click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 1 Parts & Accessories

Old 09-28-2017, 07:52 AM   #1
boyank

Windscreen Advice Needed

I replaced the original screen with the Zero Gravity double bubble and that's treated me great for the last 10 years. However it recently broke the right side in a move and now it's being held by duck tape...so time to get something new.

I've been eyeing the MRA vario screens for a while (http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-v...00-fazer-01-05) but I first wanted to know if I can get another Zero Gravity Double Bubble and then attach the MRA vario spoiler blade to that (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...e#overview_tab) or would the MRA various sport spoilder blade be a better choice (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-spoiler-blade)?

I ride the bike often and on long trips, so I want good wind protection. Any other recommendations on a new windshield?

Thanks folks.
boyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
fermic37

A friend of mine has one of those on his ZRX. they work really well.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #3
Dean Dinnetz

When i first obtained my 2002 FZ1 twelve years ago, i tried five different windscreens. The MRA Vario was the best for me. The o.e.m. screen was not bad, but the Vario is much better.

The problem with the gen.1 front fairing is that it is too far forward, and too low. Other than putting a barn door wind screen on the fairing, which i tried and did not like, the wind screen i have used for over ten years, seems to work well for me.

Just my opinion on windscreens. Oh yes, i am 6'2", if that helps at all.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
grommet
kinetic mentality

I love the MRA screen. So much so I adapted one onto my KTM, which does not have a windscreen from the factory.

FYI the spoiler mounts on the FZ1 MRA screen are 9 1/8" apart, center to center. If the bubble on the ZGDB is wider than that, the mounts will not sit flush on the screen and it probably won't work well. I have no idea how far apart the mounts on the stand-alone spoiler are.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

At 6'1, and sitting in my Sargent seat, I haven't found anything I would consider great for wind protection. Actually the best is the 21" Rifle which I do use in the cold weather, mostly as it keeps the wind blast more off of me than anything else. If I sit straight up, I still get that turbulence around my helmet, which wears out my neck on a longer ride. If I lean down a bit and get behind it, it works, but on a several hour long ride that is tiring on the back.

I run the MRA Vario in warm weather, but again, at my height it doesn't do all that much to keep significant wind off. I have found in the evening that putting the spoiler up at max and angled up helps keep some bugs off my helmet visor.

The MRA Vario does look cool. So there's that.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- Penske 8987 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LED headlights- Carbon airbox covers- Fehling engine case guards (footrests!)- MRA Vario shield -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
OldBiker

I only have experience with a Gen 2 FZ-01 but here's what I tried.

I'm 5'10", the stock screen was horrible with severe buffeting at any highway speed. I got a GIVI screen and while it didn't have any buffeting it was huge. I then tried a Chinese knock off of a ZG DB and was very pleased with it but not all that sold. I then picked up a ZG Touring screen and have had it on for three years now (bought the bike in 2013),

I also tried the MRA Spoiler but never could find a position on the ZG Touring screen that enhanced it ($100+ sitting on a shelf now).

Hope this helps a bit.
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:07 AM   #7
boyank

Thank you

Thanks folks, that helps.
boyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:09 AM   #8
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Another vote for the MRA vario. The Gen II I picked up had one and it worked great, so I got one for the Gen I. Works *better* on the Gen II, but was the only one I ran on the Gen I after that as well..

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:31 AM   #9
Alpster1

I'm using a Vario add-on that clips to the top of my Madstad. I'm 6 ft tall with a shorter 30" inseam. I run the Madstad as low as it will go (the rearview mirror stalks interfere) then tip it forward one notch.

That works great with no buffeting but puts ALL the bugs right on my visor. Soooo... I took the Vario and put it all the way down and in to create a spoiler on top. With this configuration I still get quite a lot of air around and through the fairing, but no bugs and the airflow just hits the top of my helmet vent.

I originally got the Vario to go with a Rifle shield, but that screen would flex violently every time I went around a semi....

That said, there are tons of inexpensive smaller deflectors on ebay that might fine tune any screen.
Alpster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #10
Alpster1

I tried the Rifle too, but it really needs a kick-up at the top. put a clamp on MRA on it but the Rifle started flexing horribly, particularly passing semi rigs.

I ended up with a Madstad. Disappointed that the new designs won't go all the way down due to contacting the mirror stalks, but no buffeting.

Because I live in Texas and hate clearing my visor every ten minutes, I put the MRA on top of the Madstad. I put the main shield at maximum rearward lean and almost touching the mirror stalks, the use the MRA as the most expensive spoiler in the world to keep the bugs off my visor.

I'm 6' tall with a longish body and cruising at 70-85 the wind hits right at the air vent on my helmet. No buffeting and plenty of residual breeze to keep me cool most days. This summer I might drill my old Givi to get a smaller profile, but this works fine most days.
Alpster1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 1 Parts & Accessories