotty jerk here and blast the books). Some of the characters were shallow, straight-up stereotypes from any cop movie. The storyline is a bit interesting: Mary Shelley's novel was based loosely on true events. Victor Frankenstein is still alive today, creating a master race to destroy humankind and take over the world (why, I never really figured out--just because, I guess). His original shunned creation is still alive, too, and he comes to New Orleans to stop Frankenstein once and for all. The new race characters had some interesting dilemmas, but I don't think they added anything to Shelley's monsters dilemmas in the original novel. I guess it's okay light reading if you have time to kill.

From back in the day, check out Stephen R. Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (first book Lord Foul's Bane), Fred Saberhagen's The Book of Swords, Terry Brook's The Sword of Shannara (basically a Lord of the Rings immitation--but damn good), Robert Asprin and Lynn Abbey's Thieves World (and maybe Asprin's Myth series, if you can handle the puns (one reason why I can't tolerate Piers Anthony books)), and Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land.
Dirtgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:04 AM   #96
Longrifle3006
Rogue pirate

One of my all-time favorites is Heinlein's "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress".....also like "The Number of the Beast" and "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls"...
For sheer silliness, Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series is amusing.....
Old 07-22-2007, 10:47 AM   #97
ctfz1
corner carver

The Paladin by C J Cherryh is a favorite.
1634 The Baltic War by Eric Flint.
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #98
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

edited by ninag

Last edited by niNAG; 01-08-2012 at 07:07 AM.
niNAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:20 AM   #99
Rabeet
Boys of Walmart

How can you spoil that book for anyone that reads this thread?

Proclaim how much you loooove books, then do this? What the hell?

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule? - Anton Chigurh

If it ain't it'll do til the mess gets here. - Ed Tom Bell

He wants to know the names of all those he's better than - Little Hitlers Elvis Costello
Rabeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #100
Wlfman
Just another Slow Poke

That is so F*%@ING wrong on so many levels. Why would you ruin a book for other people. Talk about a$$hole things to do.

"I ride not to add days to my life, but to add LIFE to my days."

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."

Last edited by Wlfman; 07-22-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion