click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 1 Parts & Accessories

Old 03-04-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
Betweentheframe

Lowering foot pegs, experience with vario etc?

Do the vario peg lowering system work for gen 1, seems awfully confusing, donít want a haggled together buell thing. I am 6í4 and looking to lower pegs to prevent hip cramp.

Hoping for 1.5Ē if possible
Betweentheframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
bmidd
Here we go again...

I'm about the same height as you, have had 3 Gen1s and I know have a Gen2 with rearsets that is more comfortable than any of the Gen1s. I did the Buell peg mod on the first bike and didn't like it, it moved the feet down, but what you need is to move the pegs backward to help change the angle on the hips. I never tried the Vario pegs because it was a big gamble on whether or not they would move the feet back any. Maybe someone here with Gen1 rearsets will chime in too.
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:01 PM   #3
Betweentheframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmidd View Post
I'm about the same height as you, have had 3 Gen1s and I know have a Gen2 with rearsets that is more comfortable than any of the Gen1s. I did the Buell peg mod on the first bike and didn't like it, it moved the feet down, but what you need is to move the pegs backward to help change the angle on the hips. I never tried the Vario pegs because it was a big gamble on whether or not they would move the feet back any. Maybe someone here with Gen1 rearsets will chime in too.
Found these, looks like vario no longer anywhere mount wise for 1 gen fizzy. These look great and made in usa, which I like. http://www.knightdesignllc.com/Produ...Foot-Pegs.html
Old 03-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
bmidd
Here we go again...

For that price I would get the Buell pegs. Does the same.thing for 1/4 the money.
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Buell pegs also made in USA.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #6
val guy
Go Celtics!!!!!

Look up pegs made by Knight Design LLC. Nice billet pegs that lower your feet about 1.5”.
val guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #7
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by val guy View Post
Look up pegs made by Knight Design LLC. Nice billet pegs that lower your feet about 1.5Ē.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
Betweentheframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
Haha
Old 03-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #9
Betweentheframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmidd View Post
For that price I would get the Buell pegs. Does the same.thing for 1/4 the money.
I donít like gerry rigged stuff, these seam to onvolve less washer bolt situation. Plus i like the rubber for vibration in thw knight deaign and bulky size cause size 13 shoe
Old 03-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #10
val guy
Go Celtics!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post

Hope they work for you.
val guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #11
morgstang
"King of Clean"

Ive tried lowering pegs before and have noticed that you have to really turn your feet at a weird angle to shift or brake...kinda like your pidgeon toed...with a normal footpeg thats straight across you can move your foot around...with the lowered peg the mount moves your foot away from the shifter or brake lever...is it just me or am i missing something?
morgstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:35 PM   #12
Betweentheframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgstang View Post
Ive tried lowering pegs before and have noticed that you have to really turn your feet at a weird angle to shift or brake...kinda like your pidgeon toed...with a normal footpeg thats straight across you can move your foot around...with the lowered peg the mount moves your foot away from the shifter or brake lever...is it just me or am i missing something?
with size 13 boot it's a shit show shifting anyways, and I mostly somewhat aggressively cruise so not obsessed with shift stuff...and who uses the rear brake
Old 03-14-2018, 07:21 AM   #13
Betweentheframe

Knight Rider pegs.

Here are some pics, build quality is amazing, will install in 2 weeks when back at my bike, but definitely solid and comes with pins and cottar pins.EE63781E-7742-4B0C-BBC9-C6A7E410D03E.jpeg

8EBB8DD5-E154-44AD-8949-EE8E4E4F73AF.jpeg
Old 03-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #14
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

I've heard and seen the Buell pegs to be the best solution to us taller riders. None that I've seen looked jerry-rigged in any what way, and I didn't even noticed they were different than stock until it was pointed out. And then I sat on it <3
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #15
Betweentheframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderfighter View Post
I've heard and seen the Buell pegs to be the best solution to us taller riders. None that I've seen looked jerry-rigged in any what way, and I didn't even noticed they were different than stock until it was pointed out. And then I sat on it <3
All those janky looking washers and no rubber isolation for feet...no thanks, been riding long enough to know that donít work for me. http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho....php?p=2212907
Old 03-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #16
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betweentheframe View Post
All those janky looking washers and no rubber isolation for feet...no thanks, been riding long enough to know that donít work for me. http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho....php?p=2212907
Looks good to me! Washers are a common piece of construction for lots of things all over the world. Hopefully these work for you though! Everything I've seen suggest that lower footpegs don't help us tall guys, and getting them back is the solution.
Fortunately I'm still younger than most, and quick standing up alleviates my hips, but some rear-sets would probably be appreciated. I grind the stock pegs enough as it is :O
Old 03-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #17
Betweentheframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderfighter View Post
Looks good to me! Washers are a common piece of construction for lots of things all over the world. Hopefully these work for you though! Everything I've seen suggest that lower footpegs don't help us tall guys, and getting them back is the solution.
Fortunately I'm still younger than most, and quick standing up alleviates my hips, but some rear-sets would probably be appreciated. I grind the stock pegs enough as it is :O
Washers are used for spreading load, not appropriate for spacers unless need one maybe. Looks hokie, I am 6í4 with long legs, if pegs arenít lowered, even on my beemers, I get cramps in my hip. Standing up is usually what I do to unstick my pants from my asscheeks haha.

I also donít like to take a beautifull machine like and FZ1 amd stick some jerry rigged buell crap on it!
Old 03-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #18
FTL900
White and nerdy

I put Buell pegs on my ZRX1100 3 or 4 years ago, and totally forgot they were on there.
I like them, and I have another pair to go on the FZ1.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #19
Betweentheframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL900 View Post
I put Buell pegs on my ZRX1100 3 or 4 years ago, and totally forgot they were on there.
I like them, and I have another pair to go on the FZ1.

Beautiful ZRX. Those look diff than the buell pegs for fz, also no rubber, and from what I have seen the buell legs on fz1 are at a diff angle than the stick.

These solid custom milled pegs from knight design have good weight and rubber pegs, which for me, is important, especially as I like to go for very long multi day rides. Iím also a perfectionist and canít stand things that look jerry rigged when you can see em.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #20
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betweentheframe View Post
Standing up is usually what I do to unstick my pants from my asscheeks haha.

Yes I find myself doing that a lot as the day goes on! haha, I'm sure the drivers behind me appreciate the wedgie picking action.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 1 Parts & Accessories