click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance

Old 03-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
Oldirtyrider
I fall alot

Help please: Today is intake boot replacement day

Ok , so I followed pats page for carb removal sans the carb coolant hookups because the connections were capped off.

I got the first carb out of the lef side . Trying to get the next to remove the throtle cable but im having a clearance issue .

I did everything to get the air box back asfar as possible and is still hanging on both sidesof the carb . Is there any other tricks to get a 1/2" more clearance anywhere?

I yanked on the airbox trying to get it as far back aspossible.
Oldirtyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

I don't have the answer, but I am pretty sure there is a "trick" to getting the airbox back further - like removing the snorkel or a cross-brace somewhere. Perhaps the battery and battery box?

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
Oldirtyrider
I fall alot

I finally got it . I had the cross brace off ... it was just a hair tight causing a hangup . I jiggled it and am good now.

This is scary . Ive never pulled carbs on anything before. But thanks to pat im gettin there.

All hail mighty pats page !!!
Old 03-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
jpgrfan
Resistance is futile!

You'll have the same problem going back in. Batery should be out. Pull the air box back firmly as far as you can and tighten the bolt in the middle at the front of the air box. That will keep the air box back till you get the carbs back in and you're ready to slide the aur box back onto the carbs.

jpgrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
rdcusmc

If you are up to it, you might consider port matching the boots to the head. Doesn't take much work with the Dremel to get rid of the nasty lip of the boots. Pays dividends in power production.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #6
Oldirtyrider
I fall alot

I got it all back together and it looks like I put the throttle cables on backwards because Im at the wall rotating back and throttle side when rotating the grip forward lol

Im done with it for today but I just gotta switch the cables tomorrow and button it up .

I've never taken carbs off any bike before never mind and inline 4 . It was cool learning how to do it and getting the job done myself.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:00 AM   #7
isleoman

You may have done this ...... but Falcon's suggestion is to detach the throttle cables at the throttle tube before getting started.

I had done it with them attached the first time and its doable, but much easier as suggested.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
Oldirtyrider
I fall alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleoman View Post
You may have done this ...... but Falcon's suggestion is to detach the throttle cables at the throttle tube before getting started.

I had done it with them attached the first time and its doable, but much easier as suggested.
I didnt have much trouble with the cables except I put them on backwards and had to take the carbs out again as when I slid them out partial to access the throttle asbly I pulled air box clamp out of place and bent the crap out of it ..

Wrangling those carbs back in place was a mofo by myself but I got it . throttle is correct on the tube now .

just putting erything back together .
Old 03-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
Oldirtyrider
I fall alot

awwww yea . Those old cracked boots must have has a leak as The miss in cold start idle is now gone . And the throttle roll on pulls harder . Gotta love the Gen 1.

I recently met a kid with a new to him Gen 2 Fz1 and wow was that thing tiny . Stance was much lower as were the bars . Looked much more super sport than sport touring . It was a cool bike but Id much prefer my old carbed gen 1 to that bike.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:02 AM   #10
fermic37

hey dont knock em till you tried em!
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:22 AM   #11
Oldirtyrider
I fall alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
hey dont knock em till you tried em!
Naw man . Im not at all talkin bad about it . I looked like a really cool bike . Its just appeared to me to be geared toward a more SS oriented rider . I was mainly surprised at how small it looked compared to the gen 1 .

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance