click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 1 Parts & Accessories

Old 04-01-2015, 09:17 PM   #21
Bewernick

This is a great thread.
My #3 cap won't stay all the way down around the lip of the hole. How on earth can I get in there to push the cap down?
Bewernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:55 AM   #22
motomania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewernick View Post
This is a great thread.
My #3 cap won't stay all the way down around the lip of the hole. How on earth can I get in there to push the cap down?
raise the tank, push the sparkplug cap down lower the tank
2014 FZ-09: Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske rear shock, R1/R6 MC, SSL lines, custom tail, raised Sargeant seat, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, ECU reflashed by Ivan, custom tank protectors, new mirrors with turnsignals built-in, ErMax 25cm flyscreen and ErMax radiator shrouds.
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=130119
motomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #23
curvecrazy

I’m into this right now trying to address a rough running at idle issue. I was following the factory service manual regarding resistance checks and my spark plug cap boots were showing what appeared to be excessive resistance.
Spec 10k ohms This spec is not a range but a straight figure
My 1 and 4 cylinder/coil was what seemed to be causing issues. My cap boots measured out at 10.06k and 10.8k ohms. Not knowing any better and not being well versed on these things I assumed my plug caps were showing too much resistance. Primary coil resistance was spec’d at 1.87-2.53 ohms and mine (both coils) were showing 2.7 ohms! So again I assumed too much resistance old coils (100K Miles+ old) and assumed I needed replacements. Secondary coil resistance specs at 12k-18k ohms and my old 1/4 cylinder coil measured 15.4k ohms. Pickup coil resistance is measured on the connector under riders right hand side seat panel and spec is 248-372ohms. My 1/4 cylinder coil measured fine at 290 ohms.

So I bought used coils from. 23K mile FZ1 supposedly parted out running great. Right? LOL. So, I got the coils, put the 1/4cylinder one in after carefully cleaning all the contacts, and the bike seems to be idling better and casual observation seems to indicate cylinder #1 is as hot at idle on the header(water spray) as the other three.

What concerns me is I got the notion to check the second 2/3 cylinder coil and wires resistances. I was dead curious frankly. What I found was that the primary coil resistance is 2.6 ohms. (Not much better than what I had and not meeting 2.5 ohm spec). I found the replacement spark plug cap resistances actually greater than my old well used wires at 11k ohms and 12.1k ohms respectively. Which, frankly is a bit disturbing. I bought these hoping to get lower resistances on fresher boots. Uhggg.
I have not disassembled the 1/4 cylinder spark plug wires received to compare and I’m hesitating cause taking those apart seems not the best idea.

So here’s my concerns maybe someone can enlighten me. Would you not want to get the lowest possible resistances on your spark plug boots? Or does it not matter?
If disassembled as described in this thread and cleaned, will excess resistances then be addressed by removing corrosion and oxidation? Or would that require new caps? If new caps could one use caps for that size plug from another application that are say 5k ohms resistance? Or would that cause problems in the rest of the system?
Should the primary coil resistance be at 2.5 ohms or less or is 2.6 ohms or 2.7 ohms close enough?
On the trimming of these spark plug wires to freshen up the connection... it seems the original setup has a silver wire sticking out past the end of the wire. If that breaks off and disappears is that no good? Can another piece of wire be inserted and if so I assume it must be in contact with the copper core wires?

I’m a bit unsure of all these things I’m no electrical resistance expert. I recall reading before that coils can be confusing and they might even measure out right but still behave goofy. Anyone?
Old 10-03-2018, 07:03 PM   #24
curvecrazy

I took the a spark plug boot apart to attempt cleaning as portrayed in this post/illustrations and now I can’t get any resistance reading on that boot! What a great cleaning job there’s now no resistance! Except that there’s a 10k ohm resistor in there (that tested out separately shows 12k ohms resistance fwiw huh?) and I’m stumped here. There’s got to be some kind of gap in there there’s just the spring, resistor and end plug... wtf?

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 1 Parts & Accessories