register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues

Old 09-12-2018, 07:39 AM   #21
Somedayrider

The exup has been messed with before I got in there it was all messed up and I spent 6 hours messing with it trying to fix it and just wired it open. It ran good for 4-5 pulls then gave me a couple bad ones and then a couple good ones. Itís intermittent whatever it is and itís driving me up a wall. I havenít done a fuel filter cause Iím not sure if that would be it cause it to be intermittent, but it might be? My only thoughts is coil or trying to get a new exup and servo and get that working right.
Somedayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:51 AM   #22
JerseyDiesel

Location: Jersey, Ga a suburb of Loganville outside of Walnut Grove
What Arkie says is 100% correct about the exup valve.
My suggestion would be to Ivanize the carbs. While you have them out, you can give everything a good cleaning and get rid of the wad of emission stuff.
JerseyDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #23
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somedayrider View Post
The exup has been messed with before I got in there it was all messed up and I spent 6 hours messing with it trying to fix it and just wired it open. It ran good for 4-5 pulls then gave me a couple bad ones and then a couple good ones. It’s intermittent whatever it is and it’s driving me up a wall. I haven’t done a fuel filter cause I’m not sure if that would be it cause it to be intermittent, but it might be? My only thoughts is coil or trying to get a new exup and servo and get that working right.
Yeah check wiring around coil contacts. Could be a bad connection there or another wire or something shorting to the coil supply wires.

Have a look at the plug wires too. Maybe one of them is worn through somewhere and shorting to something else.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #24
arkie6

An easy thing to check is the connection between the coil wires and the spark plug boots. Some have reported a poor connection or corrosion there causing poor running. The plug boots just unscrew from the plug wires, so it is easy to inspect and you can put an ohm meter across the boots to verify consistent resistance from boot to boot (it should be around 10k ohms if I remember correctly). When you put them back together, cut ~1/4" off the end of the wires before screwing back into the boots to get a good clean connection.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #25
jpgrfan
Resistance is futile!

arkie suggested checking the air box.

Don't see that it's been looked at yet.

Sure sounds like it might be the filer or something in the box that doesn't belong there.

Hope you get it run ing right soon.

jpgrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #26
Somedayrider

Air filter has been replaced and everything has been checked..
Plug boot ohm's. #1 - 9.84. #2 - 10.98. #3 - 10.38. #4 - 9.88
So I guess those are good?
Somedayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #27
Wizbyu
Wizbyu

From the sound of what your saying, I don't think think It's a hesitation, sounds more like lack of power from no fuel, Hesitation to me is when your cruising at say 4k and you roll on or whack open the throttle and there's a slight pause before it starts to pickup speed or RPM. It could be your fuel pump going bad or the connection to it could be dirty or loose, your pump could be getting weak and if the filter is getting restricted it will have a hard time supplying fuel at high RPM. Most the time I have found the a dirty filter will cause lack of fuel all the time not intermittently, Your saying it happens after 5k or 7k to redline and feels like it has 70% power, to me that all points to not enough fuel in float bowls to keep up with what the motor needs at high RPM, weak fuel pump or it's going on / off form a bad connection, at lower RPM it has fuel, float bowls are full, as the RPM go's up the pump can't fill them fast enough to keep up with the demand of the motor.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues