click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 1 Parts & Accessories

Old 02-14-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
Chik'Tikka
+^_^+

Gen 1: Recommendations for fender elim, rear hugger, and LED ligthing?

Are the comp werkes eliminators all that's left? I'm trying to find a fender elem that doesn't involve cutting into stock parts if i can help it. I'd much rather be able to return to stock in the future if possible. I'll be getting a 'gently' used rear fender to cut my own.

Also looking for a Yamaha blue rear tire hugger. Seems all i can find are black or carbon fiber ones.

As for LED lighting, there's soo much, i'm not sure what's good or trash. Anyone with LED indicators and integrated tail lights able to give feedback?

Many thanks for taking the time to read me plebeian post.

With regards, Chik'Tikka

Last edited by Chik'Tikka; 02-15-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Chik'Tikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
Can't say much about the other parts but,

The integrated LED's found on fleabay have gotten soooo much better over the years. I wouls start thereor Amazon and go mid priced. Thats were II've had good luck. Gone are the days of inline resistors but some still come with them. Unnecessary with the right flasher. Same goes for front sniggles, mid priced and usually good lifespan and duty.
You can go high dollar but for the same amount you can usually buy 3 sets of mp'd sets. Again, wiring them in has gotten simple with bike specific lighting kits. Really are plug n play. Best wishes on your hunt.

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:06 AM   #3
thepopularjock
Sometimes I "Drunk Post" :)

The cheapest fender eliminator is to cut the rather large license plate holder yourself. As in just about any mod to the Gen 1, you should check out Pat's Page.....

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/u...fications.html

Here is a link to the home page...

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/

thepopularjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
okrider

I'm going to be selling my flush front signals as soon as I figure out how to put the s1000rr signals on the front. I like the look, but friends have complained that they can't see them flashing.
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
fermic37

Yes they are the only ones. Also when buying an integrated light on ebay there are two different ones. Get the one that has the OEM plug on it, not the one where you have to splice the wires. The cheaper one is junk and lasted one summer on mine before failing.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:03 PM   #6
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
I'm going to be selling my flush front signals as soon as I figure out how to put the s1000rr signals on the front. I like the look, but friends have complained that they can't see them flashing.
Pics please.

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #7
Chik'Tikka
+^_^+

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepopularjock View Post
The cheapest fender eliminator is to cut the rather large license plate holder yourself. As in just about any mod to the Gen 1, you should check out Pat's Page.....

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/u...fications.html

Here is a link to the home page...

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/

I'll probably go that route, there's a good selection of cheap 'gently' used under-tail trays on Ebay i can cut on so i can put mine in a nice clean box intact.

As for a number of the other mods, a lot of links on Pat's site are dead or lead to sites that no longer sell gen 1 FZ1 parts. So i ask here for advice on rear tire hugger and LED conversions.

Many thanks for everyone's fast responses so far, I'm used to forums being quiet for days at a time, but then I've never joined a motorcycle forum before+^_^+
Old 02-15-2018, 10:58 PM   #8
grommet
kinetic mentality

FYI I tried the integrated tail light with LED bulbs. Went back to separate orange LED indicators because even with the LEDs, my friends said they could barely see the blinking turn light in the integrated tail light setup.

In the end, I got the LED turn signals, put in LED bulbs for the tail/brake lights, connected it all up with a Weatherpak 6 pin connector. I bundled the resistor packs for the LEDs and zip tied it all up in the back of the underseat area, just in front of where the cable harnesses go into the tail light receptacles.

I got the LED bulbs for the tail/brake lights from my local auto parts store. I added a bit of hot glue inside them where the resistors are to help dampen the effects of vibration on the axial leaded resistors in there.

For the LED signals, I got some Rizoma knock-offs and made my own bracket.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #9
Chik'Tikka
+^_^+

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
FYI I tried the integrated tail light with LED bulbs. Went back to separate orange LED indicators because even with the LEDs, my friends said they could barely see the blinking turn light in the integrated tail light setup.

In the end, I got the LED turn signals, put in LED bulbs for the tail/brake lights, connected it all up with a Weatherpak 6 pin connector. I bundled the resistor packs for the LEDs and zip tied it all up in the back of the underseat area, just in front of where the cable harnesses go into the tail light receptacles.

