register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 2 Service & Maintenance

Old 10-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #1
sloowpoke

monitoring the charging circuit?

Having just replaced the battery for the second time (new one only lasted 9 months), I'd like to monitor the charging voltage/current instead of relying on an idiot light that didn't tell me I had a developing problem.

The manual doesn't say how to set the "Multi Function Meter Unit" to display charging voltage or current. In fact... according to the manual, there isn't even an idiot light for the charging system. Am I missing something here? With all this electronic stuff, the ability for real time monitoring of the electrical system is a critical requirement for any troubleshooting.

I suppose I could use a smart phone mount to hold my VOM on the handlebars. Where do you guys normally install the shunt for measuring charging current?

Joe
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

You could install a shunt right at the battery and use a +/- indicating ammeter. Once the battery is fully charged the current should only be a slight positive, with the remainder being consumed by the bike and excess being burned by the regulator/rectifier, with the resultant heat dissipated into the air.

Anytime the ammeter is showing negative would mean the charging system isn't putting out enough juice to run the bike AND charge the battery, so the battery would have to supply the juice.

That combined with a voltmeter should give you the info you're looking for to verify your electrical system isn't about to leave you stranded. Personally, I'd start with just a voltmeter and see if you can get enough info from it to do what you want. I have a Multi-Gauge on my Gen I that give a decent indication whether I'm overloading the system or if my battery is getting weak.

The one thing this would not do is provide you with the actual current being generated by the alternator.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:03 AM   #3
98 220 swift

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just installed this on my bike. It allows me to see the voltage and also charge my phone. I wired into a relay so it is only on when the ignition is on.
98 220 swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:19 AM   #4
sloowpoke

While monitoring voltage alone would probably be adequate for my immediate need, I'm thinking something more along the lines of this for a permanent installation.

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-6-5.../dp/B01JOUZELG

or maybe this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075TZ81BG

...although neither is quite what I want.

I suppose I could make my own, with a DC voltmeter and 3 AC milliameters. Making shunts for the milliameters wouild be the easy part of that project. That would allow me to see at a glance if one phase was producing low current.

Joe
Old 10-08-2018, 07:37 AM   #5
sloowpoke

Well, I'm setting behind the target at a shooting range, with a hurricane on the firing line. I'll be too busy getting battened down to think any more on this project for the next week.

Looks like I'll be using the battery tender jr, nightly, for a while (just in case).

Joe
Old 10-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

If you really wanted to measure all three legs of the alternator output, maybe just couple to each leg inductively, then have a 3 position switch to toggle between them. Never looked at the waveform, but if truly ac, that might be easier.

Good luck with the storm.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Measuring current is possible but tricky, and most importantly, unnecessary. Simply monitoring voltage at the battery terminals directly can tell you everything you need to know.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 2 Service & Maintenance