I got the LED bulbs for the tail/brake lights from my local auto parts store. I added a bit of hot glue inside them where the resistors are to help dampen the effects of vibration on the axial leaded resistors in there.

For the LED signals, I got some Rizoma knock-offs and made my own bracket.
I gotta say, those indicators are pretty sharp, What did you do to get rid of the front running light/indicator probes?
Old 02-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #10
grommet
kinetic mentality

I never changed the front ones. Just never got to it.

The grommetcycle was not known for clean aesthetics or a homogeneous style.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #11
firefly
2004 FZ1

I made my own & they are super bright.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=127224
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:27 PM   #12
Chik'Tikka
+^_^+

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly View Post
I made my own & they are super bright.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=127224
Now those are really unique! If i had more time and tools for DIY i'd consider it.

Thats said, what's everyone's opinion on these? I'll have to get an adapter for the front fairing, and they seem a little pricey, but I've been burned on ebay too much to risk those dinky China seller.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073M2YWGR...H08QA0VH&psc=1
Old 02-24-2018, 08:20 PM   #13
LiquidSilver
Fly Eagles Fly

The original body colored huggers were made by a french company I think, they were sold by Yamaha and color match was great. I don't think they have been sold for awhile.
If you can't luck upon a used one, you would have to fit up the black one you can get, then paint it.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #14
grommet
kinetic mentality

As another data point I run these LEDs on my KTM. They are from Custom Dynamics.

They install on any flat surface with VHB Double sided tape.

Fairly inexpensive, very bright, and easy to install.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:48 PM   #15
ctfz1
corner carver

A lot of people cut rear fenders, salvage yards are usually reasonable (or appeared to be when I looking to replace "eliminated" fender).
May have to look for bikes being parted out instead of fender listing.

If you cut leave turn signal mounting holes, saves a lot of aggravation. ( I added a "cutting board" to replace fender. The turn signals were 80s Yamaha mounted thru fender holes which cracked.

LEDs good ones have cost, I tried to cheap out, not great as of last year.

LED headlight bulbs it is better if wires exit side of base rather than rear.

No one wants to hear it. The Ivan's kit and stock exhaust (unless you NEED top end HP is a better ride than a slip on, spark advancer, and stock jetting or poor man's jet kit.
I'd get the R6R or S1000R shock first, and fork springs. (and/or aftermarket saddle)

Rizoma makes great small LED turn signals, PJ does not carry? any more?
They are on amazon but expensive.

There are posts on LED headlights (and tail light bulbs I think). cyclopsadventuresports.com LEDs. Superbrightleds.com

I bough a blinker relay off ebay about $3.xx and a long wait, than chickened and bought ~$10 relay from superbrights. No resistors needed. Appear identical.

Quality of LED headlights is mostly in in how sharply the low beam "cut out" appears Sharp and distinct won't bother other drivers, fuzzy can be a problem.
A buddy with an FZ09 used a forum recommendation from there because "space is tight." Expensive though.

I did find inexpensive LED bulbs for stock signals. ZHOL on amazon. Still deciding on 1157 taillight bulbs.

There are listings for instrument cluster bulbs on the forum.
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:25 AM   #16
Ironhand

FYI, you can wire in a trailer light integrator to convert the stock tail lights to include turn signals. I did it with some super bright replacement led bulbs and it came out great.
2008 XR650L
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #17
static
Its Gonna be fun

Looks like Dale at holeshot.com still sells an eliminator kit for the gen1. It installs pretty clean. Its a metal powder coated bracket that’s held up well on my 04. Order w/o the cats eye lights, they’re not led. I went with Rizoma’s. They work well and super bright. Also have held u0 very well. I had both these parts on my first gen1 that got ran over by a mini van. Transferred to the 04.

Last edited by Static: 2009/09/02 11:29:32

Government: If you think the problems they create are bad, wait till you see their solutions.

Gravity can be a cruel mistress, mock her and she will bitch slap you to the ground.
static is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 1 Parts & Accessories